New Live Export - Export to Ableton Live from iOS apps

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[jur]
Site Admin

New Live Export - Export to Ableton Live from iOS apps

Post by [jur] » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:26 am

After Link, Export
Ableton Forum Moderator

braduro

Re: New Live Export - Export to Ableton Live from iOS apps

Post by braduro » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:23 am

yeah, it really opens my imagination to the sorts of tasks/activities I want to do on a mobile/touchscreen device. I think we'll all want to answer that question personally.

When traktor came out with a tablet version I sort of told myself that I'd only relegate my time on it to prepping tracks and cue points. When this Export to Ableton news broke, I asked myself whether I'd just use downtime to prep clips in some other software. Of course we'll just need to see who ultimately supports this. So far we have a couple sample based sequencers and a sample looper. So the 1st question for me is whether this is the approach I want to take for my music? Will I be satisfied to build sessions based other's optimized sound libraries or things I've slapped together from the built-in mic on my tablet? How then am I managing these files when I get back to Ableton? Do they get some special status as "lite" ideas that go into my sample library? Do I make a separate drive for them? Or do I just let them sprawl?

Again, I think we'll need to answer this for ourselves: what are these portable devices doing for us? Are we making more music with them? Collaborating with them? Getting more studio housekeeping done with them? Already using them as x/y controllers and not interested in export? Field recorders? Remix or processing hubs? And then in my case, I'd stand by some personal policy just to not make myself crazy. Unless I was willing to spend a few bucks here and there every week just to try new apps.

su

Post by su » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:47 am

This is a positive development IMO.

The ios platform has all sorts of crazy, wonderful sound creation and manipulation tools that capitalize on touch interfaces. The tools that now have Ableton Live export and Link-Korg Gadget, Triqtraq, Patterning, and Blocs Wave are among the most beloved ios music making tools. Ableton chose well IMO

ios in many ways has developed in parallel to the computer music making world. There are synths, effects, and DAWs. In my experience, ipad DAWs fall far short of Ableton Live on a computer. With my own workflow, basic things like editing audio, and manipulating a DAW's interface are *much* more efficiently done with a computer and a mouse.

Producing in a DAW on the ipad like you would on a computer is one path. But the tools that now have Ableton Live export can also be used as stand-alone clip generators. They all (with the exception of Blocs Wave) have tons of modulation options, so you can generate some very cool clips that can be further manipulated in Live.

Very positive direction for Ableton IMHO

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:44 am

One year on: how's this working out for people?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:10 am

It's freaking amazing.

I love taking my sketches from Auxy, Gadget, or Groovebox and being able to just open them on the laptop later on. My last 5 released tracks all started that way, really happy with this.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:21 am

Great news! Thank you