10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:33 am

I like that it's not a massive change to things, but enough of a visual tweak that it finally feels like it's had a proper facelift. I've been fried on looking at the same old Live for ages now, this is a huge deal for me. There's a LOT of small tweaks to things like corners and text spacing, and it really feels a lot more modern. Some animations are 60fps now too, so it feels a lot snappier to me. Maybe placebo effect, I admit.

Working in arrange view is a lot easier for me too, the new fades are a HUGE favorite of mine. The new Zoom key commands are handy, as is not having to hold Shift and press "-" to zoom out now. Takes awhile to get use to the new way of selecting and editing clips in arrange view (clips are divided horizinally 50/50 into moving and selecting zones), but now I'm digging it.

Wavetables and Echo are probably my favorite new additions, especially with the way they are displayed on Push 2. Almost gives it a futuristic hardware synth feel. Drum Buss does magical things with the low end of kicks though.

Other new things I find useful:

- Being able to see when updates are out for Packs in the browser now. Being able to download my Packs from the browser too.
- The new context menu item that lets you color all clips on a track the same color as the track itself, very handy.
- Auto-backups. Not only can you undo after you save now, Live automatically makes back ups of your project every ten minutes, keeping the ten most recent ones (I think that's the scheme that's implemented, don't quote me).
- It opens and closes a lot faster now. I don't even have time to see what version the beta is most of the time.
- Being able to quickly show and hide automation with just the "A" key. Curious to see what others think of it though.
- Utility now goes to -inf! It also has a bass mono setting, with adjustable cutoff point.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 am

Tarekith wrote:- Being able to quickly show and hide automation with just the "A" key. Curious to see what others think of it though.
I already know what I think of it and I'm not even in the beta yet.

I like it because it's a direct lift from Logic. Same command.
Unsound Designer

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:28 am

stringtapper wrote:
Tarekith wrote:- Being able to quickly show and hide automation with just the "A" key. Curious to see what others think of it though.
I already know what I think of it and I'm not even in the beta yet.

I like it because it's a direct lift from Logic. Same command.
Make some music!

bubbleandsquawk

Post by bubbleandsquawk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:47 am

Sorry to beat on about it, but I’m still champing at the bit to find out if m4l integration means full compatibility with rewire. Anyone had a chance to check this yet?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 am

Pete202 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
Pete202 wrote:
So, is a Java installation still required for M4L to work?
It isn't already now in Live 9. I forgot which recent version of MFL dropped this as a (hidden) requirement, but it has been dropped.
Thanks for the clarification. :-)
I updated my answer:
Updated nuanced version: Java 6 is not required with 64bit Max 7.3 and later as it is compatible with Java 8. Why the Java requirement would remain is a mystery as it's only certain devices that may depend on Java, Max itself don't!

I hope I'm right Java dependency actually have been dropped, but I couldn't find any info supporting that. I have both Java 6 from Apple and Java 8 from Oracle installed as I have other older apps dependent on the former and I develop Java apps with the latter.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:33 am

What about the cpu efficiency ?

I read somewhere that the same project opened on Live 9 and Live 10 is gaining few % of cpu with Live 10. I mean, less cpu with Live 10.

Is it true ?
Any of you did some testing regarding this aspect ?

And what about cpu efficiency while rewiring Reason ? Still the same (even if I think that the problem is more on the Propellerhead side) ?

bubbleandsquawk

Post by bubbleandsquawk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:50 am

Ok I think I can stop going on about it now. Just found this FAQ for live 10 here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... hnical-FAQ

It says: Please note that Max for Live does not work when Live is in ReWire slave mode.

:cry:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:54 am

bubbleandsquawk wrote:Just found this FAQ for live 10 here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... hnical-FAQ

It says: Please note that Max for Live does not work when Live is in ReWire slave mode.
I do wonder what could be the technical reason for this limitation? In my mind there should be no changes to any functionality not directly involved in tempo or sync modulation whether Live being Rewired or not.
Make some music!

stereodrive

Post by stereodrive » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:02 am

One question to beta testers: Can you grab different tracks and change multiple waveform fades at the same time?
Mac Studio (2022)
Apple M1 Max
32 GB Ram
14.3.1 Sonoma

bubbleandsquawk

Post by bubbleandsquawk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:10 am

Due to the m4l limitations, I’ve never really explored it properly but apparently you can’t even use 3rd party plugs in slave mode (news to me!), nor can you use a hardware controller. It’s such a shame. For me live is so much more an instrument in itself than a DAW strictly speaking. It’s certainly how I use it but generally I find it better to track large collaborative projects in another DAW. I just wish they could get along so I can just plug my Live session into a larger project contained elsewhere.

condra

Post by condra » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:56 am

stereodrive wrote:One question to beta testers: Can you grab different tracks and change multiple waveform fades at the same time?
No.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:59 am

condra wrote:My first impressions after 2 days beta testing:
-- Overall worth the upgrade price for sure.
-- New font won't be to everyones taste
-- Arrangement workflow improvements are superb and very intuitive
-- I can't find any bugs. I'm trying!
-- Wavetable is a CPU hog (for now), but otherwise great
-- Capture is more useful than you might expect!
-- Pedal is brilliant
-- Drum Bus and Echo are pretty cool
-- MIDI editing is better than ever
-- Vector Graphics and higher frame rate are nice

I don't think this is gonna set anyones balls on fire, but those of us who use Live (and finish projects) regularly, will get more done, far easier.

Sounds great. Can’t wait to try.

It looks like Ableton has listened to many user requests with 10 and remaining competitive.

Way to go Ableton.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:11 pm

I'm very relieved to see that the transition seems to be smooth for NativeKontrol users! :D
Live 10 compatibility

stereodrive

Post by stereodrive » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:40 pm

condra wrote:
stereodrive wrote:One question to beta testers: Can you grab different tracks and change multiple waveform fades at the same time?
No.

Thank you - bummed
Mac Studio (2022)
Apple M1 Max
32 GB Ram
14.3.1 Sonoma

frabo

Post by frabo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:29 pm

is it possible to open/close third party plugins from push (2) ?

this one I really need !