iMac Pro

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
c68

Re: iMac Pro

Post by c68 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 am

I just built a similar PC to the iMac Pro and it cost me $1200 less. Apple is overpriced.

danweaver1990

Post by danweaver1990 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:31 am

c68 wrote:I just built a similar PC to the iMac Pro and it cost me $1200 less. Apple is overpriced.
Exactly. Apple is overpriced. Typical Apple fanboys will question your build and ask you to "prove it" "show me receipts" "show me links". They get butt hurt. Ha.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:46 am

danweaver1990 wrote:
c68 wrote:I just built a similar PC to the iMac Pro and it cost me $1200 less. Apple is overpriced.
Exactly. Apple is overpriced. Typical Apple fanboys will question your build and ask you to "prove it" "show me receipts" "show me links". They get butt hurt. Ha.
I agree Apple marks a significant price premium over similar hardware. I used to build my own top of line PCs and Hackintosh for years. For those of us who use the niche applications that the OS offers via 3rd party developers, its worth the piece of mind and productivity. I’m talking about apps like SuperDuper, AbetterFinderRename, AppZapper, Quartz Composer, and several native features like multiple desktops accessible by just swiping between them. The workflow on the system level is much more robust.

The debate over which is better (for the individual) comes down to your utilization the native features and 3rd party apps mostly exclusive to the OS. Debating which is better for mutually supported apps like Ableton, Adobe, etc, is a moot point.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

bartdecrem

Post by bartdecrem » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 pm

hi guys, i'm the crazy guy who actually owns an iMac Pro. I love it in general, though sad to report that Ableton 10 doesn't actually bounce faster with it than my 5 year old MacBook Pro. Flagged it to tech support and got a somewhat snooty "not our fault, you dope" response. :( and :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:02 am

Tech support called you a dope?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:24 am

bartdecrem wrote:hsad to report that Ableton 10 doesn't actually bounce faster with it than my 5 year old MacBook Pro.
If you mean actual Live performance then: Yeah, right. You think we're incapable conducting our own tests with iMac Pros? You think you're the only one with access to this "expensive" technology? Then think differently.

If this was a joke, it surely was lost on me.
Make some music!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:20 am

Probably shouldn't even bother with this, but I can't help it...

iMac Pro isn't a single device with single specs. Everyone saying they can build a similar machine isn't saying anything until they flatly compare to a single iMac Pro release.
None of you on the PC side are even noticing the chips in the iMc Pros, they're not i7's. I doubt any of you are buying Xeon chips to build your PCs. Right there, game, set, not a match at all.
These things are overkill for sure, someone mentioned throttling issues or some other deal about over heating, yeah, on the top of the line units for sure.
IMO the key to stability with any newer build is lower or mid range price wise. For anyone using Live, the 8 core 3.2 is more than enough.

Now in pure track counts, you can clearly see looking at any site like Geekbench that multi core Xeon set ups skunk i7's.
i7's do really well on a single track, since for most DAWs a single track uses more or less a single core in your system. i7's aren't seeing the pure core count that Xeons are seeing.

Basically if you're looking at low track counts and heavy CPUY plug ins, go with i7, if you're looking at dozens of tracks a Xeon will be a better chip.
Xeons are not cheap though, Apple isn't being half as greedy as people think they are with these iMac Pros, the chips are coming in at almost half the cost of the computer..

To cement this, take a look at Geekbench, single and multi core specs.
http://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks/
bartdecrem wrote:hi guys, i'm the crazy guy who actually owns an iMac Pro. I love it in general, though sad to report that Ableton 10 doesn't actually bounce faster with it than my 5 year old MacBook Pro. Flagged it to tech support and got a somewhat snooty "not our fault, you dope" response. :( and :)
See above. You didn't post a single spec, but yes this is possible, the macbook pro i7 does a god job with single core tasks like bouncing, but if you tell me your getting similar track counts out of the macbook pro, I will think you're out of your mind.

In general the iMac Pro is probably better suited to pro recording studios and graphics houses. The regular iMac Pro is solid for 16 track VST plug in work. Or a build your own PC etc.
Personally I always end up finding a way to crush my CPU.