Behringer X-Touch with Ableton Live 9.7.x

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EnjoyRC

Behringer X-Touch with Ableton Live 9.7.x

Post by EnjoyRC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:23 am

Ableton Live & Behringer X-Touch using Mackie Control Protocol notes:
For my second X-Touch device, the X-Touch Extender, I use MackieControlXT protocol. Works great. Makes the X-Touch Extender tracks 9-16.

CHANNELS
MAIN is linked to MASTER
FLIP works on PAN, SEND
Scribble Pads look great
REC, SOLO, MUTE and SELECT work as anticipated
Faders work nicely, but do not "SELECT" the track when touched. But, when touched, they do temporarily show the current level in the scribble pad.

ENCODER ASSIGN
TRACK switches between selecting Input, In channel, Output
Panning works nicely, tap rotary centers pan
EQ not selectable and does nothing
SEND shows sends for selected track (12 returns displayed nicely over all scribble pads)
PLUG-IN selectable, but doesn't serve a purpose
INST not selectable and does nothing

DISPLAY Transport time/beats displays as anticipated
Display Name/Value not selectable and does nothing
SMPTE/BEATS toggle works as anticipated

VIEWS
GLOBAL VIEW toggles between channels and returns
Remaining VIEW buttons are not selectable and do nothing

FUNCTION
F1 - F8 do not function out of the box
(1) The F Keys send Note F#2, G2, G#2, A2, A#2, B2, C3, C#3 and can be mapped to control things.

MODIFY

AUTOMATION
READ/OFF toggles Session [Light ON] and Arrangement [Light OFF] Views
TOUCH Shows left browser panel
WRITE Shows and toggles Clip & Device bottom panel. Enables next LATCH button.
LATCH Toggles [Light ON] Shows or [Light OFF] Hides bottom panel
TRIM When I modify a song, the TRIM button lights up instead of UTILTY/UNDO
GROUP behaves like a REDO function

UTILTY
SAVE not selectable and does nothing
CANCEL Places a MARKER in Arrangement View
UNDO Toggles Draw Mode [Light ON/OFF]
ENTER Toggles the Follow clip feature, No light indicator

TRANSPORT
MARKER jumps to the previous Marker
NUDGE jumps to the next Marker
CYCLE works as anticipated, toggles LOOP mode
DROP toggles the Punch-In Switch
REPLACE toggles the Punch-Out Switch
CLICK does not toggle Metronome
(1) CLICK Key sends Note F5 and can be mapped to toggle click. Light on X-Touch not toggled.
SOLO not selectable and does nothing
RW Moves 1 measure back
FF Moves 1 measure forward
STOP works as anticipated
PLAY works as anticipated
REC works as anticipated

JOG WHEEL cycles forward and back through the scenes
SCRUB launches the current Scene

FADER BANK Left and Right work as anticipated
CHANNEL Left and Right move the X-Touch view but not the selected channel

Navigation Up, Down, Left and Right work perfectly in the Session View. Center Zoom button launches the selected clip.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 - If you enable "MIDI Remote" for the X-Touch MC Devices, most buttons on the X-Touch send Key Notes and can be mapped to toggle click.

I will update this post as I determine more functionality between the Behringer X-Touch and Ableton Live 9.7.x.
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

ricksteruk

Re: Behringer X-Touch with Ableton Live 9.7.x

Post by ricksteruk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:22 am

Thanks for posting this information :)

I've been considering getting an X-Touch for a more hands on experience. I have an XR-18 and know it works great with that, and also with Logic really well - but I've looked for info about using X-Touch with Live a few months ago and came up short. Much appreciated.

ricksteruk

Post by ricksteruk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 am

EnjoyRC wrote:Ableton Live & Behringer X-Touch using Mackie Control Protocol notes:
For my second X-Touch device, the X-Touch Extender, I use MackieControlXT protocol. Works great. Makes the X-Touch Extender tracks 9-16.

CHANNELS
MAIN is linked to MASTER
FLIP works on PAN, SEND
Scribble Pads look great
Faders work nicely, but do not "SELECT" the track when touched. But, when touched, they do temporarily show the current level in the scribble pad.

ENCODER ASSIGN
SEND shows sends for selected track (12 returns displayed nicely over all scribble pads)
When you say the ENCODER ASSIGN, for the "Plug In" option is selectable but serves no purpose - does than mean that it is not possible to assign the controls in Ableton in the usual way?

Do they not transmit standard MIDI? Maybe they use NRPN or something more fancy.

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 pm

I'll be updating this integration documentation with Ableton Live 10. Right away, I saw improvements.

vksf01

Post by vksf01 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 pm

EnjoyRC wrote:I'll be updating this integration documentation with Ableton Live 10. Right away, I saw improvements.
That's great! I've been using my XTouch with ableton but as you described in your document, the mapping is a bit weird. I'm also using Studio One where the button mappings are much better

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:08 pm

vksf01 wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:I'll be updating this integration documentation with Ableton Live 10. Right away, I saw improvements.
That's great! I've been using my XTouch with ableton but as you described in your document, the mapping is a bit weird. I'm also using Studio One where the button mappings are much better
Turns out that Logic Pro X seems to have the best mapping with the Behringer X-Touch hardware. .. sigh ..

But I'm determined to push for better integration with Ableton Live. :o)

rhysclarke

Post by rhysclarke » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Did anyone see find any new button mapping with Ableton 10?

Also, I found a template for an overlay someone made for x touch with Reason and edited it for Ableton, will post here if people are interested

kites

Post by kites » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:00 am

Thanks very much for posting the controls! I've been using X-Touch in tandem with Push 2 for over a year now and they pair fairly nicely. Bome MIDI Translator makes it even more customizable.

So the X-Touch is workings even better with Live 10 now? How has it improved? Currently, my X-Touch freezes and have to reboot the thing all the time. :x
MacBookPro11,2 15” mid 2014
Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
4 Core, 16 GB

kites

Post by kites » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:01 am

rhysclarke wrote:Did anyone see find any new button mapping with Ableton 10?

Also, I found a template for an overlay someone made for x touch with Reason and edited it for Ableton, will post here if people are interested
I'd like to see if you don't mind posting. thanks!
4 Core, 16 GB

kites

Post by kites » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:27 am

ricksteruk wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:Ableton Live & Behringer X-Touch using Mackie Control Protocol notes:

CHANNELS
MAIN is linked to MASTER
FLIP works on PAN, SEND
Scribble Pads look great

ENCODER ASSIGN
When you say the ENCODER ASSIGN, for the "Plug In" option is selectable but serves no purpose - does than mean that it is not possible to assign the controls in Ableton in the usual way?

Do they not transmit standard MIDI? Maybe they use NRPN or something more fancy.
Actually, the Plug In button works for me. I don’t use it since I’m paired with a Push 2, but once you press Plug In button the scribbles will show your selected track’s devices if any. The INST and EQ buttons become active and allow to select through the devices controls. Seems like a bit of blind menu diving though.

The Solo and Click button function for me as well. In arrangement view, Solo sends the playhead back to your first marker (if made) and Click send it to the last marker on the timeline. This is without using Bome.

Anyways, check out Bome to assign any button to anything. Very useful for Arrangement and editing clips.
4 Core, 16 GB

rhysclarke

Post by rhysclarke » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Here's an ableton overlay for x-touch. You'll need indesign to open and print. The free trial version works for editing and printing

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/2e427f ... 637/18ae87

Delongpredannon

Post by Delongpredannon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:36 am

Hey everyone. I just got an xtouch and am kindof disappointed in it. I was hoping there would be a little more out of the box functionality with it. I have used a mackie control back in the days of using logic pro 7 on up. Is there any way to map keys to do what I want? I really would like to use the scrub knob to move through the actual recorded material. I never really use anything more than that.. I hope i'm wording it right.

Thanks

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:45 am

Delongpredannon wrote:Hey everyone. I just got an xtouch and am kindof disappointed in it. I was hoping there would be a little more out of the box functionality with it. I have used a mackie control back in the days of using logic pro 7 on up. Is there any way to map keys to do what I want? I really would like to use the scrub knob to move through the actual recorded material. I never really use anything more than that.. I hope i'm wording it right.

Thanks
With something like Bome MIDI Translator you can. I have changed a few functions on my MCU and created a heap of macros such as "Save As" and open 2nd window etc.

Delongpredannon

Post by Delongpredannon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:30 am

jestermgee wrote:
With something like Bome MIDI Translator you can. I have changed a few functions on my MCU and created a heap of macros such as "Save As" and open 2nd window etc.
thanks for that info! I tried out the free version but I am not sure I want to drop 70 dollars yet.

I noticed on your website that you had a Mackie Control. How was it vs this? I love the lower price, but I can find a used Mackie for the same price as this thing, and I can return it. I feel like I am too disappointed with it to do much work with it... At least thats the excuse I am telling myself for not wanting to figure out how to map the control for the scrub knob... Not to mention the automatic selecting of the track when I touch the fader..

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:00 am

There are reasons you wont find an MCU cheap, because they are not built cheap. They are solid and reliable and mine is 10 years old and still in perfect/new condition. Personally I love it and have no idea how it would compare to the Xtouch only to say I did have a Behringer BCF in a past life and though that was nifty, I felt it was fragile but what does one expect for $300. Behringer is like the "home brand" of music gear. Gets the job done but you don't brag about the fact you have it.

I love my MCU especially with the mods I have done with Bome. Depending on your needs and wants, the cost is worth it if you are the kind of person who wants to have the ability to solve their problems. I'm the kind of person tho that finds an issue and will happily spend weeks designing my own work around.

The MCU does not select tracks when you touch a fader, nor would I want that to happen either. There is a track select button on the controller and I personally use the MCU to adjust and automate track volume while I use Push to automate plugins and my KK keyboard to automate instruments. It would be an issue if it was changing tracks as soon as I touch the fader.

Like anything in life (or production) nothing is designed with you personally in mind, you have to spend some time finding the balance and bend things to your own needs.