How do you rank sounds and projects in Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
THA-REAPER

How do you rank sounds and projects in Live 9?

Post by THA-REAPER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:04 am

I seen a video where someone goes through the sound library and I noticed it said rank in the browser and he had a choice of 1-5 stars...He was using the Mac version, I'm on PC and I see there you can choose to arrange by Rank, Date Modified, Size, Type, Place...but where to click on to actually rate.

I really wish to rate my own projects for my personal opinions so I know what comes first in my catalog. Also I see ranking sounds just as important if I can get it working...bug perhaps I'd imagine you would just rate right under the rank column even tried rightclicking the sound or project.

In this screenshot you can see theres not even any indication that it has zero stars.

Safe to report bug?

Angstrom

Re: How do you rank sounds and projects in Live 9?

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:14 am

A person had a choice of stars? Hmm. That seems unlikely. You can't rate items in the L9 browser the ranking graphic does it automatically, it counts how often you load up a particular device and adds it to a tally. That count is represented graphically as a bar in the browser.
Personally I've not found a use for this at all.

EG: Just because I'm using a particular kick drum 18 times in one month doesn't mean I'll want to use it again for 12 months. The repeated usage is contextual, not absolute!

In the applications that allow it I only ever rank things as 'crap' , 'passable' and 'good'. The crap and passable items are only kept because I'm aiming for something with the sound design that I've not yet hit, so I have to keep the failures as a reminder.
L9 browser doesn't allow any of this.

THA-REAPER

Post by THA-REAPER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 am

Angstrom wrote:A person had a choice of stars? Hmm. That seems unlikely. You can't rate items in the L9 browser the ranking graphic does it automatically, it counts how often you load up a particular device and adds it to a tally. That count is represented graphically as a bar in the browser.
Personally I've not found a use for this at all.

EG: Just because I'm using a particular kick drum 18 times in one month doesn't mean I'll want to use it again for 12 months. The repeated usage is contextual, not absolute!

In the applications that allow it I only ever rank things as 'crap' , 'passable' and 'good'. The crap and passable items are only kept because I'm aiming for something with the sound design that I've not yet hit, so I have to keep the failures as a reminder.
L9 browser doesn't allow any of this.
Oh okay I understand so I just misinterpreted from the video. I thought it behaved more like Alchemy does for example Image Thanks for clearing that up.

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Oh okay I understand so I just misinterpreted from the video. I thought it behaved more like Alchemy does for example Image Thanks for clearing that up.
This would be great!

tone61

Post by tone61 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:15 pm

User definable tagging system would allow the use of stars and many many other useful things that would make searching sounds and other files much easier than now. Alchemy's system is one of the best implementations I've seen in VSTs.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:39 pm

I don't own Alchemy, but by looking at an image of its tagging system via Google I can immediately understand how it works. Which is surely a recommendation.

If you consider that Alchemy is only filtering presets, yet has such a powerful system, meanwhile Ableton Live is a gateway for a much larger database of stuff including songs, Presets, Instruments, VSTs Effects, etc. and has none of this.

I wonder what they were thinking. They even repeatedly argued against tagging when it was brought up in the beta. "everyone we talked to said they don't use tags" was the repeated phrase. I gave up trying to explain that a huge amount of content delivered to a huge disparate array of clients requires a very flexible filtration system. I was amazed they didn't already understand this. They are already using tags, but very very poorly. "Ambient and evolving" is just a hierarchic folder, not metadata.

I could understand them saying something like "We understand the importance of flexible filtration systems but we don't have time to complete it for L9", that would be fine. But they said they didn't understand the importance of it, and the current system was fine, and I ought to stop talking about the same thing over and over! Well, I just backed away. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Angstrom wrote:I don't own Alchemy, but by looking at an image of its tagging system via Google I can immediately understand how it works. Which is surely a recommendation.

If you consider that Alchemy is only filtering presets, yet has such a powerful system, meanwhile Ableton Live is a gateway for a much larger database of stuff including songs, Presets, Instruments, VSTs Effects, etc. and has none of this.

I wonder what they were thinking. They even repeatedly argued against tagging when it was brought up in the beta. "everyone we talked to said they don't use tags" was the repeated phrase. I gave up trying to explain that a huge amount of content delivered to a huge disparate array of clients requires a very flexible filtration system. I was amazed they didn't already understand this. They are already using tags, but very very poorly. "Ambient and evolving" is just a hierarchic folder, not metadata.

I could understand them saying something like "We understand the importance of flexible filtration systems but we don't have time to complete it for L9", that would be fine. But they said they didn't understand the importance of it, and the current system was fine, and I ought to stop talking about the same thing over and over! Well, I just backed away. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Indeed. The bold bit especially grates on me.

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Omnispheres rating is quite nice as well

Karlstens

Post by Karlstens » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:56 am

Any love happening within Live 10 regarding browser tagging, or Info Text searching?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:09 am

burningfeetman wrote:Any love happening within Live 10 regarding browser tagging, or Info Text searching?
Nothing.
Quite amazingly nothing.

Karlstens

Post by Karlstens » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:54 am

Angstrom wrote:
burningfeetman wrote:Any love happening within Live 10 regarding browser tagging, or Info Text searching?
Nothing.
Quite amazingly nothing.
Breaks my heart. Completely breaks my heart. :cry:

I am using XYPlorer to tag my Ableton files as a workaround. So clunky, but what-cha-gonna-do?

SiboVG

Post by SiboVG » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:05 pm

You can enable the rank by right clicking on the top of all your Audio Effects/Plugins/Whatever on the Name Tab and it shows you a dropdown of different options, just select 'Rank'.

Rank shows you your most used items in the list.