Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: Proudly collecting music gear and software for no purpose

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 pm

After months of dithering about it, finally pulled the trigger on an OB-6 desktop this morning. Can't wait for that dreamy, pad-ladden goodness to start :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 pm

Tarekith wrote:After months of dithering about it, finally pulled the trigger on an OB-6 desktop this morning. Can't wait for that dreamy, pad-ladden goodness to start :)
I was dreaming about this one just yesterday. Oberheim dreams always returns…
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:22 pm

It's the first synth I've heard in a long time that has me genuinely excited to dive in and tweak some new sounds into shape. Been on a bit of a synthesis burn out the last few years and focusing on sampling/audio manipulation. Should be fun to dive back into the land of artificial sound :)
Tarekith

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:17 am

You're a Circuit owner, aren't you? So it couldn't keep you excited over time?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:55 am

sporkles wrote:You're a Circuit owner, aren't you? So it couldn't keep you excited over time?
Tarekith does some pretty amazing stuff on Circuit, if you haven't seen his YouTube channel, but I'm seriously frustrated with mine. It refuses to connect to my PC unless I unplug all the other USB devices--so crawling around behind the desk, pulling all the hubs, etc. Completely annoying, so I've given up trying to load new sounds or change the patches, just doesn't seem worth the hassle. I only use it now as a MIDI controller/sequencer for my Eurorack. :x

Edit: I should clarify that... the Circuit will connect to my PC just fine--but Novation's web-based Circuit management software will not recognize that Circuit is connected unless I unplug everything else. Isotonik's software for Circuit runs just fine. Spent some time with Novation tech support, but we were never able to solve it.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_LF4G6EsbA

8O Clearly Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 with a connection between both.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:35 pm

sporkles wrote:You're a Circuit owner, aren't you? So it couldn't keep you excited over time?
I love the circuit, sometimes I just want a proper hardware synth to tweak too though. In all likelyhood I’ll mostly be sequencing the OB6 with the Circuit anyway. :)
Tarekith

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured, and the main reason why I was kind of lukewarm about the Circuit; it just doesn't seem all that different than playing with Push, and why the Circuit Mono seems more interesting, even though it's a lot more limited.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Richie Witch wrote:
Tarekith does some pretty amazing stuff on Circuit, if you haven't seen his YouTube channel, but I'm seriously frustrated with mine. It refuses to connect to my PC unless I unplug all the other USB devices--so crawling around behind the desk, pulling all the hubs, etc. Completely annoying, so I've given up trying to load new sounds or change the patches, just doesn't seem worth the hassle. I only use it now as a MIDI controller/sequencer for my Eurorack. :x

Edit: I should clarify that... the Circuit will connect to my PC just fine--but Novation's web-based Circuit management software will not recognize that Circuit is connected unless I unplug everything else. Isotonik's software for Circuit runs just fine. Spent some time with Novation tech support, but we were never able to solve it.
They have a stand-alone version now, you don’t need to use the web version if you don’t want.
Tarekith

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Richie Witch wrote:In the documentary "I Dream of Wires", one interviewee commented that there are a lot of folks buying modular only to collect them and have no interest or talent in creating music. The upside to this is that there is an exploding market for modules, spawning all sorts of "boutique" houses that are introducing a wave of new modules to the market.

Because of all these collectors, those of us who do use them for music have a much wider array of products to choose from.

So yeah, I hope they keep "collecting". :D
Years ago I bought a alto sax and started to learn to play it. Work/life/practicality etc got in the way and I never gave it the full attention it deserved, however going through stuff to sell I got it out of its case to check it out with intent of selling it. The thing is it is such a beautiful marvel of mechanical instrument engineering I almost feel like sticking it in a display case instead :)

I can understand how people might want some things just as collectors pieces and not actually play them.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Tarekith wrote:They have a stand-alone version now, you don’t need to use the web version if you don’t want.
Yeah, I tried it. It's written from the same code apparently, because it doesn't work any better. :(
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Tarekith wrote:After months of dithering about it, finally pulled the trigger on an OB-6 desktop this morning. Can't wait for that dreamy, pad-ladden goodness to start :)
Great choice, it's the one modern poly synth I think has filters to die for. 8)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 pm

I have fallen headlong down the Eurorack/modular rabbit hole and I forgot to pack climbing gear.

:cry:

:twisted:
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:33 pm

stringtapper wrote:I have fallen headlong down the Eurorack/modular rabbit hole and I forgot to pack climbing gear.

:cry:

:twisted:
Have you picked an ointment to apply to your raw chin from all the scratching?

:P

:x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 pm

beats me wrote:Have you picked an ointment to apply to your raw chin from all the scratching?

:P

:lol:

But seriously, just reading through a thread over at Muffwiggler where someone asks “what’s your favorite filter module?” could turn into a full time job itself.

Unsound Designer