Create custom shortcuts in Live

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tummes

Create custom shortcuts in Live

Post by tummes » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:12 am

There is barely any professional software where you can't create your own shortcuts. Live only gives the option to assign a key to a visible element of the GUI which is pretty limiting in my opinion.

It would be nice to make your own shortcuts like in any other software, maybe even shortcut chains like it is possible in Reaper. I know there is software for that but the shortcuts can be globally only and only utilize the predefined shorcuts from Live.

Being able to bypass a plugin, or switch to "Plugin 3" and hide it with the keyboard. All these things are very tedious with the mouse.

ansolas

Re: Create custom shortcuts in Live

Post by ansolas » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:27 pm

tummes wrote:There is barely any professional software where you can't create your own shortcuts. Live only gives the option to assign a key to a visible element of the GUI which is pretty limiting in my opinion.

It would be nice to make your own shortcuts like in any other software, maybe even shortcut chains like it is possible in Reaper. I know there is software for that but the shortcuts can be globally only and only utilize the predefined shorcuts from Live.

Being able to bypass a plugin, or switch to "Plugin 3" and hide it with the keyboard. All these things are very tedious with the mouse.
This seams to be related (at centercode):
SUG-0817 Customizable key strokes

Please Vote and write a comment with you idea

tummes

Post by tummes » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:52 pm

It is kind of my idea yeah. I wrote a comment.

Can't believe only 20 people so far want to create their own shortcuts :/

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:56 am

21 now. Shortcut sequences would be very nice, combining multiple actions in one keystroke, or maybe even incorporating mouse actions. It would be nice to make a shortcut to for example fill up a bar with 16th notes, or select part of an automation line and with one click have it go from 0 to default within the selected time.

tummes

Post by tummes » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Yes the possibilities are limitless if you have access to Live's functions without programming Python.

franciesko

Post by franciesko » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:09 pm

I fully agree, especially I find the -/+ shortcut for zooming in/out quite annoying. Would be better to use key letters you can easily access with your left hand (as R and T like in Pro Tools)

Kevpierce.nc

Post by Kevpierce.nc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Ctrl alt p was annoying me. The best work around I could find is to customize a button on my mouse. Some Logitech products are customizable.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:02 am

Kevpierce.nc wrote:Ctrl alt p was annoying me. The best work around I could find is to customize a button on my mouse. Some Logitech products are customizable.
Agree. I found just assigning the mouse button under my thumb to CTRL has save me an enormous amount of time.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

swingsetcommittee

Post by swingsetcommittee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:55 am

YES I agree this is so important! Especially being able to re-map the disable key from "0" to something more common with other DAWs. It can be very frustrating switching between DAWs and being forced to use Ableton's fixed shortcuts.

Retrochrome

Post by Retrochrome » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:41 am

I'm terribly late to the party here but yes i agree, being able to edit shortcuts or create new ones would be a massive improvement.

plemer

Post by plemer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 am

Doesn't key mapping accomplish this? https://patches.zone/key-mapping-in-abl ... e-tutorial

Marc450x

Post by Marc450x » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:44 am

plemer wrote:Doesn't key mapping accomplish this? https://patches.zone/key-mapping-in-abl ... e-tutorial
The original poster cited the existing key-mapping as a limitation. What's being discussed is more of an in-depth modification. Example: you can right-click on a midi or audio clip and 'crop clip,' however as there is no existing selectable hotkey or shortcut, you can't create or modify one, so you are stuck using your mouse. Also more complex 'macros' can't be created to carry out multiple string commands. As a work-around, I'm looking for a third-party app that will work reliably within Ableton. If anyone finds one, it would be nice to hear from you.

vido

Post by vido » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:15 am

Marc450x wrote:
plemer wrote:Doesn't key mapping accomplish this? https://patches.zone/key-mapping-in-abl ... e-tutorial
The original poster cited the existing key-mapping as a limitation. What's being discussed is more of an in-depth modification. Example: you can right-click on a midi or audio clip and 'crop clip,' however as there is no existing selectable hotkey or shortcut, you can't create or modify one, so you are stuck using your mouse. Also more complex 'macros' can't be created to carry out multiple string commands. As a work-around, I'm looking for a third-party app that will work reliably within Ableton. If anyone finds one, it would be nice to hear from you.
I totally agree, and "crop" is actually one of the things I miss most when working.

I've tried some third-party-apps and tried making short-cuts on gaming-mouses etc, but somehow things seems to end up with problems of some sort. I may test this again now.
Collab with Jeremy Blake of Red Means Recording:

Blake and Axe; "All The Light I Do Not See"
Spotify: https://goo.gl/MR8Wjr
Tidal: https://goo.gl/s35W33
Google Play: https://goo.gl/HQ1g7E
Amazon: https://goo.gl/cx5dUL

Not the usual stuff.

buffyhot

Post by buffyhot » Tue May 21, 2019 12:27 am

There's s hit ton of hotkey commands that are missing if you've come come from a more linear form of editing - like Pro Tools or Serato.

I am still fairly unfamiliar with everything Live can do and what terms they use to describe everything, but there's a lot that I've been trying to do in the arrangement view, in terms of linear editing and quik-keys, to only find there's no obvious solution.
Stuff like highlighting all the tracks in a group and/or the clips in the track; soloing/muting/track activation a channel/group; making a new clip from the highlighted area and saving it in a slot on the track and/or in the loop library; slicing the audio track and deleting everything to the right/left/both; expanding/collapsing view of a track/group; nudging the play head by a certain amount of bars or time; moving view to where the play head is; setting markers with notes on them; edit info text on multiple clips so that it appends what you write to any existing notes; moving from one clip to the next; fit view window with all clips; set/delete locator; etc.

Should be able to tie locators to specific audio clips.

The list goes on but since I haven't take the time to write it down before I forget the ones that I don't need this moment lol.

If I happened to mention something you know a quick way to do my aim is to use the mouse as little as possible.