Ableton Live 10 - whats your favourite new features?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sowhoso

Re: Ableton Live 10 - whats your favourite new features?

Post by sowhoso » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:29 am

Tarekith wrote:Here's the full list, sorry for formatting:
I've been through that long list and so many of the new features are old hat in other DAWs

Being such an innovative DAW with session view (what attracted me to Live) it's frustrating that Ableton has been chasing (prodded by users for many years) features that have been available in other DAWs for a long time (decades even)

just to name a few: "Chase MIDI Notes" and Multi MIDI Clip Editing or zoom to (and back from) time selection in Arrangement. Workflow features we constantly need

If asked, I would have to say Ableton is not really a company that listens to its users.

I can't get excited by any of the improvements, more like "finally"

8E

Post by 8E » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:19 am

Tarekith wrote:Here's the full list, sorry for formatting:
Thanks.
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:10 am

I really like the features that make me go "hey, yeah, I can totally do that now!" - particularly Capture and multiple clips editing.

I also like Wavetable, Pedal and Drum Bus - I really didn't expect much from the new devices, but they are pretty great!

In my experience, Live 10 has been nicer and stable, and I will upgrade.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:43 am

Your question is very relative.

We are using a software and computers that people 15 years ago would dream of.

And some of the coolest music was made with "ancient" (by todays standards ) computers.

So your dilemma is a luxury issue. I have been using 8, then went to 9 and now preordered 10 before i even installed and tested 10 beta.

Simply because i trust the Ableton team. Yes it`s not perfect and i still have wishes,,, but.... Till today i enjoyed the updates so far .

If i am disappointed this time then next time i will be more critical in purchasing or not.

It is really only a money issue. If you can afford another 200 euro or what it costs then just do it. You will sooner or later so it`s only a matter of money.

"Do i NEED it?" absolutely not!. Just look and listen to the music of the last 5-6 years made on Live 9. So is 9 good enough for you? I think the answer is YES.

You can still update later . Say in one year. What you "loose" is 50 euros discount. What you win is 1 year Peaceful state of Mind.

Or you do it now. What you "loose" is 200-250 euros. What you win is the confidence that you possess the last stage of development and a few workflow enhancements .

"Will this make you write better music?" I don`t know if i believe that.

As i say. Luxury problems. I can`t really afford it and borrowed money from a friend in order to preorder. Go figure.

So if you are happy with 9 till now, what reason to rush-change that when you can do it later?

"I try to not forget that "It never stops. You will always have a pending `update` of something or a computer that is getting old....." it`s a vicious circle.
I envy those who still work with an 8 track hardware. I mean that.

Yes it is a bummer that you don`t get a higher discount with what you mention of date of purchase

I wish you the best choice and may inspiration guide you.

Peace

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm definitely feeling quite underwhelmed and even unimpressed with this new release esp after 5 years. I keep having to go to the new feature lists to remind myself why I am upgrading. I did order the upgrade but I'm not feeling excited about it the way I wanted to after waiting all this time. I remember reading the "New Features" list and thinking "is that it?"

As a non Push user, that reduces the appeal even more.

On a day when a rival product has announced a point release with some big new features, I'm definitely trying to convince myself that I need to upgrade, and I'm coming up short.
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:22 pm

craftycurate wrote:I'm definitely feeling quite underwhelmed and even unimpressed with this new release esp after 5 years. I keep having to go to the new feature lists to remind myself why I am upgrading. I did order the upgrade but I'm not feeling excited about it the way I wanted to after waiting all this time. I remember reading the "New Features" list and thinking "is that it?"

As a non Push user, that reduces the appeal even more.

On a day when a rival product has announced a point release with some big new features, I'm definitely trying to convince myself that I need to upgrade, and I'm coming up short.
If I'm honest with myself the reason I got the update was 90% because I can see it on my laptop now. L9 looked as weird as hell on this screen and L10 is normal. It's not the most amazing reason for a costly purchase but "needs must" as the saying goes. And now I have it I'm sure the other stuff like the pack update notifications and the arrow keys on clips, etc I'm sure these little things will all be appreciated over time. Hopefully they fix a few idiosyncrasies in the new features so I can integrate those too.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:12 am

190 GBP is a big ask

I have a few wavetable synths already (with better automation)

What I wanted was

"ghost tracks"

"ability to type automation numbers "in""

"master track automation improvements (selection from parts etc.)"

"vertically expanded drum and instrument rack editing (wtf?)"

sorry but browser is still a joke

It's stable, well done and it makes sense but it's too expensive for what it is.....

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 am

[jur] wrote:... to make it as rock solid as possible...
It´s a sad sign of time that for many users this is considered to be self evident.
I had not a single crash during the whole beta phase.
Today, the risk of a broken string onstage is higher than a crash with Ableton.
Think about it for a while...

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:54 am

Getting the upgrade to 10 will get you future 10.x improvements too.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:14 am

Stefan Jantschek wrote:It´s a sad sign of time that for many users this is considered to be self evident.
As a coder I appreciate the hard work that goes into this, but stability should not be a bullet point for any tool you have to pay for.

Or am I missing your point?

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:37 am

Tuur wrote:Or am I missing your point?
If you are familiar with development, you shure know the risk you take with every decision.
And it maximizes when your Project has the ambition to perform rock solid in Live-Situations
Restarting your Notebook in front of 20.000 People is another story than in your Studio.
And today we are able to use Live X in the same manner like a Fender Strat.
As an (extremly unlimited) Instrument.

So, no bullet point to pay for,
but my deepest respect for the work done.
:D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:52 am

Stefan Jantschek wrote:
It´s a sad sign of time that for many users this is considered to be self evident.
Bear in mind that others have seen crashes and even BSODs so there are still issues to iron out. Only Ableton can collate the crashing/not crashing ratio and get the full picture of the stability expectation.

Personally mine crashes on 3 out of 4 starts (when a Max device is present in the default). And I've had crashes and even BSODs on save or close
That will not be a common experience to all users, I equally can't derive an absolute from that, my experience is just one data point. But I can say it's obviously not 100% flawless and does still crash for some users. It probably is more stable, but I the crashing skews my personal perspective.

Each user should see how it performs for them.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Stefan Jantschek wrote:So, no bullet point to pay for,
but my deepest respect for the work done.
:D
Agreed. If anything, I would be horrified to allow stuff like Max poking around in my engine.

It says a lot about the quality of the product IMHO. :)

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Stefan Jantschek wrote:
yeah true - all I was saying was that a 190 GBP delta is difficult to justify

I already own live 9 and went through live 9 beta program after owning live 8.

Live is very stable software, beautifully designed - but is live 10 that much different from live 9?

Is it 189 GBP different?

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:00 am

spanktron wrote:Your question is very relative.

We are using a software and computers that people 15 years ago would dream of.

And some of the coolest music was made with "ancient" (by todays standards ) computers.

So your dilemma is a luxury issue. I have been using 8, then went to 9 and now preordered 10 before i even installed and tested 10 beta.

Simply because i trust the Ableton team. Yes it`s not perfect and i still have wishes,,, but.... Till today i enjoyed the updates so far .

If i am disappointed this time then next time i will be more critical in purchasing or not.

It is really only a money issue. If you can afford another 200 euro or what it costs then just do it. You will sooner or later so it`s only a matter of money.

i hear you used to be able to get a good out of sound of something like this:-)

"Do i NEED it?" absolutely not!. Just look and listen to the music of the last 5-6 years made on Live 9. So is 9 good enough for you? I think the answer is YES.

You can still update later . Say in one year. What you "loose" is 50 euros discount. What you win is 1 year Peaceful state of Mind.

Or you do it now. What you "loose" is 200-250 euros. What you win is the confidence that you possess the last stage of development and a few workflow enhancements .

"Will this make you write better music?" I don`t know if i believe that.

As i say. Luxury problems. I can`t really afford it and borrowed money from a friend in order to preorder. Go figure.

So if you are happy with 9 till now, what reason to rush-change that when you can do it later?

"I try to not forget that "It never stops. You will always have a pending `update` of something or a computer that is getting old....." it`s a vicious circle.
I envy those who still work with an 8 track hardware. I mean that.

Yes it is a bummer that you don`t get a higher discount with what you mention of date of purchase

I wish you the best choice and may inspiration guide you.

Peace