follow actions in scenes, scene change after longest clip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hellier309

follow actions in scenes, scene change after longest clip

Post by hellier309 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 pm

Still no follow actions on scenes in ableton 10, or a fix to this problem below.

I want to be able to get scenes to play in full before moving to the next scene if the clip length is something longer that 8 bars you have a problem. my current set has 10 and 12 bar lengths in it, as well as different time sigs and tempos. I've tried isotonik follow scene device but again you have a problem if your set has changes in time sig and tempo scripted into scenes the device will work some of the time but not consistently.

Support suggested using IAC bus and dummy clips with midi cc but this still wouldn't give you the simple freedom of being able to move around any scene within the set.

Feels like it would be so simple to fix by making the next scene happen after the longest clip not the global quantise.

Seems like such a strange limitation to a program based on "live" manipulations of arrangement elements

any thoughts?

yur2die4

Re: follow actions in scenes, scene change after longest clip

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 am

Could try clyphx. Requires having an entire channel dedicated to clips that do commands but it's a great and flexible tool

hellier309

Post by hellier309 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:47 am

cheers for the suggestion

I will give it a go, it does appear from the script choices in the pdf to have some scene changing scripts but nothing that defines the exiting scene to play to it's end which will
mean the next scene will play in relation to the global quantise value (back to that problem if your clips are not 2/4/8 bars in length)

I just have a more fundamental issue with this lack of options in scenes. this isn't cheap sequencing software that's just been written. it's a mature product that seems not to have
basic functionality for scenes changes built in.

I had got around the problem partially with follow actions on clips (all the clips) but again i shouldn't have to do this, it should just work.
I still had issues with this work around because when I decided to interrupt the clips and go back to a previous stream the global quantise issue stops it from working properly.
and of course the scripting for bpm and time sig changes reside in the scenes.

s

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:27 am

Just for clarity, the scene launching issue with different time signatures is a Live thing and not something that's down to the Follow maxforLive device.

Cheers
D

hellier309

Post by hellier309 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Sorry Darren,

I didn't mean to suggest that the follow scenes device was the problem
You can only work with what's under the hood for ableton which is what i'm trying to flag here.

Cheers

s

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Not a problem, just didn't want any confusion... All good!

Cheers
D

hellier309

Post by hellier309 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Darren,

What do you think about this? have I missed something? I've notice quite a few people wanting this functionality, I suppose your device wouldn't exist if ableton
got this working.....

s

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:49 pm

pm sent.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

pairajacks

Post by pairajacks » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Has anyone gotten Clyphx (or other workaround) to work for this?

I've also run into this:
I started using EZDrummer to generate an intro, verse, and chorus in Session View, and then start filling in bass, guitar, or whatever inspires me in a hands-free environment... But Ableton scenes behave very odd. After inserting follow actions & clip lengths for the 3 drum clips (sure would be nice if the software was smart enough to do this instead of using a mouse), changing scenes only affected the drum clips. (I know I can click-cntl select all the clips in a scene and set the follow and length for the entire row, but this absolutely ruins the creative juices. "Live" becomes pretty dead IMHO)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Suggest logging it with specifics to support@ableton.com

Cheers
D

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:22 pm

pairajacks wrote:Has anyone gotten Clyphx (or other workaround) to work for this?
Yes, and it handles it quite nicely. Use the ClyphX track M4L insert. Trigger with a note in a MIDI clip the length that you want.
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

hellier309

Post by hellier309 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 pm

EnjoyRC wrote:
pairajacks wrote:Has anyone gotten Clyphx (or other workaround) to work for this?
Yes, and it handles it quite nicely. Use the ClyphX track M4L insert. Trigger with a note in a MIDI clip the length that you want.
I've just got Clyphx Pro, could you point me in the direction of the M4L insert? I'd appreciate the help.

Cheers

s

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:38 am

Its in the lessons.... Check the manual at the back if you can't see the lessons....

Cheers
D

hellier309

Post by hellier309 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:37 am

S4racen wrote:Its in the lessons.... Check the manual at the back if you can't see the lessons....

Cheers
D
I can see how this will work and will be ok for changes within a set of scenes all at the same tempo and time sig, what it won't do is allow you to move between sets of clips at different time sigs and tempos unless you pre programme the changes which negates the point of being able to move around freely between scenes. something you could do until the cow come home on an MPC. it would be a simply change that would make such a difference to the use of Ableton for people coming from a hardware sequencer background.

s

Every Day In June

Post by Every Day In June » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi, hope this helps. Live 11 has got some changes like "link" option in the follow action (get rid of the quantisation I think...) but I'm not sure.
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... l-MIDI-bus

Jordan aka Every Day In June
Wall Of Sound (clip): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8pUml3oMNo
Jordan aka Every Day In June
Wall Of Sound (clip) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8pUml3oMNo
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAHEVA ... subscriber