10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Angstrom wrote: I wonder how long the memory is on this Capture function? Does it grab every note and controller twist from whenever the track was armed, and put all of that into a clip ... because that might be half an hour of me titting around!
That's a good question, it's not in the manual. I know it does around 30 seconds at least, but I don't think 30 minutes is possible. I'll see if I can dig into the limits on that one.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 pm

anyone know if there are any mirrors or other sites besides centercode to download the beta? Its incredibly slow, I just let it run for 5 hours to finish and at the end of all that it had a crc probably because the download stalled from their servers at one point, so it fails to install. If only ableton would host it on their servers this download would have been done in a few min and been fine

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:01 pm

tedlogan wrote:Apologies if it's been stated and I missed it - but is MIDI polyphonic Expression supported in 10? Considering that Push is capable of this (I think), I sure hope so. Linnstrument/ Seaboard / Soundplane etc too...
Answer:
Tarekith wrote:Live 10 does not have MPE yet. Ableton are keenly aware of how many people want this, it's not something they are ignoring.
I think it will be added with the next push which will probably support MPE... :mrgreen:
That way it will look like a much bigger thing since it will work with Push 3.
I think many new features for Live 10 will come with point releases.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Soarer wrote:
tedlogan wrote:Apologies if it's been stated and I missed it - but is MIDI polyphonic Expression supported in 10? Considering that Push is capable of this (I think), I sure hope so. Linnstrument/ Seaboard / Soundplane etc too...
Answer:
Tarekith wrote:Live 10 does not have MPE yet. Ableton are keenly aware of how many people want this, it's not something they are ignoring.
I think it will be added with the next push which will probably support MPE... :mrgreen:
Ahh I see, thanks for informing me.

Not the end of the world, I will live through this news, and carry on.

Regardless, I've just pre-ordered it.

Valery_Kondakoff

Post by Valery_Kondakoff » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:55 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:anyone know if there are any mirrors or other sites besides centercode to download the beta? Its incredibly slow, I just let it run for 5 hours to finish and at the end of all that it had a crc probably because the download stalled from their servers at one point, so it fails to install.
Exactly the same issue. Trying to download the beta for the third time. :(
Anyone can share a link?
Thank you!
CU
VK

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Wow. 8O

This is the upgrade I've been waiting for. And you know you're getting older when you zip right past the new wavetable synth and the effects and straight to workflow improvements. :lol: Multiple clip editing, note chasing and Capture are going to be so huge! And let's not forget the biggest feature of them all: toggle note preview on all tracks! Finally!

M4L integrated is great news, and hopefully this will also improve stability, which has always been a bit of a concern to me with M4L.

I'm a little surprised that the multiple clip editing view apparently doesn't come with more MIDI editing tools, though (like note slicing/splitting, etc.).

And how about over five hours of Live 10 with good old Tom Cosm?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Soarer wrote:
Answer:
Obviously I'm just guessing here like you are, but I don't see any reason why MPE support would require Push 3. It's entirely possible that the new independent of regular midi protocol feature announced in Live 10 of support for Push even in ReWire mode is an indicator that MPE/ poly after touch is being worked on under the hood of Live 10. Just a random hope and guess here, but Tarekiths assertion that Ableton HQ is aware of how much people want these upgrades makes me think we sw them in an update in the next year or so instead of some upgrade path thing.

orionka

Post by orionka » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Audio effects can now be dragged to the Master track's Scene Launch area in Session View.
are those effects applied per scene? 8O

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Tarekith wrote: • Max is now bundled in Live, and no longer requires an external installation.
• Live will always use the bundled version of Max.
• Max is now loaded at startup, instead of when the first Max device is used.

Erik, can you go into any more detail about the nature of this bundled version of Max?

Is it still just the separate Max stand-alone app that gets launched or is it actually running inside of Live’s own codebase?
Unsound Designer

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Pete202 wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
• Max is now bundled in Live, and no longer requires an external installation.
So, is a Java installation still required for M4L to work?
It isn't already now in Live 9. I forgot which recent version of MFL dropped this as a (hidden) requirement, but it has been dropped.

Updated nuanced version: Java 6 is not required with 64bit Max 7.3 and later as it is compatible with Java 8. Why the Java requirement would remain is a mystery as it's only certain devices that may depend on Java, Max itself don't!
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:02 pm

On the pre-order: Payment is when ordering or on release date?

I noticed my other devices got the 20% discount as well.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 pm

orionka wrote:
Audio effects can now be dragged to the Master track's Scene Launch area in Session View.
are those effects applied per scene? 8O
No, it's justr easier to drop them on the master now.
Tarekith

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:16 pm

stringtapper wrote: Erik, can you go into any more detail about the nature of this bundled version of Max?
Is it still just the separate Max stand-alone app that gets launched or is it actually running inside of Live’s own codebase?
It's built into Live now, when you launch Live you can immediately load M4L devices without waiting for Max to load. It doesn't slow down Live launch times either, these have been improved dramatically in Live 10.
Tarekith

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:18 pm

I like these features. Feels more personal, less 'thinks, workaround'. Extending clip length in arrangement, capturing recent ideas, MP3 export finally. All these little things that use technology to let one feel like they're engaging more personally and directly with the software. Sure, most of these have been available in other DAWs for ages. It's nice though when This program gets these features.

I get a warm blanket and Snapchat vibe from their current videos. They want you to relax and make music without being distracted by functionality but still want you to easily feel inspired.

Sorry if that's a purely subjective take. But yeah. Nifty update! Can't wait to give it a go :). Curious about tablet/touch implementation. Any videos of that??

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm

It seems I'm always the guy asking the hard questions but his one I would guess is a hidden feature of Max 4 Live being directly integrated, I'm hoping!

Will M4L work when Live is in Rewire slave mode? It seems to me that integration directly into Live would make this a no brainer?? please please please! :)