AC/DC Rhythm Guitarist Malcolm Young R.I.P.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
oblique strategies

AC/DC Rhythm Guitarist Malcolm Young R.I.P.

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4942588/m ... -dementia/

Malcolm wrote the band's material which helped them to become one of the biggest rock groups in history.

With his talent, the band produced a string of hits including Highway to Hell, Back in Black, Thunderstruck, and Hells Bells.

Paying tribute to the guitarist on Facebook, his younger brother Angus described him as the "driving force behind the band".

He added: "With enormous dedication and commitment he was the driving force behind the band."

For me the power of AC/DC was in the ringing chords of Malcolm & Angus Young's guitars!

steko

Re: AC/DC Rhythm Guitarist Malcolm Young R.I.P.

Post by steko » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:16 am

R.I.P. Malcolm

AC/DC (Paris 1979) - YouTube

Great player...
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:03 am

There's a lesson to be had that I've tried to listen to in AC/DC, Kraftwerk, Miles, James Brown etc. etc.
I can't say I have achieved it, but AC/DC did, especially their earlier stuff, Malcom always sounded so powerful, mostly due to the amount of room he would give a chord. A big influence when I first started playing guitar.
"Music is the space between the notes. It’s not the notes you play; it’s the notes you don’t play."

Miles Davis

steko

Post by steko » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 am

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:33 am

They had a lot of barn burners!
Sqealer
Touch Too Much
Walk All Over You
Whole Lotta Rosie
TNT

One of those bands that even when I was in my teenage only politically correct music™ phase, I had to admit were solid as hell!
I could keep going, Malcom had such great three chord monster riffs! 8)

steko

Post by steko » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Hey hey, Straight Edger!
ANGUS YOUNG: Malcolm's really underrated. He makes the band sound so full, and I couldn't ask for a better rhythm player. Sometimes I look at Malcolm while he's playing, and I'm completely awestruck by the sheer power of it. He's doing something much more unique than what I do—with that raw, natural sound of his.

People like Malcolm, Steve Cropper, Chuck Berry and Keith Richards—they're all doing something better than the rest of us. I can't deny that Eric Clapton's and Eddie Van Halen's lead stuff has influenced a stack of people, but for me it's the rhythm thing that's way more impressive and important to a band. Malcolm is a big inspiration to me; he keeps me on my feet.

Even when I'm tired from running around the stage for two hours, I'll look back at what he's doing and it gives me that boot up the backside I sometimes need. [laughs] Also, he can always tell me if I'm playing well or if I'm not. Mal's a very tough critic, and I know that if I can please him, I can please the world.

A lot of people say, "AC/DC—that's the band with the little guy who runs around in school shorts!" But I wouldn't be able to do what I do without Malcolm and the other guys pumping out the rhythm. They make me look good. Mal is really a great all-around guitarist. I know it says "rhythm guitar" on the album jacket, but if he sits down to play a solo, he can do it better than me. Not a lot of people have picked up on this, but in the early days he used to play lead. But then he said to me, "No, you take the solos. I'll just bang away back here." And what's more, he actually plays rhythms. He just doesn't make a noise; he works them out, and he knows when not to play.
AC/DC - My Tribute To MALCOLM YOUNG Night Prowler - YouTube

Remembering AC/DC's Malcolm Young, Band's Rock Mastermind - Rolling Stone

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:37 am

RIP
Ableton Forum Moderator

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:49 am

They were a huge part of my life being a kid from the country in Australia. There wasn't a pub within cooee that didn't have half their catalogue on the jukebox.

I actually damaged my hearing in my left ear at their last concert because it was just too loud in the stands where I was. I have a constant ringing now. They were missing Malcolm then because he wasn't well and I knew at that time it could very well be their last tour with all the other stuff that was going on.

Many great memories and many great solid classic hard rock songs.

R.I.P indeed.