Usb 2.0 Hub for Push2 and other MIDI devices opinions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
McAnix

Usb 2.0 Hub for Push2 and other MIDI devices opinions?

Post by McAnix » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:05 am

I'm considering getting a USB 2.0 Hub, is this a crazy idea?

Using a mid 2012 MB with SSD and 16 gig RAM. I have a Push2, Akai APC mini, Presonus midi keyboard and a mouse currently running on a power Transcend 4 port USB 3.0 Hub and I am experiencing controller dropouts. I have the Push2 powered and my sound card plugged directly into the MB.

I am considering getting a powered 7 port USB 2.0 hub to run the Push and other controllers. The hub I am looking at has 500ma per port.

It's just the Push2 and a bunch of midi controllers that will be using the 2.0 hub so can't see why it should be a problem? I am thinking of getting more controllers though, Launch control and Nano control.

Would a USB 2.0 hub be fine with the Push2 and another 5 or so controllers?

Thanks for the advice!
Cheers!

Tarekith

Re: Usb 2.0 Hub for Push2 and other MIDI devices opinions?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:46 pm

It should be, but then again so should a USB3 hub. Personally if you're sure it's your specific hub causing the issue I'd just get another USB3 hub to be safe. I've had nothing but great luck with the Pluggable hubs and my MBP.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Gregwaah

Post by Gregwaah » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm

http://www.targus.com/au/7Port-USB-3_0- ... b-ach120au

After many purchases of usb hubs, I found this one hiding in a Curry's and decided to give it a whirl. This one works perfectly, where I plug Push 2, a Launchpad, two Launchcontrols and my external HDD. I can even plug in my System-1 if I ever need to use Rolands Plug-Out system. I'm sure there's many a good usb hub on the market but I can confirm that there are plenty of dud ones out there.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:22 am

I think it's a more power issue, but I guess it would make more sense to get a 3.0 hub.

Yeah the reason I thought of getting the 2.0 hub is because a good quality one is very cheap.

Thanks for the input!

rtroost

Post by rtroost » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:24 am

I use push, and lots of other stuff, through USB hubs extensively, both on the road and in the studio.

The key thing is getting a quality item, more than whether it is 2.0 or 3.0.

There is a lot of poorly made stuff out there.

One brand I have had success with is Plugable...they actually have technical support which I find mind-boggling for a commodity item like a USB hub. Their stuff is on amazon. I use their stuff often.

I have also had success with Anker and EasyAcc but I suspect those guys have less R&D in their products and are just marketing stuff they procure from Alibaba. On the other hand, it works....

The other thing is get a good quality power supply for the hub. The Plugables come with decent ones. You can always pick up a nice overspecced one from the usual supply houses.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks rtroost!

Decided to go with a Plugable Hub. Just waiting for the order.

Cheers!

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 pm

So I've been using the 7port plugable hub for the last few days now and I haven't had any issues, seems quite solid.

If any other South African producers are reading this, ordering the plugable hub off amazon even with shipping and taxes, still cost half of what similar hubs cost here. Just make sure you get the one with the detach able power cord other wise you will have to use an adaptor.

Cheers!