10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Soarer

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by Soarer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:27 pm

bigmuz7 wrote:Sorry but ... I cant be arsed to read 11 pages of fan boi stuff VST3 support... yes or no yet ?
Sorry - this is inside knowledge reserved for fanboys only.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:If the Wavetable synth proves to be as good as Serum (or even a close second) then that is worth $189 right there.
That remains to be heard. Don't get your hopes up though. Be realistic.
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:51 pm

silversurfer60 wrote:M4Live is now integrated in the Suite, so less problems... but not in Live Standard.

That means, if I upgrade from Live9 standard to Live10 standard, my M4live, which I purchased years ago separately, makes the same problems as always.

In other words: Live Suite Users have no problems for the future to use M4live and the Live Standard Users with a separately
bought M4Live are second-class users.

Thats nice, thank you Ableton.
No, your M4L, even "only" as an add-on to your Standard Licence will work as good as in Suite. You will use exactly the same Max as Suite owners. Don't worry.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
mekanism1200 wrote:If the Wavetable synth proves to be as good as Serum (or even a close second) then that is worth $189 right there.
That remains to be heard. Don't get your hopes up though. Be realistic.
Probably not no. It's certainly CPU efficient! In his Live 10 video Tom Cosm tried to see how many instances he could run before getting problems and he could run 150 instances! That was on a new powerful laptop and with only one oscillator running but that still is a lot.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:06 pm

Hmm, that seems weird. I had a play about with it and it was touching 35% cpu quite easilly with just one instance.

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:17 pm

It might have been a simple patch...
He starts duplicating here:
https://youtu.be/QjqSiUU72dI?t=23m33s
(sorry don't know how to embed)

igneous

Post by igneous » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:56 pm

+1 for MPE shock. The seaboard RISE has tons of Max support, but trying to get it to halfway work in a M4L patch with workarounds was ultimately a most frustrating and disappointing experience. A bit sad that MPE support isn't included in Live 10.0

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:56 pm

As soon as you turn on the 2nd oscillator and crank up the Unison the Wavetable uses a lot of CPU as to be expected.

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:25 am

igneous wrote:+1 for MPE shock. The seaboard RISE has tons of Max support, but trying to get it to halfway work in a M4L patch with workarounds was ultimately a most frustrating and disappointing experience. A bit sad that MPE support isn't included in Live 10.0
If Max is now so well built into Live couldn't MPE support in Live possibly come through a new very skillfully crafted M4L patch?
It's quite long ago that Isotonik studios made multiclip editing via a Max patch in Live so maybe more is possible now?

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 am

Soarer wrote:
igneous wrote:+1 for MPE shock. The seaboard RISE has tons of Max support, but trying to get it to halfway work in a M4L patch with workarounds was ultimately a most frustrating and disappointing experience. A bit sad that MPE support isn't included in Live 10.0
If Max is now so well built into Live couldn't MPE support in Live possibly come through a new very skillfully crafted M4L patch?
I wonder if MPE related discussions could be brought to a separate thread?

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:30 am

Soarer wrote:
It's quite long ago that Isotonik studios made multiclip editing via a Max patch in Live so maybe more is possible now?
I would go out on a limb here and say that Ableton will definitely be adding this to an update after the initial release sometime. I think it's much harder than people think to implement, in the same way it took them forever to get clip record automation implemented, but they're on it.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:38 am

On Push 2, in audio clip mode, can you now control the various parameters for each Warp mode?

For example, when in Beats mode you can tinker with Preserve, Loop Mode, and Transient Envelope to alter loops quite a bit; in Tones mode you have the Grain Size parameter instead; in Texture mode you also have Flux; and so on.

It only seems natural to have those available to play with. Altering the Transient envelope on rhythmic loops, in one shot mode, has a very satisfying gating effect (thanks to Stoni's "Percussify" video from the "One thing" thread).

Oh yeah - can you also browse clips now from Push as well?

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:50 am

So now that Ableton has opened the full screen synth can of worms I wonder if we will see other machines like operator get some full screen love?

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:10 am

Tarekith wrote:
muthafunka wrote:Multiple partially-overlapping clips in multiple tracks in arrangement - in 10 can you select just a few clips you need and drag them without disturbing the ones you don't need?

The new nudge-clip-with-arrow keys mentions snapping to grid, how does it work with grid off?
I don't understand your first question, sorry.

Nudge works with the currently visible grid in arrange view, so your zoom resolution will determine the nudge amount. I don't know opff hand if there's a way to completely disable nudge to grid.
Sorry, badly explained...I'll try again...

trk 1 clips go bars 3-7
trk 2 clips go bar 2-5
trk 3 cips go bar 4-10

I want to move trk 1 clip AND trk 3 clips together so I cmd/click trk 1 then 3 = it grabs trk 1 but trk 3 only up to bar 7. Try dragging them and only the selected part of the trk 3 clip gets dragged, splitting it and leaving an orphaned chunky mess.
Select the trk 3 clip first, then trk 1 and you get trk 1 clip pulled into bits....and god forbid you actually have other bits of audio randomly trapped in the front/back zone...
Shift/click selects everything in the clips BUT it also selects any random chunks of clips caught in the crossfire on other tracks in between.

I would love to be shown the light on this if I've been missing something all these years...if not, how about in L10? Especially in combination with the L/R arrow-nudging in 10 it's crucial to keep relative positions between clips.

dr_loop

Post by dr_loop » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:33 am

graphixsounds wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
graphixsounds wrote:how on earth did they drop the ball that hard and not add MPE support?
How can you ask for MPE and ignore polyphonic aftertouch, that's been part of the MIDI spec for 30 years or so? After all, MPE is not even two years and hardware support is limited. There's plenty of PA-supporting hardware out there, also old. Even Push support polyphonic aftertouch AFAIK.
of course, Poly AT is a no brainer. I don't understand why this isnt native in live 9/10. Its just weird when ableton puts Seaboards in their product/studio shots. They commission Roger Linn to give tutorials for their website, and the linnstrument is neglected here in a major way. I just don't get it. Bitwig has had PolyAT/MPE native and Ableton has the Push that supports poly AT and all of this is still missing in Live? Its crazy
... exactly my thoughts!
I think its time to face the truth. MPE/PolyAT will *never* happen!! :roll:
So they can force us to spend double dollars and by *Bitwig* instead.
Because Ableton and Bitwig are basically the same company. :evil: