My Best/Worst Purchases

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: My Best/Worst Purchases

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:43 pm

I wanted a Venom so bad when they came out :)

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:41 am

This topic has been done before. How about best/worst for 2017?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:39 am

My Best Purchase is not purchasing Live Suite.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:42 am

pencilrocket wrote:My Best Purchase is not purchasing Live Suite.
That's technically a decision and not a purchase. You didn't buy any goodies for the money you saved?
Make some music!

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:25 am

Best:

Echo Gina 24 sound card. PCI and still rocking! The only thing I would trade this for is an RME...maybe, haha!
Clavia Nord Modular. At the time it cost me an arm and a leg, but I have no regrets. It sounds and plays awesome.
d16 Nepheton (TR-808) plugin. I love the 808 sound. I use it in most of my productions and the Nepheton really sounds great!
Fender Stratocaster. This and a Gibson Les Paul are my favourite electric guitars. The tone and action on this Strat is just incredible, I love it!
Gibson Les Paul. Unfortunately, my Les Paul got stolen years ago, but I loved every minute that I had it!

Worst:

M-Audio Audiophile. Years after only 64 bit laptops were being made, they still didn't have 64 bit drivers for this card. I was forced to buy a different card.
M-Audio Soundtrack Pro. Anything but "pro". The specs say one thing, but the actual outputs were sooo low that I always had trouble with my live gig levels in clubs.

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:44 pm

kitekrazy wrote:This topic has been done before. How about best/worst for 2017?
Good idea
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm trying to decide where to draw the line between "worst purchase" and "objectively a waste of money"... :lol: I've bought so many Kontakt libraries that I'll probably never get to use. Stuff that I could potentially use if I really got into scoring. I'm such a sucker for cinematically oriented libraries.

That being said, it's hard for me to deem either of those "worst purchases", so here goes:

Best:
  • Komplete Synths (an ancient, discontinued bundle of Massive, Absynth and FM8 that I got at 50% off in a local store many years ago. Yes - a DVD.) I use Massive all the time, and Absynth occasionally. Even though I have now got all these synths in Komplete Ultimate, Massive must be the one plugin I've used more than anything.
  • Keith McMillen K-Board. Perfect because I love having easy access to both mouse, computer keyboard and keys.
  • NativeKontrol's Arsenal scripts for Live. Absolute game changer for me.
  • Ableton Live itself, of course.
Worst:
  • All the dust collecting MIDI controllers I've bought in my search for the perfect setup. To name a few:
  • Korg PadKontrol
  • Line 6 Pod Studio Keyboard
  • Some NI Traktor controller I don't even remember the name of.
  • M-Audio Oxygen 8v2
  • And, arguably ... Push. I would really love to love it, but the fact is that I've never invested the time it takes to learn to use it efficiently. I'm so much faster without it.

killingtime

Post by killingtime » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Worst

NI Komplete, its a time wasting black hole I wish I had never gone down, much better to stick with Live suite if Live is what you use IMHO

Best

My MEK, so deep and flexible and has all those lovely knobs to turn!

Melodyne, just so awesome for audio manipulation

M4L Dub machines, gives all sorts of analogue loveliness to digital audio

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:45 am

killingtime wrote:Worst

NI Komplete, its a time wasting black hole I wish I had never gone down, much better to stick with Live suite if Live is what you use IMHO
Interesting take. I think the key to Komplete and Live, or any bundle really, is to choose a few instruments and stick to those and get deep with them.
killingtime wrote: M4L Dub machines, gives all sorts of analogue loveliness to digital audio
Oh, yeah!
Make some music!

Sional

Post by Sional » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

killingtime wrote: M4L Dub machines, gives all sorts of analogue loveliness to digital audio
Surely digital software must be adding all sorts of digital loveliness to digital audio. :)
As for my purchases

Best:
Yamaha CVP 305
Yamaha EX5R
Virus Snow
Maschine
Live

Worst:
Elektron Monomachine
APC 20 and Push (as per a previous poster, I am much more efficient using Live with mouse and keyboard).

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Sional wrote:Push (as per a previous poster, I am much more efficient using Live with mouse and keyboard).
I can see that. Two of my friends have gone that way for different reasons. However, Push is not about being efficient, I think. It's more about that, what actually comes out when playing and twiddling is very different from what you get with only keyboard and mouse. With the latter you think more and with the Push you don't. Which is very positive for music creations. To get there can be a struggle though.
Make some music!

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:40 pm

best:
Event Opal
Focal SM9
silver bullet tone amp
ubk fatso
api 5500
burl B2 ADC
dramastic obsidian compressor
Reloop 8000S
NI Z2
innofader faders
PUSH 2
dangerous d-box
Sonarworks

Worst:
m-audio interfaces of the past (FW1814).. drivers are crap
m-audio trigger finger.. pads sucked
m-audio keystation 88.. keys sucked
sonivox vocalizer

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:23 am

Worst: Noavation Automap

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:46 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Sional wrote:Push (as per a previous poster, I am much more efficient using Live with mouse and keyboard).
I can see that. Two of my friends have gone that way for different reasons. However, Push is not about being efficient, I think. It's more about that, what actually comes out when playing and twiddling is very different from what you get with only keyboard and mouse. With the latter you think more and with the Push you don't. Which is very positive for music creations. To get there can be a struggle though.
I know, and I love putting my feet up and just play around with Push on my lap. Which I have time for exactly never. This is the reason why I don't use Push, because if I actually want to make coherent music, I have to "sit up straight" (metaphorically speaking), and get some stuff laid out in Arrangement.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:06 pm

My best purchases:
- Ableton Live Suite 9 ( I came from Cubase last year!)
- Ableton Push 2
- NI Massive
- Presonus Eris E8 studio monitors

Bought nothing bad in 2017/18 yet..... LOL
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: