pads are redundant/cannot do what a basic keyboard does

Discuss Push with other users.
dna598

pads are redundant/cannot do what a basic keyboard does

Post by dna598 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:06 pm

i have mentioned it before but i will mention it again.

Having pads that stop functioning because you click on a different type of track (master/aux/audio) is literally retarded.

We have the arm track button to know what channel the pads are sending to.

I have to buy another keyboard to get proper basic midi keyboard funcionality. Losing money and desk space.
Its the reason i left it in the box for 2 years, only to come out for the odd curious session. Only to keep re-discovering this baffling limitation.

Imagine a world where youre sitting in front of an anologue desk, playing piano, adjusting levels in real time while playing. Everytime you adjust the aux or master fader, your piano disappears from reality. This is what Ableton have created in digital form. That and the need for a mouse.

for nigh on 600 quid for the push2 "controller", this is utterly absurd.
Last edited by dna598 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

yur2die4

Re: pads are redundant/cannot do what a basic keyboard does

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:26 pm

I actually agree that forcing us to only work in this single way is pretty terrible.

Plus in a lot of ways, this methodology has somewhat broken Live (though it has also added new features with the whole session record button ordeal). In the long run, there are some things that are not much more of a headache in Live 9 than were in Live 8, especially if you have a Push plugged in. Midi triggering practically anything you decide to highlight with no options to change this behavior.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:08 am

Yeah there simply needs to be some kind of function (that can be done from Push) to lock the pads to a track while allowing navigation through other tracks, having the display and controls all move but the pads remaining locked. It would just need to disable the pseudo track arming as you browse or something.

It's not a huge issue for me personally as I have other controllers for this reason but if I was forced to only work on Push I would have the same issues as you are describing pretty fast.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:07 am

Well another problem is if you try to assign another keyboard to other tracks, if you're not careful about routing the keyboard might also trigger the tracks that Push happens to be playing.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:44 pm

That's still better than the current crippling set up.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

scientist

Post by scientist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:38 pm

+1. pads not locking w/ "lock to control surface' is pretty absurd. for anyone beta testing 10, i've submitted a suggestion that you can voter for. currently only has two votes.

zenke

Post by zenke » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:48 pm

I have been puzzling over this issue also. I have most of my FX on various sends. What I do when playing is have an instrument on one track and whilst playing I would like to be able to use the FX live. However I cant find a way to do this. If I go to the sends then I lose the ability to play the instrument on the pads.
I would really like this changed for Live 10.

Where do I sign !!

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 pm

On centercode, you can vote for it......

https://ableton.centercode.com/welcome/

Here you can sign in if you have an account and find the topic to vote for.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:25 am

I think the reason the pads don't lock is because the push is intended to be more of a looper instrument than a performance instrument. Being jamming with it for the last few months and its great for this.....BUT every now and then I think, why can't I just lock these pads. I'm positive every push owner has atleast wondered about this once. There are a ton of features I don't use on the push but this would definitely one I would use.