[Sudden Issue] : "Live has stopped working"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DemolitionColorScheme

[Sudden Issue] : "Live has stopped working"

Post by DemolitionColorScheme » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:20 pm

I've been working on this project for a while now and since this week I'm constantly getting random moments of 'Live has stopped working" and I get this buzzsaw noise and Live shuts down. I'm not doing anything else but hitting playback. Not only does the noise scare the shit out of me, but it also happens so much that I can't work on the project for longer than 5 mins.

I've basically flattened all the tracks and 85% of the project is just raw audio and a few return tracks (which haven't changed at all during the entire project). So, I can't seem to figure out what's causing this. Is my RAM failing? I'm not getting any disk overloads and I've loaded a few longer clips in RAM.

How can I find out what's exactly causing this? Especially seeing as I'm not using a bunch of plugins anymore in this project.

Specs:
Live 8.04
Windows 10
8GB RAM
i5 Intel

DemolitionColorScheme

Re: [Sudden Issue] : "Live has stopped working"

Post by DemolitionColorScheme » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:09 pm

I just went about testing and opened a new template and played around with some random stuff and got the same crash. So, it's not just the one project I was working on.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Why are you using such an old version?

Why not update to at least the latest Live 8?

I would recommend updating to L9 since a lot of bugs and issues were addressed. Not sure many will be able to help with an older version of Live because that's my suggestion.

DemolitionColorScheme

Post by DemolitionColorScheme » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 am

jestermgee wrote:Why are you using such an old version?

Why not update to at least the latest Live 8?

I would recommend updating to L9 since a lot of bugs and issues were addressed. Not sure many will be able to help with an older version of Live because that's my suggestion.
Because I tried different versions of 9 and it gives me an issue that's way worse, so I was kinda forced to stick with what worked. See more about that here:
- Live 9 Issue : Extreme Feedback Loops / Noise Bursts

The weird thing is, I've never had this with 8, since it's the only version I've had to has been stable for years now.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Well there must be something on your system because if you are having issues with Live 8 and Live 9 then the common denominator is not Live.

I note you do not list an audio interface? Are you using the inbuilt sound card with Asio4All? My guess is that is where your issue would be. While you may not have had issues in the past, a windows update or dodgy drivers/hardware could be causing you these issues and could have cropped up at any moment.

DemolitionColorScheme

Post by DemolitionColorScheme » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:03 pm

jestermgee wrote:Well there must be something on your system because if you are having issues with Live 8 and Live 9 then the common denominator is not Live.

I note you do not list an audio interface? Are you using the inbuilt sound card with Asio4All? My guess is that is where your issue would be. While you may not have had issues in the past, a windows update or dodgy drivers/hardware could be causing you these issues and could have cropped up at any moment.
I’m using a PreSonus FirePod (no ASIO4ALL) and don’t update Windows. Both issues with either version of Live was separate and different, so - it’s too soon to rule out Live itself. The issue with Live 9 I had with 2 different systems.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 pm

I still recon it's your audio interface.

The Firepod does not have drivers for Win10.

I use to use a Presonus Firebox and it "worked" when I upgraded to Win10 from Win7 but it had exactly the same issues you describe where I would get sound dropouts and it would often just lock up, never an issue under win7 for almost 10 years. I was forced to upgrade to a new interface even though the Firebox still works perfectly under win 7, they just decided to force people to upgrade which is why I ditched Presonus.

redglass

Post by redglass » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Did you try to use your onboard sound card of your PC‘s motherboard, just in order to check the described behaviour occurs when not using the Firepod?

Good luck!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:50 pm

Another wager that its the audiointerface. In 5 years of doing MI sales, Presonus is the only brand that managed to make a USB powered audio interface that literally melted all the plastic parts. As in the mic inputs.
Also, unless you're using a crack... There isn't a single reason to use a Live version that is ancient by todays standards. It was ancient by 2013's standards I think.

DemolitionColorScheme

Post by DemolitionColorScheme » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:23 pm

It could be the audio interface, but this one has been going strong for a long while and I find it weird that it does perform just fine. It wouldn't make sense for Live to shut itself off if it's the audio interface, right? Normally, it would just drop out. The drivers could be an issue, but that also would be rather weird, since it has worked fine for months now and I haven't updated literally anything.
hoffman2k wrote:Another wager that its the audiointerface. In 5 years of doing MI sales, Presonus is the only brand that managed to make a USB powered audio interface that literally melted all the plastic parts. As in the mic inputs.
Also, unless you're using a crack... There isn't a single reason to use a Live version that is ancient by todays standards. It was ancient by 2013's standards I think.
Well, PreSonus has some shittier units, but the FirePod / FP10 is pretty praised and rather sturdy.
Regarding using Live 8, well, there is a reason: I can't afford to lay down cash for a new version of Live right now, so I'm kinda stuck with 8 for the time being.

Windows 10 could be the reason, but then again; it would still be weird seeing it has worked on W10 for a few months now.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Have you updated win 10?
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

DemolitionColorScheme

Post by DemolitionColorScheme » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Mark Williams wrote:Have you updated win 10?
Not since a while. Might be worth a shot doing so.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:33 pm

DemolitionColorScheme wrote:It could be the audio interface, but this one has been going strong for a long while and I find it weird that it does perform just fine. It wouldn't make sense for Live to shut itself off if it's the audio interface, right? Normally, it would just drop out. The drivers could be an issue, but that also would be rather weird, since it has worked fine for months now and I haven't updated literally anything.
hoffman2k wrote:Another wager that its the audiointerface. In 5 years of doing MI sales, Presonus is the only brand that managed to make a USB powered audio interface that literally melted all the plastic parts. As in the mic inputs.
Well, PreSonus has some shittier units, but the FirePod / FP10 is pretty praised and rather sturdy.
Regarding using Live 8, well, there is a reason: I can't afford to lay down cash for a new version of Live right now, so I'm kinda stuck with 8 for the time being.

Windows 10 could be the reason, but then again; it would still be weird seeing it has worked on W10 for a few months now.
You can still update to 8.4.2, which has a few years of bugfixes beyond 8.0.4. Without running the last supported version, trying to help you debug is pointless. Your issues could have been fixed already.
Windows 10 (and OSX) updates can break drivers from before the Core Compliance era. The FP10 support was discontinued about 2 years ago and I don't think Windows 10 was ever supported.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:44 pm

audio buffer loops and noise bursts could easily be a hardware issue, for example : bad or poorly seated RAM. I have had this issue myself in the distant past.

I'd get a RAM checker program and run that.

ulara

Post by ulara » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:52 am

Hello, I was wondering if you managed to solve this issue..!?
I have exactly the same one... A project that used to work smoothly now whenever I open it, and simply push play, it will crash saying "Live has stopped working". I have back-up files of the project and all of them crash after I push play.
I've done everything possible... Un-installing Live + Max / re-installing.... etc...

I think it might be related to windows, so I was wondering if you had found a solution...

Thanks!!!

I am running Live 9.7.7
Max 7.35
Windows 7
intel Core i7- 5960X
64 Go
Hercules deejay Trim 4&6 ASIO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980