Live 10 upgrade path

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Noxoreos

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Noxoreos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 am

Here is the shop where I found the 9 Standard to 9 Suite upgrade for 199€ (it's in German). That shop has the same 20% deal on it right now: https://www.elevator.de/ableton-live-9- ... rsion.html

The info about getting a free upgrade to 10 Suite is here (after you logged out): https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/

On monday I'm gonna ask my colleague how much he paid for the 9 Standard to 9 Suite upgrade, just to confirm, but if I remember correctly, he got his upgrade for 199€ from within the the Ableton shop, where the free Live 10 upgrade is advertised as well.
I'd say this is normal upgrade policy. Just like buying a new whatever version of 9 right now. The grace period works for all things bought from the moment (minus x days?) the announcement was made.
That doesn't mean it's fair pricing. Why should someone be able to do a "double upgrade" for the same price as others, that are already half way there? There is an option missing in my opinion, because technically you're not buying something new here, but also just upgrading. I would be totally fine for completely new customers to get this special deal but not for upgrades.
Last edited by Noxoreos on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Running Ableton Live 9.x and Push

Website
Soundcloud
YouTube
Twitter

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:18 am

Thanks Noxoreos!
Make some music!

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:30 am

Noxoreos wrote:That doesn't mean it's fair pricing. Why should someone be able to do a "double upgrade" for the same price as others, that are already half way there?
I'm not sure about the use of 'fair' in this context, but I get your point.

I'm also all for an extra 10% in case of Suite upgrades if that's what you're after. :wink:

Noxoreos

Post by Noxoreos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Tuur wrote:
Noxoreos wrote:That doesn't mean it's fair pricing. Why should someone be able to do a "double upgrade" for the same price as others, that are already half way there?
I'm not sure about the use of 'fair' in this context, but I get your point.

I'm also all for an extra 10% in case of Suite upgrades if that's what you're after. :wink:
Yeah something like that would be nice. Something that balances the "price per upgrade-step" a bit better.

Website
Soundcloud
YouTube
Twitter

apcut

Post by apcut » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Buy Push now or wait untill Live 10 is out?

I have L9 Suite now but I'm not sure if there's a better bundle price on Push+upgrade to 10 once it's released.

Any thoughts?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:43 pm

apcut wrote:Buy Push now or wait untill Live 10 is out?

I have L9 Suite now but I'm not sure if there's a better bundle price on Push+upgrade to 10 once it's released.

Any thoughts?
There will always be better deals, but now is when to make music.
Make some music!

pinosvalle

Post by pinosvalle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:06 am

If I upgrade from 9 Intro to 9 Suite now... I'll get a free upgrade to Live 10 Suite, ok.

And then... Will I be able to use Live 9 and Live 10 separately with the same license? Will I have different licenses for 9 and 10?

apcut

Post by apcut » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:42 am

Stromkraft wrote:
apcut wrote:Buy Push now or wait untill Live 10 is out?

Any thoughts?
There will always be better deals, but now is when to make music.

Sure I won't wait with making music :wink:

But maybe some people here have experience how Ableton priced updates+push purchase in the past?

If i can save 100€ by holding my gas for a Push for 2 months I'll be willing :)

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 am

pinosvalle wrote:If I upgrade from 9 Intro to 9 Suite now... I'll get a free upgrade to Live 10 Suite, ok.

And then... Will I be able to use Live 9 and Live 10 separately with the same license? Will I have different licenses for 9 and 10?
The License you use for the upgrade will become integral part of your current license chain. You will be able to use both, but not be able to sell any of them individually.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:07 pm

I would be very surprised to see Push 3 announced at Loop. But you can always wait a couple of days... ;)

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:29 pm

They did an end-of-year 20% discount on Push 2 last year though. :!:

It started mid November 2016...

G&E

Post by G&E » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:48 pm

When I log in to my account and try to pre-order upgrade from Live 9 Suite to Live 10 Suite, it doesn't give a price. It only reads "Your Live 10 license will be available soon" with no price for the upgrade???

Noxoreos

Post by Noxoreos » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:23 pm

G&E wrote:When I log in to my account and try to pre-order upgrade from Live 9 Suite to Live 10 Suite, it doesn't give a price. It only reads "Your Live 10 license will be available soon" with no price for the upgrade???
I guess this depends on when you bought 9 Suite. if I go to this page, it shows 199€ as the price (also from 9 Suite to 10 Suite): https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live-10/
I would be very surprised to see Push 3 announced at Loop.
I don't think that's going to happen, either. Push 1 was around for about 2 years and 9 months before Push 2 was release. And there were quite a few things to improve upon, like the screen being dated already, when it was released. Now Push 2 is out for just two years now and it doesn't have that problem of "looking dated" and has a lot of potential to do even more (as we see with Live 10 upgrade). Just my personal opinion, but I think it'll take at least one or two more years until Push 3 is going to be released. Maybe the new one will even include a touchscreen, and likely with a much higher pixel density, as those are getting cheaper every year.
I'd wish for some kind of integration of the timeline view as well. NI seems to go into that direction lately. As does Cubase with their app.

Website
Soundcloud
YouTube
Twitter

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 pm

I don't disagree that the cost of v.10 from v.9 is expensive . . . but I'll spend it regardless. If I think about the evolution of v.9 over the last few years and how many enhancements came to it over that time - for free. I would certainly expect v.10 to evolve in a similar fashion after the first x.1.0 release

thanks Abes !
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:27 am

The cost of upgrade (and value for money) will be subjective to how a user uses Live I guess.

I have just downloaded the Beta and after probably just 20 minutes i'm sold on the upgrade cost, though I was already anyway. And i'm currently a cash strapped student back at technical school so I don't have money to just throw around.

As has been said, Ableton have improved a lot of things during Live 9 with the Beta program helping immensely. Not just improvements to the program itself but improvements to how they take feedback and interact with customers. We actually have information from the developers and channels to feed things back easily. I know there was a comment about how the test data is sub standard because people aren't really good test subjects BUT it does add a lot of extra valuable data and a large market of different hardware and some of the users here are excellent at providing useful data and helping to track down issues... not all of us are average Joe users, some have technical qualifications in Beta testing and reporting.

It will never catch everything but a any new release that comes out as x.0 or x.1 should be considered an unofficial public beta since several companies I have worked with pretty much operate on that premise and even development I do is released to a small group frirst, adjusted if required then released to a bigger target.

I have opened up some of my larger projects straight away to test Live 10 and instantly I notice they load a little quicker and the CPU load in my projects appears to be about 10% less which is great. One project that has 16 instances of Omnisphere and a lot of large string and guitar instruments would occasionally stutter when it got towards the end with a 75% load... It plays smoothly in the beta and CPU meter never went above 55% on that one so that is a massive improvement and I could not be happier.

The enhancements throughout the program from the new Zoom mechanics (that are in-line with most other media programs) to the new clean font to the new colouring of everything in my favourite dark themes makes things a lot easier to focus on.

The new enhancements to Push like the EQ8... Fantastic and no extra load noticed at all from the PushProcess.

So far I am extremely impressed and think just the software enhancements, integrated Max (may even start using that now) and improved performance is well worth the cost currently then the extra effects and instruments on top of that are just a bonus. Then there is the 3 years of updated features we have to look forward to, I mean FFS a Netflix subscription would probably cost more per year than this update.