Ableton mixer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eldad41

Ableton mixer

Post by eldad41 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am

Hello
I'm trying to figure out which mixer (prefers analog)
Appropriate for Abelton
I want control from the mixer on the channels back to Abelton
I think from what I understood that only a USB mixer would match to me - am I wrong?
Does anyone recommend a good mixer!
Is there an analog mixer that can also run-play Channels in Abelton?

Thank you Eldad

Stromkraft

Re: Ableton mixer

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:47 pm

eldad41 wrote:Hello
I'm trying to figure out which mixer (prefers analog)
Appropriate for Abelton
I want control from the mixer on the channels back to Abelton
I think from what I understood that only a USB mixer would match to me - am I wrong?
Does anyone recommend a good mixer!
Is there an analog mixer that can also run-play Channels in Abelton?
USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt. There's no specific connection you have to use, if it's supported as an audio interface and Mackie controller. The former allows you to record directly from, and play back directly to, the channels to and from each respective track in Live. The latter would allow you to control the Live mixer, if that's what you want.

I think you could also pair up a multi-input and multi-output audio interface with any analog mixer, but possibly there are few mixers (or none) that are both analog and acts like controllers but not as an audio interface.

We used to have a Mackie Onyx in the studio until it broke down. Also other mixers support Mackie control scripts. My motorized one fader Alphatrack uses that. It's just a controller though.

Side-question: Do you want to use an analog desk because you have lot of outboard gear and/or lots of analog inputs?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stringer1

Post by Stringer1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Mackie Onyx 1640i is a good option if you can find one? It has 16 i/o firewire interface built in meaning you can record in to 16 Ableton channels from external gear and then play them all back to do the mixdown on the desk. You could also look into the Soundcraft MTK range.

eldad41

Post by eldad41 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks guys
This gives a clearer picture about the subject
Regarding your question Stromkraft >Side-question: Do you want to use an analog desk because you have lot of outboard gear and/or lots of analog inputs? >I do not have a lot of outboard gear and no lots of analog inputs
What I want
Make a mix
Not with a mouse
With a real mixer
What I do not know is that the connection of an analog mixer will improve the quality of the recording?
Thanks

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:10 pm

eldad41 wrote:Thanks guys
This gives a clearer picture about the subject
Regarding your question Stromkraft >Side-question: Do you want to use an analog desk because you have lot of outboard gear and/or lots of analog inputs? >I do not have a lot of outboard gear and no lots of analog inputs
What I want
Make a mix
Not with a mouse
With a real mixer
What I do not know is that the connection of an analog mixer will improve the quality of the recording?
Thanks
I'd personally strive for combining a great mixing controller and analogue desk emulating plug-ins — like Waves NLS that I use now together with the V-EQ3 (Neve 1073) or similar — and just focus on the analog type of sound yet retain full recallability. To get recallability on the mixer/controller itself you'd need motorized faders which can be costly.

There are also solutions like Softube Console 1 and similar.

The problem with mixing on a real analog console, which is great for tracking, is that full recallability is almost impossible to achieve. Of course this doesn't have to be a problem, if this fits how you will actually develop your mixes.

If you intend to master in the analog domain, which is tape I guess, and vinyl is the end mixing on an analog desk makes more sense to me.

Personally, I prefer the recallability.
Make some music!

eldad41

Post by eldad41 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks Stromkraft 8)
I'm starting to really understand :D
I have to combine the controls and the plugin together
Do you have a good control mixing faders recommendation for Abelton?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:40 pm

eldad41 wrote: Do you have a good control mixing faders recommendation for Abelton?
No, but I'm sure someone else has.
Make some music!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 pm

This list is a little out of date, but it's a good start.

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/daw-control-surfaces/
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

rtroost

Post by rtroost » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:31 am

I can help here.

The Mackie MCU pro and MCU pro extenders work great with ableton. You can have hardware control of up to 32 tracks.

I wish the Icon Platform M and Platform X worked, but alas the Platform X software is useless and the tech support is non existent. Avoid Icon, even though their hardware design is actually the best.

I have not used, but have friends who swear by, the Behringer X-touch line. I usually avoid MUSIC group, but in this case they seem to have a winner, and one with technical support.

Or you can go first class, as I have, and find yourself a use Allen and Heath GS-R24M. This will allow you to control 24 tracks in ableton, and with some clever configurating will let you use ableton automation to automate volume __in the analogue domain__ which is really cool.

However, judging from your posts, you are brand new at this idea of using faders to mix so my advice to you is get the behringer x-touch ( https://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behr ... CH/p/P0B1X ) either new from somone who will let you return it, or cheap off ebay, and have at it. If yoiu dont like it you can return or sell it on.

Rens

eldad41

Post by eldad41 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks Richie Witch:)
Thanks rtroost :)
All this conversation really helps me!!

As someone's tried Presonus products? --Presonus Faderport 16/8 or Presonus StudioLive AR12 USB/Presonus StudioLive AR16 USB

eldad41

Post by eldad41 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:00 am

Hi rtroost
I'm checking on Icon Platform M Controller
And you're really right they're Feel great exactly what I was looking for!
I find there are also Icon Platform M+ Controller Which should be improved!?
Do all the controllers of ?con Do not match / make problems for Abelton?
You may know something similar to that is fits Ableton ?
The closest I've seen is Akai APC40 MKII >>>
that someone can say something about it ,The faders look cheap Too bad :cry:

Thank you Eldad

eldad41

Post by eldad41 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:05 am

a question !
Is it possible to Midi map Icon Platform M inside Ableton
So everything will work even differently ?

Thanks