MIDI routing to Audio: notes to different tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Shift Gorden

MIDI routing to Audio: notes to different tracks

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Hey everyone,

I think I know the answer to this (i.e "no"), but i thought I'd double check.

I have a Nord Drum 3p. All hooked up to Ableton and running smoothin via External Instrument. Can record MIDI and audio perfectly.

The Nord has 6 pads, which are simply reflected as 6 different MIDI notes (C2 to B2 or something like that). When I record a drum pattern, I obviously get a combo of those 6 notes, and I can edit and quantize on the piano roll and all that good stuff. But, when I record to audio, it logically records all 6 instruments on one audio track.

Question, through some magical routing or device, can I output each MIDI note to a separate audio track?

Stromkraft

Re: MIDI routing to Audio: notes to different tracks

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:Hey everyone,

I have a Nord Drum 3p. All hooked up to Ableton and running smoothin via External Instrument. Can record MIDI and audio perfectly.

The Nord has 6 pads, which are simply reflected as 6 different MIDI notes (C2 to B2 or something like that). When I record a drum pattern, I obviously get a combo of those 6 notes, and I can edit and quantize on the piano roll and all that good stuff. But, when I record to audio, it logically records all 6 instruments on one audio track.

Question, through some magical routing or device, can I output each MIDI note to a separate audio track?
Well, yes, if you got 6 outputs in the Drum 3p and 6 inputs in your audio interface. I don't see more than 2 pairs of stereo, unless you can use some other port. No USB as fas as I can see.

You could possibly record individual MIDI notes to separate MIDI tracks, with some work, but that's not what you asked.
Make some music!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote:Hey everyone,

Well, yes, if you got 6 outputs in the Drum 3p and 6 inputs in your audio interface. I don't see more than 2 pairs of stereo, unless you can use some other port. No USB as fas as I can see.

You could possibly record individual MIDI notes to separate MIDI tracks, with some work, but that's not what you asked.
Cheers mate . Yeah, bizarrely the Nord only has a pair of stereo outs.

I do have many inputs on my interface though - so we're half way there! I think your solution about recording and then separating out the notes into idividual midi tracks is the only way.

Thanks for replying!

ToBe

Post by ToBe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 pm

This is not directly to your question but I patched a M4L device together which could be interesting for you: An editor which you can use in Ableton Live (M4L) to select sound presets and change parameters for the Nord Drum 3 P - this way you can automate changes with clips and select presets within Ableton Live e.g. in a live set without touching the Nord Drum. You will find a tutorial and links to the free device here: http://blog.abletondrummer.com/nord-dru ... 4l-editor/
(FREE) MAX for LIVE devices
http://blog.abletondrummer.com/free-max ... e-devices/

ABLETON LIVE for (but not only) DRUMMERS
http://www.abletondrummer.com