Recording help please!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
igloodagloo

Recording help please!!!!!

Post by igloodagloo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm trying to record multiple layers of sounds from my Mininova that's connected to a monoprice 8 channel mixer. Recording the first layer goes smoothly, I set the input to Ext In and the channel to 1/2. But when I create a new audio track and arm it and set the input to Ext In and the channel to 1/2, it records the sounds that I have already put down on the first track along with the new layer. I've set the input of the first track to No Input and this still happens. I've also noticed that Abelton is also picking up sounds coming from Chrome.

Bombastic

Re: Recording help please!!!!!

Post by Bombastic » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:15 am

maybe use asio4all driver?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:52 am

Can't answer this without being able to see exactly what your setup is.

If you are having audio coming in from chrome, check your audio input settings. Check while the audio from the first track is playing. Is it coming in from the same channels as your synth?

Have you had this problem before?

Can you mute the sound from the first track?

igloodagloo

Post by igloodagloo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:22 am

re:dream: The mininova is connected to the L and R aux inputs on the mixer, which is connected to my laptop via usb. I can mute the sound from the first track, that's how I've been recording new layers, by getting the midi notes down over the first recording then muting the first track while recording the midi notes into audio. I've fiddled with the audio output settings and fixed the chrome issue, but the original problem still persists. I've only just started using the mininova, or any external instrument, so this is the first time I've had this problem.

Bombastic: What would that do exactly?

chrk

Post by chrk » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:04 am

igloodagloo wrote:connected to a monoprice 8 channel mixer
This one https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=615808?
The description doesn't mention drivers, and it's probably just a stereo I/O (two channels in/two channels out) via USB. So you're basically forced to record everything that goes trough the mixer's mains out.

Pretty useless for multitrack recording.
igloodagloo wrote:The mininova is connected to the L and R aux inputs on the mixer
You're talking about the 2TK inputs? - On a mixer aux something very different from that on your home stereo. It's meant to loop in effects processors - the mixer I've linked has s single mono aux send (1/4" TS) but I wasn't able to find an aux return.