10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stringtapper

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Tarekith wrote:
stringtapper wrote: Erik, can you go into any more detail about the nature of this bundled version of Max?
Is it still just the separate Max stand-alone app that gets launched or is it actually running inside of Live’s own codebase?
It's built into Live now, when you launch Live you can immediately load M4L devices without waiting for Max to load. It doesn't slow down Live launch times either, these have been improved dramatically in Live 10.
Thanks Erik.

Just to be totally clear: you’re saying it does not load Max as a completely separate app that you can see as an open app in the Mac OS Dock?
Unsound Designer

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Oops. After further reading it looks like it's just absolute mouse mode being directly available in preferences. Would be nice to at least allow multiple touch points. Slow-drag a filter onscreeen with one touch point while dragging a Send and simultaneously launching something.

Instead it's always let go of one. Touch another. Etc etc

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:40 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
stringtapper wrote: Erik, can you go into any more detail about the nature of this bundled version of Max?
Is it still just the separate Max stand-alone app that gets launched or is it actually running inside of Live’s own codebase?
It's built into Live now, when you launch Live you can immediately load M4L devices without waiting for Max to load. It doesn't slow down Live launch times either, these have been improved dramatically in Live 10.
Thanks Erik.

Just to be totally clear: you’re saying it does not load Max as a completely separate app that you can see as an open app in the Mac OS Dock?
Correct.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Tarekith wrote:Correct.
Hot damn! They did it!

:D
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 pm

Erik Will M4L work when Live is in Rewire slave mode now that M4L is deeply integrated?

If it can this is more than a no brainer upgrade for me. Anything missing in Live in other DAWs is then accessible via rewire, VSTs can be rendered, but if you're truly to access Live in Rewire slave mode then Push 2 has to work (done!) and M4L has to not be disabled in rewire slave mode like it is currently.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:01 pm

That I don’t know, I don’t have any other rewire apps to test with.

[art]

Post by [art] » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:03 pm

The note chase thing, i remember a nice DeSantis tip from a few years back, to essentially latch a note or chord within the clip loop brace, creating an infinite note. Really nice trick for long drones and stuff like that. Will this new chase feature impact this technique? Triggering the note again everytime? Seems like it might be useful, but there might be times where you want to use both. A global pref seems weird if this is the case, could have just made it default and switchable on a per clip basis? Keen to here the way it functions however and look forward to checking out the Beta.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:10 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Angstrom wrote: I wonder how long the memory is on this Capture function? Does it grab every note and controller twist from whenever the track was armed, and put all of that into a clip ... because that might be half an hour of me titting around!
That's a good question, it's not in the manual. I know it does around 30 seconds at least, but I don't think 30 minutes is possible. I'll see if I can dig into the limits on that one.
Does midi capture and over dub work in arrangement view?
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:11 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
Thanks Erik.

It still opens the app in edit mode.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 pm

Machinesworking wrote:It seems I'm always the guy asking the hard questions but his one I would guess is a hidden feature of Max 4 Live being directly integrated, I'm hoping!

Will M4L work when Live is in Rewire slave mode? It seems to me that integration directly into Live would make this a no brainer?? please please please! :)
I think m4l may work in rewire slave now. I cant get mine to launch in slave mode, but its not longer mentioned in the manual that m4l and vsts do not work in slave mode

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Multiple partially-overlapping clips in multiple tracks in arrangement - in 10 can you select just a few clips you need and drag them without disturbing the ones you don't need?

The new nudge-clip-with-arrow keys mentions snapping to grid, how does it work with grid off?

If these 2 alone are implemented properly I'll pay the ransom fee.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:30 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:It seems I'm always the guy asking the hard questions but his one I would guess is a hidden feature of Max 4 Live being directly integrated, I'm hoping!

Will M4L work when Live is in Rewire slave mode? It seems to me that integration directly into Live would make this a no brainer?? please please please! :)
I think m4l may work in rewire slave now. I cant get mine to launch in slave mode, but its not longer mentioned in the manual that m4l and vsts do not work in slave mode
It would be crazy if Ableton allowed VSTs to work in slave mode as well! 8O That would basically ensure that I never even think about Bitwig, which eschewed rewire entirely. Rewire could be great, if developers were willing to do the work to make their DAWs fully functional in slave mode. I get why they don't, but it's a sad point for those of us who bounce around that you cannot just start in say Live and at some point decide you want to use DP9 or some other DAWs particular feature for some part of the process. It would be amazing to have total access like that.

Already I'm completely stoked that it seems possible to always use Lives Drum Racks and Push 2 as your drum machine, no matter what DAW you're using. Hopefully I'm not mistaken on that, but saying Push 2 features are still there even in rewire mode indicates to me that you have access to Lives drum machine features.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:40 pm

well dont get your hopes up until someone can launch it as a slave, ive tried multiple masters and cant get it. Looking at the live 9 manual it didnt mention it either as a limitation

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:40 pm

IronShirt wrote:My take so far:
Most exciting is the enhancements with Push visualization.
Better integration with Max4Live hopefully will keep the CPU down.
Edit multiple clips. Long time coming on that one.
Improved editing in arranger good.
Improved browser good.
Advanced MIDI integration good.
Wavetable looks cool, I already have plenty of similar synths.
Echo...I already have Dub Machines VST so I already have that.
Drum Buss and Pedal I already have that ground covered.
Capture I don't really get over just hitting record.
Groups in Groups...Just more diving down to get to what you want. I like to keep things top level and accessible as possible.
Wish the GUI had more improvements.
Can't believe velocity tweaking on MIDI notes is still small and fiddly.
Unless I'm mistaken still only 8 Macro knobs?

Price of upgrade a bit too high. Should have been no more than $199.
I have the 9 Suite. I think I'll be staying on that for awhile.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:59 pm

dna598 wrote:Does midi capture and over dub work in arrangement view?
yes.