Ableton 10 is obsolet!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Street Spirit

Re: Ableton 10 is obsolet!

Post by Street Spirit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:39 am

270$ for an upgrade? no not worth it.
It wont sell, and Live might have lost some long time users with that high ass price point.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:42 am

Razz CE wrote:
Emerald1968 wrote:I'm loving the capture feature this has been a godsend to me, I'm still in exploratory mode with 10 but so far I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Roll on release :D
Yeah capture is amazing. Stuff like this is one of the reasons i love Ableton. Companies like to throw around the word innovative but this actually is. And it really coalesces with Ableton's philosophy of facilitating the free flow of creativity.

Idgaf what anyone says. We Live users have it pretty good.

A lot of the nice little quality of life improvements made in Live 10 have barely had any time to sink in too. Once i break my habits of working within the paradigm of L9, itll be even better.
Not not trying to poop on your party, but Logic has had Capture for at least 15 years. It's not anywhere near innovative. I'm really glad Ableton kiped it though! :)

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:07 pm

login wrote:It amazes me that people are so attached to software updates in order to make music: "they don't update so I wam going to jump ship" weren't they making music before with the program? Well maybe Live is missing the features you want, totally comprensible to jump ship, but to jump just because it doesn't get new features seems strange. You are going to find the grass is not always greener in the other side.

Anyway, consider Live gets updates down the road, not just the "new" features announced. BW is charging 160 anually for that down the road development.
To be fair, I know the feeling of your main DAW getting an update and it doesn’t include the feature you have been wanting for several years.

Can’t call v10 a flop though. I think it is a well rounded update. IMO they added some features I wanted and some I will probably not use (about normal for any DAW). The upgrade seems to be well thought out with good intentions.

A total disappointment for an upgrade for me is Reason 10. Reason has had a chance to improve on many things, midi, audio, synths, GUI. Ableton’s v10 seems like a breath of fresh air in that regard (even though it’s not perfect). Reason 10 is the first upgrade I seen that intentionally seems like a rush to make some quick cash. Unlike Ableton, Reason has serious issues (serious CPU Hog with no ability to freeze with VSTS and some Rack Extensions. When I mean CPU Hog I mean it. Ableton isn’t the most CPU efficient but Right now VSTS that might only register 10% in Ableton are barely playable in Reason).

Ableton know they can’t please everybody but they still tried to please most by making a wide spectrum of improvements that they know will please many all the while looking at issues many users have requested.

Reason know they can’t please everybody so didn’t even try and appealed to probably like 10% of users who only wanted synths, ethnic sounds, Piano modeling, envelope/lfo modulated effect, and drum-loops and drum hits.

That said the 2 synths are both amazing, but honestly I would have been happier with them doing one synth and Track Freeze. Or just release synths as a paid add on, stay on 9.5 and wait to make v10 truly revolutionary. But this is an Ableton forum.

I’m just trying to state that compared with Reasons v10, Ableton’s v10 is moving mountains IMO.

the unknown wanderer

Post by the unknown wanderer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:08 am

I wouldnt say its obsolete, however the way that i use live has changed over the years. Its gone from a DAW to more of a HUB for me. something i plug my hardware into and use it to create musical ideas, quickly. So the new features dont really interest me. the way that everyone uses live is different, so each to their own. good luck to them

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Razz CE wrote:Yeah capture is amazing. Stuff like this is one of the reasons i love Ableton. Companies like to throw around the word innovative but this actually is. And it really coalesces with Ableton's philosophy of facilitating the free flow of creativity.

This feature has been in Logic since v5, which is when i used it. Maybe even before then.... Just saying. :D
Last edited by dna598 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Machinesworking wrote:...Logic has had Capture for at least 15 years. It's not anywhere near innovative. I'm really glad Ableton kiped it though! :)
same thing with multi clip MIDI editing. It's been around in other DAWs since the 90s

I will be paying $229 just to have multi clip MIDI editing. it's that important to me

meanwhile, I have no use for another synth, drum processor, delay effect etc... oi!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:22 am

You can upgrade only host application.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:13 am

pencilrocket wrote:You can upgrade only host application.
:lol: incredible post

albeit, i do wish Ableton could sell features piecemeal

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:48 pm

sowhoso wrote: I will be paying $229 just to have multi clip MIDI editing. it's that important to me
it's just 34,83€
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:42 pm

It's a mixed bag for me.

There are some very nice and long awaited changes... but I also have major reservations about the changes tom automation envelope editing. I'm hoping Ableton can accommodate some of the (rather fierce) feedback they are getting.. 8O

D K

Post by D K » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Not obsolete, but for an upgrade path I find it over priced. I'll probably buy it at some point out of necessity.
As a long time user like many, on the current suite version (but not a push user), it seems rather expensive-

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:37 pm

D K wrote:Not obsolete, but for an upgrade path I find it over priced. I'll probably buy it at some point out of necessity.
As a long time user like many, on the current suite version (but not a push user), it seems rather expensive-
I can just respectfully disagree. The upgrade prices are perfect if you factor in years of support and feature upgrades. I do.
I'd rather Ableton have a tad less users and strive for Pro level features and quality than jumping on the race to the bottom initiated by companies with bigger pockets from other activities/products. You now who they are.

This pretend game you can have pro level music production software for nothing has to stop. It can only hurt us in the end.

I'd have bought my 10 upgrade already had I not had to worry about the next rent and machine repairs, so it's not that I'm voicing this opinion by having a lot of cash to spread around. I still think the upgrade prices are within reach. It's a question of priority and making an effort as I see it.
Make some music!

D K

Post by D K » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:36 am

Stromkraft wrote:
I can just respectfully disagree. The upgrade prices are perfect if you factor in years of support and feature upgrades. I do.
I'd rather Ableton have a tad less users and strive for Pro level features and quality than jumping on the race to the bottom initiated by companies with bigger pockets from other activities/products. You now who they are.

This pretend game you can have pro level music production software for nothing has to stop. It can only hurt us in the end.

I'd have bought my 10 upgrade already had I not had to worry about the next rent and machine repairs, so it's not that I'm voicing this opinion by having a lot of cash to spread around. I still think the upgrade prices are within reach. It's a question of priority and making an effort as I see it.
Well, I am factoring in the years i've supported the company (paid for everything since I started using it, version 2 or 3). This is very little for the highest price yet.
If Ableton really wants to be more pro how about catching up on some real video support (OMF) or get to re-writing the engine so we can use touch screens?
This dancing around the issue of what upgrades would really make it pro level has to stop. I'd gladly pay more if these mentioned pro-level needs were addressed. It's only hurting us in the present.
Ableton is still my favorite DAW, was one of the more affordable options, and I don't really care what other folks use or prioritize. Back in the day I lobbied for implemented features by voicing my opinion with others on the forum. I'm a fan-boy, still am. I'm not expecting anything for free, but for the thousands i've invested in the company over the last (holy crap, 16+ years?!) i'd like a more reasonably priced upgrade path for what is not a major update.
And that's about all there is, Ableton, you still listening to the forums?

Aykia

Post by Aykia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:54 am

I know that this is probably a noob question..

Just brought Live 9 Suite today, with the free Upgrade to 10 when It comes out. Just wondering if I should wait for 10 to come out before downloading all the sample content available now from Live 9. Would the Live 10 install re-install previous packs from Live 9? My question is, should I not download anything until 10 is released, or download all the musical content for live 9 now, then merge any new sounds/packs onto 10. Thanks

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:43 am

D K wrote:I'm not expecting anything for free, but for the thousands i've invested in the company over the last (holy crap, 16+ years?!) i'd like a more reasonably priced upgrade path for what is not a major update.
But it's not just about you, just as little it's only about my experience or view. You cannot only look at what only you have paid in the past if you want to understand or evaluate the current pricing. I can only note that indeed Ableton is priced a little higher than some other DAWs and yet they have not succumbed to a subscription model. If the upfront cost is the only interesting thing, that's where we could be heading. It starts with just as an option and later it's the most attractive deal all in all for most people, and then suddenly it's the only way.

I'm not criticising you for voicing your view on this. I reckon it's valuable info for Ableton and it's natural different people would have a different take on price for value.

Some may prefer to see Ableton be bought by someone like Apple, after which they will add a studio musician session feature to LogicXI after silently having terminated Live. Somewhere around there is where low pricing your product "competitively" usually ends up.

So what's the proper price for the update for all users? I don't know. But I can tell you that after having tried Wavetable I can see Suite buyers actually have one more strong point warranting the update price. To me this doesn't not at all seem like something quickly scrambled together to warrant the update price point. It's a well designed instrument that sounds really good. It will not be appreciated by everyone, but I can see many that will use this one.

To me the 10 update concerns are not about price at all. One concern is about listening to tester feedback on major changes and address those concerns. The good thing with the current price is that Ableton need to deliver to warrant that price. Hopefully that is where their focus is.
Make some music!