10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bubbleandsquawk

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by bubbleandsquawk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:54 pm

For me the editing workflow and visual enhancements to push are worth it on their own. The new instruments and effects are just a bonus. And if it turns out that m4l integration means full rewire capabilities then it’s most of my wishes granted.
I would love to see proper aftertouch/MPE support though. It’s a bit of a shame they haven’t implemented it yet as push would be a nice controller for it, but I’ll get by.

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:12 pm

Tarekith wrote:
BoddAH wrote:The true question is “Is it actually stable and solid?”

On paper I would buy the upgrade in a heartbeat (preferably with the 20% preorder offer) and use it day one but I still remember the cluster fuck that were the early months (years, honestly) of Live 8.

What’s the consensus on this?
Yes, most of the early testers have been using it as their sole daw for weeks or months now. I’ve been using it for client work for about two months now without a single issue.
Sounds great! :D
It should probably be very stable then once it's released.
Hope I'll get that email about the beta version soon!

Soul's Alien

Post by Soul's Alien » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

I always wanted to use Push 2 while Ableton is rewired slave mode into Pro Tools or Cubase, but does not work at all. It's as if Push doesn't recognize that Ableton is running.

Will it works under the new Ableton 10? Will I be able to use Ableton with Push within a master daw?

Cheers

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:55 pm

ruido_outpost wrote: Like grouptracks. Only took 6 versions. Hey..
Paint the past how you want to I suppose?
Live didn't even get AU or VSTi's until version 4, so how is it applicable that group tracks were some severely overlooked portion of what at that point when Live was more an elastic audio remix / sound design tool than a DAW?

I want MPE and poly aftertouch badly. more so than other features that are in 10, but let's not pretend that they added nothing. Improvements to Rewire are always a plus, SysEx is a plus, improvements to Push if you own one are a plus, improvements in MIDI editing are a plus.. the list goes on.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Soul's Alien wrote:Hi Everyone,

I always wanted to use Push 2 while Ableton is rewired slave mode into Pro Tools or Cubase, but does not work at all. It's as if Push doesn't recognize that Ableton is running.

Will it works under the new Ableton 10? Will I be able to use Ableton with Push within a master daw?

Cheers
If you read the thread or look at the release notes Ableton published you will see that there are apparently improvements in the way Push behaves when Live is in rewire slave mode. So far everyone who has posted who has the beta is incapable for various reasons of testing how much has been improved. Hopefully one of us folks that are gnawing at the bit to see if for instance you can use the Drum Rack sequencer in Push while Live 10 is a rewire slave to DAWs like Pro Tools, Cubase DP9, Logic etc. gets a copy of the beta soon as we can verify that Live 10 is capable of using advanced Push features in Live while Live is a rewire slave.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:06 pm

I thought the price seemed a bit high but it is the same price as 8-9 and I think we are getting our money's worth. If the Wavetable synth proves to be as good as Serum (or even a close second) then that is worth $189 right there. Add in the Drum Buss which sounds a lot like Izotope Trash 2 then there is potentially another $100. For those of us that edit tons of audio files the upgrade pays for itself in time/frustration saved. There is seriously a lot of new stuff in 10 that I dont think most people will realize until they start using it.

redglass

Post by redglass » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:28 pm

IronShirt wrote:My take so far:
Most exciting is the enhancements with Push visualization.
Better integration with Max4Live hopefully will keep the CPU down.
Edit multiple clips. Long time coming on that one.
Improved editing in arranger good.
Improved browser good.
Advanced MIDI integration good.
Wavetable looks cool, I already have plenty of similar synths.
Echo...I already have Dub Machines VST so I already have that.
Drum Buss and Pedal I already have that ground covered.
Capture I don't really get over just hitting record.
Groups in Groups...Just more diving down to get to what you want. I like to keep things top level and accessible as possible.
Wish the GUI had more improvements.
Can't believe velocity tweaking on MIDI notes is still small and fiddly.
Unless I'm mistaken still only 8 Macro knobs?

Price of upgrade a bit too high. Should have been no more than $199.
Just checked my bills from 2013. I payed 169 Euro for the early bird upgrade L8S to L9S.
199/249 Euro is quite a lot, as I payed 249 Euro for M4L in 2009 and now pay again for a stable integration.
But if i devide 199 Euro by 5 (years) thats 40 per year, which I find ok...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:48 pm

Exactly, I take it as £40 a year. Which seems fine to me. even though none of my big wishes were in there I can still appreciate all the workflow stuff and would certainly make use of it all. If somebody came to me and said "Give me £40 and I'll make your hiDPI screen work correctly" I'd probably give it to them!

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Now that's positive thinking :mrgreen:

Actually I only paid EUR 159 for my Live 9 Suite to 10 Suite upgrade, which I'm certainly fine with!

redglass

Post by redglass » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Soarer wrote:Now that's positive thinking :mrgreen:

Actually I only paid EUR 159 for my Live 9 Suite to 10 Suite upgrade, which I'm certainly fine with!
Really? So I want EUR 10 back or 5 from you :lol:
Last edited by redglass on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IronShirt

Post by IronShirt » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:49 pm

159 Euros is $235 CDN. I'm showing $287 CDN to upgrade my suite on the site. At any rate, too late now for price adjustments.

graphixsounds

Post by graphixsounds » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Angstrom wrote:I would bet on MPE for a later point version. I suspect the visualisation will be tough despite the new automation arrangment screen - because Session clips need to show MPE too. And clips have quite an old automation display, still. I think.

It's worth looking at this release schedule for L9 point versions before starting to hold your breath for this feature.
Live 9 - 5 March 2013
Live 9.2 - 29 June 2015
Live 9.6 - 3 February 2016

If L10 releases in March 2018, that would imply a mid-2020 release for MPE support. Or later!
Which might be a little painful.
thats ridiculous. it shouldnt be that difficult to implement. =

graphixsounds

Post by graphixsounds » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:06 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
graphixsounds wrote:how on earth did they drop the ball that hard and not add MPE support?
How can you ask for MPE and ignore polyphonic aftertouch, that's been part of the MIDI spec for 30 years or so? After all, MPE is not even two years and hardware support is limited. There's plenty of PA-supporting hardware out there, also old. Even Push support polyphonic aftertouch AFAIK.
of course, Poly AT is a no brainer. I don't understand why this isnt native in live 9/10. Its just weird when ableton puts Seaboards in their product/studio shots. They commission Roger Linn to give tutorials for their website, and the linnstrument is neglected here in a major way. I just don't get it. Bitwig has had PolyAT/MPE native and Ableton has the Push that supports poly AT and all of this is still missing in Live? Its crazy

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:15 pm

M4Live is now integrated in the Suite, so less problems... but not in Live Standard.

That means, if I upgrade from Live9 standard to Live10 standard, my M4live, which I purchased years ago separately, makes the same problems as always.

In other words: Live Suite Users have no problems for the future to use M4live and the Live Standard Users with a separately
bought M4Live are second-class users.

Thats nice, thank you Ableton.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:17 pm

i was looking at automation delay compensation - it isn't fixed for live 10, apparently, or the visual indicators (not too surprising, but sad). i didn't test audio compensation (yet) but that used to work fine, it was just the automation.
but i do find the results encouraging for other reasons.

here's my test config:

- single track, with a 4/4 beat in it
- Cableguys volumeshaper set to duck all but the first beat. VolumeShaper is great, because it shows a beat-synced view of the waveform. So after this volumeshaper, only the first beat should come through.
- Put 4-5 Liquidsonics Reverberate in a row, set to 8192 latency (for the longest latency I can get). 4 of them is around 170ms, about 1.5 beats or so. (substitute your own long-latency device).
- Put another volumeshaper after it. You'll see that it finds the single drum hit halfway through beat 2, way off where it should be. And if you copy the config from the one before, you won't get any output at all.

So it works just like Live 9. Why is this encouraging? Because, bizarrely, the M4L devices appear to be in sync somehow, or maybe it's something different about how they work?

- Instead of the second VolumeShaper, put a Shaper, followed by a Utility. Set the shaper to rate = 1, and set it up like volumeshaper so it only allows the first beat through. Set the offset to -100% (which may be a bug), and map it to the utility gain. This time, it works perfectly, and lets the first beat through properly (although it doesn't show what it's doing; another volumeshaper after, or in the master channel, shows it's still way off where Live thinks the beat is). So there is a workaround with built-in Live objects now.

I'm guessing this would work for mapping to the filters in AutoFilter as well - or maybe there should be an explicit just 'Filter' object for use this way.

It's something... I haven't tested this thoroughly, but this is the #1 thing I'd do with it anyways, so it's useful...