10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:51 am

Did you have a 60 second load with Live9 100% of the time if it contained a Max device?

ianedge

Post by ianedge » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:58 am

kitekrazy wrote:
IronShirt wrote:My take so far:
Most exciting is the enhancements with Push visualization.
Better integration with Max4Live hopefully will keep the CPU down.
Edit multiple clips. Long time coming on that one.
Improved editing in arranger good.
Improved browser good.
Advanced MIDI integration good.
Wavetable looks cool, I already have plenty of similar synths.
Echo...I already have Dub Machines VST so I already have that.
Drum Buss and Pedal I already have that ground covered.
Capture I don't really get over just hitting record.
Groups in Groups...Just more diving down to get to what you want. I like to keep things top level and accessible as possible.
Wish the GUI had more improvements.
Can't believe velocity tweaking on MIDI notes is still small and fiddly.
Unless I'm mistaken still only 8 Macro knobs?

Price of upgrade a bit too high. Should have been no more than $199.
I have the 9 Suite. I think I'll be staying on that for awhile.
Yep think I will be doing the same. It feels like a small iteration rather than a giant leap forward, the UI tweaks/beautification seem to be put on top as if to justify it going up a whole number. Without those really this should be 9.8.0

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:24 am

Angstrom wrote:Did you have a 60 second load with Live9 100% of the time if it contained a Max device?
No, sorry.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:30 am

Sorry but I don't get the people complaining about the price.

You get a fantastic wavetable synth, echo machine, drum bus processor, pedal board and various improvements and additions to the program itself. Plus, on top of that, Live is one of the programs that keeps you happy with free updates for several years. I honestly thought the 9.2 update with various Push enhancements or the new 9.5 Simpler device and analog filters where enough to ask for an update price. Just think about what we got in the last year alone.
That could have been Live 10. The amount of work that goes into these things is massive.

Oh and all the little updates and improvements - for me that doesn't look like something on top at all! This is the work of a lot of thinking and improving and it should be payed for.

I can't thank Ableton enough for this low price that will keep me happy for years to come. I often spend more on 1 single plugin.
Last edited by Sarrova-Q on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:32 am

ianedge wrote: It feels like a small iteration rather than a giant leap forward, the UI tweaks/beautification seem to be put on top as if to justify it going up a whole number. Without those really this should be 9.8.0
Well, some incremental update with at least 150 items. Some are really seemingly really big, like a high resolution vector graphics GUI. I wouldn't call that small and I know a few Windows users that feel very happy just for that one.
Make some music!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 am

Angstrom wrote:Did you have a 60 second load with Live9 100% of the time if it contained a Max device?
MFL devices now load faster than some VST's. And booting up Live takes about 3 seconds (on SSD) now. A set with MFL devices and VST's that also boots up Live will take up 5 seconds in my case.
Not sure if that means your situation is fixed now, it looks like the licensing shouldn't be the issue anymore.

ruido_outpost

Post by ruido_outpost » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:49 am

Sarrova-Q wrote:Sorry but I don't get the people complaining about the price.

You get a fantastic wavetable synth, echo machine, drum bus processor, pedal board and various improvements and additions to the program itself. Plus, on top of that, Live is one of the programs that keeps you happy with free updates for several years. I honestly thought the 9.2 update with various Push enhancements or the new 9.5 Simpler device and analog filters where enough to ask for an update price. Just think about what we got in the last year alone.
That could have been Live 10. The amount of work that goes into these things is massive.

Oh and all the little updates and improvements - for me that doesn't look like something on top at all! This is the work of a lot of thinking and improving and it should be payed for.

I can't thank Ableton enough for this low price that will keep me happy for years to come. I often spend more on 1 single plugin.
Sorry but no.
If you want to do a full point update, you do like Presonus did with the update between 2(.5) and 3. There's an update for you.
This is just a wavetable synthesizer, the rest are incredibly minor workflow enhancements (exception being multimidi editing, which I don't use anyways because I use live for Sound design and not music so I couldn't give a shit about that), and some extra effects which you could easily build yourself with 10 minutes creating some racks or, if you are being adventurous, 30 minutes with youtube M¤L tutorials and a M4L-session.

ruido_outpost

Post by ruido_outpost » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:52 am

Machinesworking wrote:
graphixsounds wrote:how on earth did they drop the ball that hard and not add MPE support?

otherwise the update looks great
I'm guessing it's something they will add in an update sometime before Live 11 drops.
It's too requested to pass on, but it might be too much work to debug along with all the other changes.
Like grouptracks. Only took 6 versions. Hey..

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:55 am

ianedge wrote:Yep think I will be doing the same. It feels like a small iteration rather than a giant leap forward, the UI tweaks/beautification seem to be put on top as if to justify it going up a whole number. Without those really this should be 9.8.0
That's not really fair but yes I think most people had expected much more of a version 10.

I still don't understand why there's:

-No VST 3 support(???)
-No real improvements to the existing devices like EQ8 - definitely had expected dynamic EQing, more filter modes and an improved UI here
-No improvements to Simpler and Sampler. Still no warping in Sampler? No true granular mode or extreme time stretching
-No improvement to Live's not-so-great reverb
-A much improved and more DAW-like Arrangement view
-More overall workflow enhancements and changes
-No further Audio editing (really, after all this time?)
-Nothing truly exiting and revolutionary - M4L integration may surely become a very significant addition and lay the groundwork for something extraordinary

No second thoughts about upgrading though - I just preordered and I hope these and more innovative features will come with future updates.
Last edited by Soarer on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:20 am

I watched this thorough video (except he didn't look at max4live or push stuff).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0nKLe9mouM

At first glance, Ableton Live 10 looks like a profound improvement. Better control of browser, better GUI, multiple midi part editing, better automation, great new plug-ins, more control in arrangement view, etc. Not perfect, but still a no brainer. First thought was a gain control on arrangement tracks would be a time saver for automating volume without having to add a utility. That's the only missing wish that jumped out at me.

Edit: Great thing about the "Collections" in the browser is that I have about 50 crappy plugins plus live's crappy plugins that I never use. So I can have a favourite bunch of effects and a favourite bunch of synths, without having to search thru a bunch of junk. And I can hide useless folders that have distracting names like "Sounds". And the colours wake me from Berlin greyness.
Last edited by Martin Gifford on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:35 am

The true question is “Is it actually stable and solid?”

On paper I would buy the upgrade in a heartbeat (preferably with the 20% preorder offer) and use it day one but I still remember the cluster fuck that were the early months (years, honestly) of Live 8.

What’s the consensus on this?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 am

BoddAH wrote:The true question is “Is it actually stable and solid?”

On paper I would buy the upgrade in a heartbeat (preferably with the 20% preorder offer) and use it day one but I still remember the cluster fuck that were the early months (years, honestly) of Live 8.
I actually remember the weird fuckup of L9's early releases. the late betas were really quite stable, and then the initially released versions were all over the place! All the versions prior to 9.2 were broken in unique ways not really seen on the beta. That was very strange.
As for L8 - I was the one guy for whom Live 8 worked perfectly from day one and was never unstable!

Regarding purchasing L10, I just plan to use the 20% off and only install it as my primary once it's stable as a rock. I stuck on L8 until Live 9.2

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Alas I fear MPE is not going to make it into Live 10 as a point release as there are too many perimeter features missing to name a few off top of head multi channel midi tracks, lock automation to notes, vst3 sure there are allot more details missing to make MPE a comfortable prospect.

Got serious ROLI G.A.S

Never the less multi midi clip editing! I'm sold!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Mr-Bit wrote:lock automation to notes
As automation can snap in 10 that shouldn't be that far fetched to see in an incremental version.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:40 pm

BoddAH wrote:The true question is “Is it actually stable and solid?”

Yes, most of the early testers have been using it as their sole daw for weeks or months now. I’ve been using it for client work for about two months now without a single issue.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com