Is there a quick way to make sequencer show playing clip?

Discuss Push with other users.
TequilaKez

Is there a quick way to make sequencer show playing clip?

Post by TequilaKez » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:30 am

I often find myself confused in the sequencer as the sequence that is currently showing is not necessarily the clip that is playing.
I can obviously go to the session page and check which clip is playing and even select it to make sure its showing in the sequencer, but that is tedious and I can accidentally trigger a clip instead of selecting it.

Surely there is a way to make the sequencer show the clip that is playing???
MacBook Pro Retina. Ableton 10/11.

Stromkraft

Re: Is there a quick way to make sequencer show playing clip?

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:55 am

TequilaKez wrote: Surely there is a way to make the sequencer show the clip that is playing???
"the sequencer"? I assume you mean the multiple MIDI clips, which is the lingo in Live.

How do you suggest this would work logically? Because at one given moment there can be a large number of clips playing. In session view that may be any one of the clips in e given track — the one with a "green" (in many themes) play button — but it could also be a clip in Arrangement in a given track. In Arrangement you activate "Follow" in the transport bar (left of play button) and compact the arrangement and zoom out so you can see the playhead.
Make some music!

TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 am

Stromkraft wrote:
TequilaKez wrote: Surely there is a way to make the Push 2 sequencer show the clip that is playing???
"the sequencer"? I assume you mean the multiple MIDI clips, which is the lingo in Live.

How do you suggest this would work logically? Because at one given moment there can be a large number of clips playing. In session view that may be any one of the clips in e given track — the one with a "green" (in many themes) play button — but it could also be a clip in Arrangement in a given track. In Arrangement you activate "Follow" in the transport bar (left of play button) and compact the arrangement and zoom out so you can see the playhead.
Ok its probably a little unclear as I removed the word Push from the title as it wouldn't fit, and I though being in the Push forum it would be a given.

But I mean if say I've sequenced some drums with a Drum Rack on the push, I can see the beats I've put in on the Push.
Now If i do some other things and come back to that channel in note mode, it's not clear if I'm looking at the clip thats playing or some other clip.
Usually I will start adding/deleting beats/notes but nothing is happening because I'm on a different clip or an empty one in session page.

Is there a way I can make Push display the clip I'm hearing in Note mode when I reselect thet track?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 pm

TequilaKez wrote: Ok its probably a little unclear as I removed the word Push from the title as it wouldn't fit, and I though being in the Push forum it would be a given.

But I mean if say I've sequenced some drums with a Drum Rack on the push, I can see the beats I've put in on the Push.
Now If i do some other things and come back to that channel in note mode, it's not clear if I'm looking at the clip thats playing or some other clip.
Usually I will start adding/deleting beats/notes but nothing is happening because I'm on a different clip or an empty one in session page.

Is there a way I can make Push display the clip I'm hearing in Note mode when I reselect thet track?

No, my bad. While it's still clips "sequencer" edit mode makes more sense in connection with the Push. Or "Step Sequencer" mode. I read "new posts" only, so the actual group is secondary to me. I'm sorry about that. Two and two together. :oops:

Are you on a original Push or the Push 2? I think there is no "show me the playing clip" in Live itself, but unless you actively have locked the upper display to a device in another track, then it's always the selected track in Live. If you move, also temporarily by holding down the button, to Clip mode, the playing clip is pulsing. I think there some other indicators on the Push 2 as well, but I don't have that.
Make some music!

TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:28 am

Stromkraft wrote:
TequilaKez wrote: Ok its probably a little unclear as I removed the word Push from the title as it wouldn't fit, and I though being in the Push forum it would be a given.

No, my bad. While it's still clips "sequencer" edit mode makes more sense in connection with the Push. Or "Step Sequencer" mode. I read "new posts" only, so the actual group is secondary to me. I'm sorry about that. Two and two together. :oops:

Are you on a original Push or the Push 2? I think there is no "show me the playing clip" in Live itself, but unless you actively have locked the upper display to a device in another track, then it's always the selected track in Live. If you move, also temporarily by holding down the button, to Clip mode, the playing clip is pulsing. I think there some other indicators on the Push 2 as well, but I don't have that.
Yes the step sequencer always shows the selected TRACK, but not necessarily the CLIP that is currently playing on that track.
It's troublesome because if you have 2 midi clips on the same track that are similar, it can seem as though you are looking at whats playing. Then the brain pain comes when changes you make aren't changing what is playing and you realise you are editing some other clip that is selected, but not playing. Also happens when the pale grey bar that indicates a scene is selected (but not necessarily triggered) is pointing now to an empty clip slot on the selected track. Now the sequencer shows no notes but I can still hear it and see the pads light up as the samples are triggered from the rack.

This is when I want to press the 'go to playing clip' button, which I hope exists in some form or workaround or there will b much grief:)

I was on Push 1, upgraded to Push 2 today.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:00 am

TequilaKez wrote:
Yes the step sequencer always shows the selected TRACK, but not necessarily the CLIP that is currently playing on that track.
Yes, that's why I suggested identifying the track and the pulsing clip. See? Also there's a vertical play head sweeping left to right that should indicate for you whether you're in the playing clip or not already before this.
TequilaKez wrote: It's troublesome because if you have 2 midi clips on the same track that are similar, it can seem as though you are looking at whats playing.

As only one clip in a track can be playing in Session or in Arrangement at any one time, then the play head mentioned above is a strong indicator you are indeed in the playing clip. This is somewhat more obscure if it's an arrangement clip because the playhead behaves differently (for no good reason at that), but if none of the session clips are pulsing it must be an arrangement clip.
TequilaKez wrote: Also happens when the pale grey bar that indicates a scene is selected (but not necessarily triggered) is pointing now to an empty clip slot on the selected track. Now the sequencer shows no notes but I can still hear it and see the pads light up as the samples are triggered from the rack.
The step sequencer doesn't have a moving playhead in a non-playing clip (in an Arrangement clip it might not show even if it is playing) and the pads (of the step sequencer) don't light up if that clip is not playing. If you're in another track and it's armed they might light up. See identifying the track above.

I don't have a Push 2 so I have no idea if this different. I'd assume there is more Clip info in the display.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Skullrattler

Post by Skullrattler » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:54 pm

I have a similar problem. If, while I'm editing a clip on Push, I activate or deactivate another track, Push switches focus to that other track. Annoying!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:58 am

Skullrattler wrote:I have a similar problem. If, while I'm editing a clip on Push, I activate or deactivate another track, Push switches focus to that other track. Annoying!
This is how Push works. It's a reflection over what's going on what is selected in Live. Your problem is also not similar at all. I'm not even sure it can be considered related. If you search you'll find some previous discussions on this.

Basically, you need to check out third party scripts that can lock the clip. I use PXT Live.
Make some music!

Skullrattler

Post by Skullrattler » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:27 am

I often find myself confused in the sequencer as the sequence that is currently showing is not necessarily the clip that is playing.