macOS High Sierra compatibility (release)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scheffkoch

Re: macOS High Sierra compatibility (release)

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:16 pm

...fyi: you don't need java anymore to run m4l...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:13 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...fyi: you don't need java anymore to run m4l...
well, why was I asked to install it?

and the problem seem to be a known issue
https://cycling74.com/forums/unable-to- ... gh-sierra»

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:16 pm

...that's strange...did you use the latest installer?...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...that's strange...did you use the latest installer?...
I noticed .. a previous version of Max is requiring this JR6
the latest 7.34 not anymore

but - however - it's not working

steko

Post by steko » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

jii75

Post by jii75 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:42 am

Yes, I have same issues with M4L, but luckily i got backup from 7.2.4, it works. It's asking admin password, but I can live with that.
Other issue what I have is latency with Push 2 controller. It's almost impossible to play drums from drum rack. Has anyone else noticed any latency/delay issues ?
Third thing which I have noticed is that some VST's is that presets are displayed wrong order (at least U-he and soundtoys).
For me, these are not huge things, because this is just my hobby. IF you are doing some critical work, I think it's better to wait with upgrade :)

filipk

Post by filipk » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 am

Has anyone noticed lag when moving sliders, virtual knobs etc.? It happened after i upgraded to High Sierra on my MacBook Pro. It stops for a fraction of time so the sound skips the smooth movement and jumps right to the destination point. It causing visual and sound lag.
In example: when playing fast with resonance in Analog sound is uneven and you can hear some stuttering.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:01 am

@jii75 and @filipk, currently I can't boot High Sierra so no chance for me to try out. However, the only things I've heard about the general responsiveness of macOS 10.13 High Sierra in general is that it's clearly more responsive in the GUI than 10.12.

So if you got any audio latencies or graphical lags I'd look at compatibility of the interface drivers and what other processes are using the CPU or other resources. Also, some plug-in may be incompatible. AFAIK Live hasn't been declared compatible either. Did you try the new 9.7.5beta?
Make some music!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 am

jestermgee wrote: Yet here is my windows PC with constant updates from Windows 98 to Windows 10 and rarely ever a compatibility issue between updates or complete OS releases (let's just never mention Vista).

Not wanting to start an OS war, just puzzling that things can completely break from one update to the next.
Microsoft takes a very different approach to Apple. wherever possible Microsoft tries to maintain backwards-compatibility. one downside is that a Windows system contains an almighty mess of redundancies and inconsistencies to achieve this. a classic example of this is the fact that the System32 folder in Windows is where you put 64 bit DLLs, and the SysWOW64 folder is for 32 bit DLLs.

jii75

Post by jii75 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:07 am

Stromkraft wrote:@jii75 and @filipk, currently I can't boot High Sierra so no chance for me to try out. However, the only things I've heard about the general responsiveness of macOS 10.13 High Sierra in general is that it's clearly more responsive in the GUI than 10.12.

So if you got any audio latencies or graphical lags I'd look at compatibility of the interface drivers and what other processes are using the CPU or other resources. Also, some plug-in may be incompatible. AFAIK Live hasn't been declared compatible either. Did you try the new 9.7.5beta?
For Push latency: yesterday evening I did following. I removed Push from midi settings, and after ableton restart I put same settings back, and some how Push feels again better. I don't know how and why, might be just placebo effect :)
But at least Push feels again usable. I did try also latest beta, but that didn't help for M4L problems. I did send status report file to Ableton.

Off topic comment: In different forums some people seems to be really angry that there is these kinds of issues, and says that Ableton should fix these right away etc. IF they have so critical project on going, please do not even upgrade :)
Let us other find most biggest bugs first.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 am

The response Ableton gave to CreateDigitalMusic when they asked about High Sierra compatibility was:

"We have no known issues open for the upcoming High Sierra (10.13) update from Apple.
We ensure a functional version of Live on this OS from version 9.7.5 which is due for release mid October.

Before updating make sure your third party VST and AU plugins are compatible with OSX 10.13.
Also please verify that the drivers for your audio and MIDI hardware are compatible with OSX 10.13."

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:54 am

Tarekith wrote:The response Ableton gave to CreateDigitalMusic when they asked about High Sierra compatibility was:

"We have no known issues open for the upcoming High Sierra (10.13) update from Apple.
We ensure a functional version of Live on this OS from version 9.7.5 which is due for release mid October.

Before updating make sure your third party VST and AU plugins are compatible with OSX 10.13.
Also please verify that the drivers for your audio and MIDI hardware are compatible with OSX 10.13."
Tarekith, did you upgrade or under testing? The M4L reported here scares me as my works revolves around some M4L plugins.
Moreover I am somewhat afraid that my FW Audio won't work. I got an iMac late 2013 so I had to buy the Thunderbolt to FW800 converter dongle.
My device it's a class compliant no driver needed device. It worked in Sierra. It should work with High Sierra but not sure.

What do you think?
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:06 am

regardless of any reports about problems or not, it is a very good idea to always make a clone of your system drive before running any kind of upgrade. if you are being super careful you would do this even before running an OS X point release.

once you have the clone, you can even run the OS X upgrade on the clone first, before touching your main system...

cids

Post by cids » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 am

If you have MAX 4 L issues please test the new 9.7.5 beta
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2