MIDI Remote Script - MPE Util

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Juhot

MIDI Remote Script - MPE Util

Post by Juhot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 pm

I've been developing (and using) a MIDI Remote Script to optimize my workflow when using Seaboard. Now I took the time to put a part of my script to github. If you're using (or would like to use) a MPE MIDI source with Live, this script could save you some time on setting up the tracks. More info in readme. Feel free to try it out!

A short demonstration video to youtube:
https://youtu.be/Hg0kUVCfxo0

You'll find the script, more information and instructions from github:
https://github.com/juhot/MPE_Util - Reading README.md should get you started.

If you try the script: If you find bugs or weird behavior, or would like to suggest alternative or new solutions, please contact me via github or email: juhodev att gmail.com. Also, if you find some behavior being disruptive, I may be able to add toggles to the conf.txt to deactivate that behavior.

I need to mention, that the current Live API doesn't provide (or at least I haven't found out how, please inform me if I've missed something!) access to many useful operations in Live, denying the script a chance to do stuff like:
-group tracks
-access or edit MIDI CC data on MIDI Clips
-access or edit Clips in the Arranger
-to arm tracks or launch clips in perfect sync

If you try the script, and don't find your MPE controller from the Supported controllers list at please reply to this thread or contact me, I'll update the list.

Cheers,
-juho

hardwork

Re: MIDI Remote Script - MPE Util

Post by hardwork » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:27 pm

hey, i don't think its your script... it works fine on my MacBook, but my iMac is the one having the problems, i think my iMac file structure is damaged somehow, because even with the ableton 10 beta somethings aren't working as they should.

Juhot

Post by Juhot » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48 pm

The script hasn't been tested too much yet, so it may well have some bugs somewhere. A problem like some sub tracks arming and others not sounds a bit weird though.. There may be some information in the Live's log file.. You could check it, and/or send it to me (or parts of it). The script has some logging, and exceptions should show up there. The log file is at:
-Windows - \Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences\Log.txt
-Mac - /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/Log.txt

BTW, the script only automates the arming and other properties on sub tracks it has created itself with the "-creatempe" -command. It would be some work to implement a method for adding a manually created midi track as a "sub track" - I'll add it to the TODO-list (maybe not very high).

If weird input is occurring on instruments MIDI channel 1, it could be due to the instrument track having/receiving MIDI input (all MIDI goes to channel 1 if not routed to instrument's specific channel).

Thanks for the feedback!

hardwork

Post by hardwork » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:16 am

Hey, it worked beautifully, I formatted my computer, been up all night installing content, just tested your script... dude you are the man... I know you having finished working on it, and I've read that your trying to get the instruments to group automatically, that would be awesome.. The only problem I have now is that I wished I never purchased Bitwig now I have a DAW that I probably won't ever get into. Thanks again.

Senkel

Post by Senkel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Thank you very much, juho. Works fine here using Ableton 10 (Win 10, Surface pro) and Seaboard Rise 49. 8)

Juhot

Post by Juhot » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Cheers :)

I just updated the script a bit, it now recognizes a number added to the prefix to define the number of MPE-channels to create, e.g. "-creatempe8". https://github.com/juhot/MPE_Util/releases/latest

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Hello Juhot,

I just want to thank you so much for making this script and offering it for free :) It works very well for me (Win10, Live 10, RISE 49 and Yamaha EZ-AG). The ability to arm one track and all the MIDI tracks get armed too is a brilliant time saver. Also changing the MIDI input without having to change the MIDI channel on every track afterwards is so helpful. Sometimes this function is lost when I have closed and opened the project. I just create new MIDI tracks then.

After all MPE Util is very helpful and I'm glad I found it :)

Edit: It might be possible that the function gets lost because I group the Synth and the MIDI tracks in another group. I won't do it and see how it works.

JLMiralles

Post by JLMiralles » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi there!. I was trying to do more complex stuff using MPE_Util with instrument rack. I just made a step-by-step guide on how to configure everything properly for loading multiple instances of Equator and controling presets via instrument rack: https://beyondthepiano.jlmirall.es/2019 ... d-ableton/

abe989

Post by abe989 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:06 am

Using Ableton 9.5 on Mac - is there any way to get this to work?

Download the files and copy to the Midi Remote Scripts folder but does not appear as a control surface in the drop down in ableton