Polyphonic Aftertouch in Live 10: The Thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
acYm

Polyphonic Aftertouch in Live 10: The Thread

Post by acYm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:07 pm

We demand to know if Live 10 still filters out the Poly Aft midi message and if so, we demand to know exactly what excuse it is that Ableton think they have for Poly Aft being filtered out.

Thank you.

Tarekith

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch in Live 10: The Thread

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm

We demand you stop demanding or else someone else might demand something too and then it's not really worth demanding anything in the first place is it?

acYm

Post by acYm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:03 pm

for vst3 there is a clear explanation: nobody cares about vst3, it's only for cubase where the vst2.4 implementation was problematic.

for MPE it's a shame but let's look at it logically: if they can't even make Poly Aft work, what hope is there for MPE?

acYm

Post by acYm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Tarekith wrote:We demand you stop demanding or else someone else might demand something too and then it's not really worth demanding anything in the first place is it?
with my demands I'm merely trying to help Ableton understand how stupid they look, selling Poly Aft compatible hardware but filtering out the midi message for god knows what.

safe to say every single owner of a poly aft instrument shares these demands, honestly.

sj1

Post by sj1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:50 pm

I'll add here a copy of a request I made in the Feature Wishlist section:

"Ability to record/save ALL MIDI data (all event types), filtering only when/if specifically directed to do so by me."

Seems simple enough (both conceptually and technically) ...

As it is, I'm doing almost all my work elsewhere than in Live, specifically because Live's MIDI features are too weak.
Live 11, Windows 10 Pro, LPP MK3

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:59 pm

sj1 wrote:…Live's MIDI features are too weak.
I won't argue with that. It always has been. Remember, Live only got MIDI at v4.

It's funny because with M4L you've got one of the most powerful MIDI manipulation tools that exists right there inside of it (Max), but the ins and outs are hobbled on Live's end.

What I wonder is how the SysEx implementation in M4L in Live 10 is working. Is Live itself now able to handle SysEx, or is it being handled by Max externals that will now be vanilla Max objects? If it's the former then that would indicate that they're moving in the right direction with regard to MIDI.
Unsound Designer

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:37 pm

acYm wrote:
Tarekith wrote:We demand you stop demanding or else someone else might demand something too and then it's not really worth demanding anything in the first place is it?
with my demands I'm merely trying to help Ableton understand how stupid they look, selling Poly Aft compatible hardware but filtering out the midi message for god knows what.

safe to say every single owner of a poly aft instrument shares these demands, honestly.
Agreed, but please ask for this very reasonable support of the MIDI spec without sounding as stupid as you suggest Ableton look. OK.

I think a vast majority of users want Poly AT and quite many Sysex, NPRN and MPE as well.
Make some music!

acYm

Post by acYm » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:26 am

Yeah well the pre-orders are up. Ableton can see some more of my money but they have to be honest and up-front about it. It's a yes or no answer, here.

Yes, the MIDI protocol in Live now functions properly, we sorted it out for you guys.

OR

No, tough shit if you'd like to use Poly Aft, use a DAW for musicians for that.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:01 am

hey, post your mailing address and i'll send you a box of tissues!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 am

acYm wrote: for MPE it's a shame but let's look at it logically: if they can't even make Poly Aft work, what hope is there for MPE?
There are no valid reasons these days to wait for Poly AT implementation. While MPE is much younger I'm not sure what could be held against it, beyond the protocol may still be in evolution (?), in dispute (?), not standardized enough (?) or have still not wide support.

I don't see MPE arriving on the scene without Poly AT getting implemented first. While these are separate protocols, I assume some aspects can share code or presentation at least.
Make some music!

graphixsounds

Post by graphixsounds » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
acYm wrote: for MPE it's a shame but let's look at it logically: if they can't even make Poly Aft work, what hope is there for MPE?
There are no valid reasons these days to wait for Poly AT implementation. While MPE is much younger I'm not sure what could be held against it, beyond the protocol may still be in evolution (?), in dispute (?), not standardized enough (?) or have still not wide support.

I don't see MPE arriving on the scene without Poly AT getting implemented first. While these are separate protocols, I assume some aspects can share code or presentation at least.
it just makes no sense. Bitwig had it right out of the gate. for a software that completely ripped Ableton live, you would expect Ableton's roadmap to be a touch more competitive

acYm

Post by acYm » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm

So?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 am

Indeed.

acYm

Post by acYm » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Well, from what I can gather, there's no poly-aft in Live 10?

That's insanely pathetic.

If switching a 0 to a 1 somewhere in the codebase is too complicated... opening my wallet for this update will prove very problematic as well.