Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
henri.turgutyan

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Post by henri.turgutyan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:07 pm

you guys probably know this but i just found out lol

if you're using a laptop,
lower battery power=higher cpu

i have 16 gigs of ram and was playing a track that used like 15% cpu max, and when my laptop was on low battery (like 3%) my cpu shot up to 80%

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Inversoundzzz wrote:on the chorus fx, right click and you can check off crisp or not, has some dramatic effect at high feedback
I'm gonna have to try this!

thank you a lot :idea:

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:40 pm

henri.turgutyan wrote:you guys probably know this but i just found out lol

if you're using a laptop,
lower battery power=higher cpu

i have 16 gigs of ram and was playing a track that used like 15% cpu max, and when my laptop was on low battery (like 3%) my cpu shot up to 80%
I believe this is because many laptops slow the clockspeed down of the processor when at low battery.

hems

Post by hems » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:30 am

invol wrote: (Mac) and use the arrow keys to move the selection to different areas of interface - e.g., Track to Browser to Track View, etc..
This doesn't seem to work anymore? Or is it different? would be very handy

martingrove

Post by martingrove » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 am

If you're trying to sync up songs in a DJ set that haven't been properly warped (either by you because you were lazy or by lives auto function), each audio file has its own little slow down or speed up buttons to sync them up! If you map them to a controller the functions will just control whatever audio file you have on screen!

Saved my ass a few times (late night warping is never good :oops: )

http://imgur.com/a/mqous

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:50 am

not sure if posted yet but I can't say this enough....

DELETE UNUSED SCENES IN SESSION VIEW
DELETE UNUSED SCENES IN SESSION VIEW.
DELETE UNUSED SCENES IN @&$!# SESSION VIEW!

i learned this one the hard way, losing god knows how many hours of my life the past 5 years, maybe more I can't even remember.

essentially, when I created my first Live template MANY years ago, I thought I was super cool with my badass 16gigs of RAM Quad-Core Multi-Hardrive blah blah blah production rig; and I set up a Live template that had HUNDREDS of unused scenes in Session view, just sitting there. I used that template and it's variations for years, all the while with the empty scenes just sitting there, slowing down my projects.

I would get to mixdown phase or the end of tracking (most 60+ tracks, a few songs 100+) with all my tracks frozen or rendered wondering why it took so goddamn long to open a Live Set, Close a Live set, delete tracks, insert tracks, move tracks, group tracks etc.. As a matter of fact before I deleted the 600+ (don't ask) scenes in Session view, I don't think I ever waited for Live to close. I just got used to the crash screen every time I closed and opened a project.

My Session view at tracking now? 15-20 Scenes tops. Mixdowns: 1 Scene.

probably the single worst mistake I've ever made with this program

Xenflex

Post by Xenflex » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Awesome thread.

Not obscure but a lot of people here probably want to know Ableton Live inside out.

There's a new Ableton Live 9 course up on YouTube.

It shows how to use every function of Live while building a track from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KZmVsSQd1c

Includes some free sample packs and the completed Ableton Live project file too.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:35 pm

Sort of a lame way to promote, no? By all means share a trick or two, but just posting a link to your course.....
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Xenflex

Post by Xenflex » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 am

Thanks Tarekith. I'm posting a link to a free tutorial series on YouTube. I'm not asking for money from anyone. I'm sharing free information. If you think that's lame that's your opinion and cool with me.

Hope you're well. Been a while since I interviewed you.
Last edited by Xenflex on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:14 am

it's lame because the thread is about people sharing obscure knowledge.

and your passive-aggressive response is pretty lame too.

TheWholeDamnZoo

Post by TheWholeDamnZoo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:24 am

This is probably common knowledge to most here, but it took me forever to figure it out so I'm posting it in case anyone here is like me...

To record automation without deleting a clip's contents (and without needing to record from session view to arrangement view) - un-arm the track you want to record the automation into and then hit the record button.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:28 pm

TheWholeDamnZoo wrote:This is probably common knowledge to most here, but it took me forever to figure it out so I'm posting it in case anyone here is like me...

To record automation without deleting a clip's contents (and without needing to record from session view to arrangement view) - un-arm the track you want to record the automation into and then hit the record button.
Actually a very insightful aspect of overdubbing, that is easily overlooked. I didn't remember it now, so had to check. Great one!
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 am

not sure if obscure, or just underused ... tidy up unused files and claim drive space.
when you have projects like mine with hundreds of als versions saved in the project you can leave big orphaned recordings behind, stuff you tried out way back in mynewsong-012.als and then deleted from the session - but it's still in the project/recorded folder taking up drive space.

File->manage files, (manage Project) and Live will scan the project folder for all the files used in all the .als sets.
Under "unused files" choose show - and see a bunch of stuff you thought you had thrown away, but it's simply lurking, taking up space.
Delete those files, they are unused in this project.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:22 pm

All cells of a drum rack apparently internally register as C3. Don't know if that is common knowledge or not but just figured it out while doing some work in Max for Live.

timday

Post by timday » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:14 am

That's because simpler defaults to a root note of C3, and it's less hassle to leave it that way for unpitched samples like drums. You can change it in the chains by opening the I/O button if you want a different note.