10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:03 am

muthafunka wrote:Multiple partially-overlapping clips in multiple tracks in arrangement - in 10 can you select just a few clips you need and drag them without disturbing the ones you don't need?

The new nudge-clip-with-arrow keys mentions snapping to grid, how does it work with grid off?
I don't understand your first question, sorry.

Nudge works with the currently visible grid in arrange view, so your zoom resolution will determine the nudge amount. I don't know opff hand if there's a way to completely disable nudge to grid.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:04 am

There is no line /bezier tool for automations now ? I expectecd that at least, but the multiple midi clip feature brings that on par with cubase. I also think that the new push layout for midi step sequencing and playing is a cool idea. (Stolen from Novation Circuit, but that was a really cool idea, will that work for Push MK1 aswell ? Or is that MK2 only? Will Live 10 still support MK1 Push?

I belive in functionality, not flashy screens, one of the reasons why i bought live. Not pretty but does the job, i hope it will be the future direction aswell.

Well - i think its a great company and i will buy the upgrade, but i hope that the bezier curves will come soon to us. I mostly do hardware jams now, i would love to see a better integration of external devices, that Live can do sysex with its new iteraton is fine and act as liberian also is a cool idea, NPRN support - that would be the icing on the cake.

That the drum synth have been updated was neccessary, who used them anyway in the current state? I would hope that Abelton also does better integration with Native Instruments Maschine and Komplete, Link was a real cool idea, aswell - if you think about what we already got with 9 -9.5- its good to spend some money on them.
https://soundcloud.com/sternenlicht/rohkostler

Live 9.5 / Push / Omnisphere / Elektron Analog 4 / Analog RYTM /Octatrack

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:11 am

Sternenlicht wrote:There is no line /bezier tool for automations now ?
Not for automation, fades have this though.
Tarekith

dohill06

Post by dohill06 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 am

Where can I get a copy of the manual?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:42 am

hoffman2k wrote:It still opens the app in edit mode.
Shit. Knew it was too good to be true.
Unsound Designer

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:48 am

Can you copy/paste notes between different tracks in the new combined MIDI editor?

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:03 am

jbone1313 wrote:Can you copy/paste notes between different tracks in the new combined MIDI editor?
yea, so any clips you select by ctrl+click show up together. As you click on notes depending on which track they came from that will then highlight all of that tracks notes in your clip view with that tracks color, the rest become grey. So you can highlight the ones you want from one track, click on notes for another track and paste and they will end up in that other track. If you just hover over the notes then it will highlight all the ones from that track with their color, as well as the ones in the current editing track, so its easier to compare rather than color vs. grey

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 am

Awesome thanks. The reason I think this is so cool is that you can record a bunch of big chords in one track, and then distribute the different notes out to other tracks to voice things. Nice.

bubbleandsquawk

Post by bubbleandsquawk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:24 am

Machinesworking wrote:It seems I'm always the guy asking the hard questions but his one I would guess is a hidden feature of Max 4 Live being directly integrated, I'm hoping!

Will M4L work when Live is in Rewire slave mode? It seems to me that integration directly into Live would make this a no brainer?? please please please! :)

I too would very much like to know the answer to this question. Game changer if true.
Anyone testing the beta able to confirm?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:43 am

ezelkow1 wrote: I think m4l may work in rewire slave now. I cant get mine to launch in slave mode, but its not longer mentioned in the manual that m4l and vsts do not work in slave mode
Not yanking your chain, if you don't do it that often it can be confusing.. In whatever DAW you want to be the master you have to have an audio or aux track assigned to Ableton Live input 1&2 at the least before you open Ableton Live. Usually in the audio input or bus section of your DAW. Otherwise Live opens up not rewired into said DAW.

It's also quite possible that the Master DAW only sees Live 9, and 10 is ignored... but that would be odd IMO. Can't remember than ever happening?

bakku

Post by bakku » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:46 am

there is no mention of Index process?

database error, high cpu, sluggishness...

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:29 am

Machinesworking wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote: I think m4l may work in rewire slave now. I cant get mine to launch in slave mode, but its not longer mentioned in the manual that m4l and vsts do not work in slave mode
Not yanking your chain, if you don't do it that often it can be confusing.. In whatever DAW you want to be the master you have to have an audio or aux track assigned to Ableton Live input 1&2 at the least before you open Ableton Live. Usually in the audio input or bus section of your DAW. Otherwise Live opens up not rewired into said DAW.

It's also quite possible that the Master DAW only sees Live 9, and 10 is ignored... but that would be odd IMO. Can't remember than ever happening?
Ahh good to know, yea Ive probably only done it like once before. I think my rewire install is a bit jacked anyway since no hosts I tried could see live as a rewire slave, though live had no problem being a master. Either way, something for someone else to check out who knows better :)

graphixsounds

Post by graphixsounds » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:31 am

how on earth did they drop the ball that hard and not add MPE support?

otherwise the update looks great

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 am

For me this close integration with Max might be really problematic.

If I start Live9 with a default set without a Max device in, it takes 4 seconds to load
If I start Live9 with a default set with a single Max device in, it takes over 60 seconds to load.

Any live set containing a Max device, not the editor, just a device - triggers a massive slowdown then a lockup. That's either on start (if its in the set I click), or when I load a device such as an LFO into an empty set. The app seizes for a long time.

Now in Live 10 it seems the second case is my only option. Will it always take me +60 seconds to start Live now?
That's not gonna be very good.

for those who might say "you should report that", it was filed as BUG-1919 , and BUG-1922 "crash on start", and some changes to Live 9.2 turned that into "slowest start on earth if Max is involved". Unfortunately a change to centrecode deleted all of the conversations and the bug just got closed automatically - and it moved to email.

you better believe I will be re-submitting this every nanosecond if it's in Live 10
Last edited by Angstrom on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:36 am

Live sets load MUCH faster all across the board, with or mithout M4L devices. You should no longer be seeing those long load times, if you are while using the beta, please file a bug report.
Tarekith