Live 10 Standard plus M4L

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Goseba

Live 10 Standard plus M4L

Post by Goseba » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:22 am

Does anyone know (aside from Live and M4L being installed separately) if Live 10 Standard will integrate with M4L just like it does with 10 Suite?
Last edited by Goseba on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrk

Re: Live 10 Standard plus M4L

Post by chrk » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:03 am

Very probably, and I think Tarekith / [erm] posted something along these lines in one of the threads that sprung up when the beta started.

Traditionally Live's basic installation of any edition contains all Ableton instruments and effects, so you can use Ableton or partners' packs that rely on them. You would be able use the macros of such an instrument, but not access the chains.

I guess ultimately you're buying a license to unlock what's already installed.

Goseba

Post by Goseba » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:27 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:10 pm

chrk wrote: Traditionally Live's basic installation of any edition contains all Ableton instruments and effects, so you can use Ableton or partners' packs that rely on them. You would be able use the macros of such an instrument, but not access the chains.
Which doesn't seem to extend to packs like Designer drums. In fact, opening a set with such packs in Standard, won't even open inactivated or missing. Live standard simply refuses to open the set as if it was from a later version.
Make some music!

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Stromkraft wrote:Which doesn't seem to extend to packs like Designer drums. In fact, opening a set with such packs in Standard, won't even open inactivated or missing. Live standard simply refuses to open the set as if it was from a later version.
Thats strange:
Designer Drums | Ableton says "Live 9 Intro (version 9.0.1 or higher)" under Requirements.

edit
I've been using Intro through the whole lifecycle of Live 8, and I've been able to use but not edit these free packs.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:37 pm

chrk wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:Which doesn't seem to extend to packs like Designer drums. In fact, opening a set with such packs in Standard, won't even open inactivated or missing. Live standard simply refuses to open the set as if it was from a later version.
Thats strange:
Designer Drums | Ableton says "Live 9 Intro (version 9.0.1 or higher)" under Requirements.

edit
I've been using Intro through the whole lifecycle of Live 8, and I've been able to use but not edit these free packs.
Designer Drums is Operator-based so I assumed this was the reason. But I see now. I wonder if it was because it was my preset. The Standard version in question is in another city, so hard for me to investigate.

It would be nice if my old tracks made in Suite would at least open in Live Standard and even better if they played. I'd be fine with not being able to make any adjustments.
Make some music!

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:53 am

Stromkraft wrote:Designer Drums is Operator-based so I assumed this was the reason. But I see now.
Yes, it's Operator based, I opened one of the original presets first to see what's in there. Then I started to wonder if Designer Drums waa Suite content or a freeby, the pack's product page finally solved this.
I wonder if it was because it was my preset.
So you edited/reassigned the macros, and or added other Suite effects anywhere?
The Standard version in question is in another city, so hard for me to investigate.
As a simple cross check form right where you are, install Designe Drums if you already haven't, insert one kit into a new set, doodle away, save, close, reopen.
It would be nice if my old tracks made in Suite would at least open in Live Standard and even better if they played. I'd be fine with not being able to make any adjustments.
That's the catch of downgrading, any device not available in Standard will stop you.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:23 am

chrk wrote:That's the catch of downgrading, any device not available in Standard will stop you.
Thanks chrk.
Except for the instruments and Corpus there are hardly any differences.

I will attempt to investigate the instruments in Intro. I'm not sure if that's different to standard on the instrument level (not devices). I'm sorry for taking the discussion on a detour. I'll open a new one.
Make some music!