Midi on Ableton does not play notes on my Moog Sub37

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Adrian&Skayem

Midi on Ableton does not play notes on my Moog Sub37

Post by Adrian&Skayem » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Hello,

I have my Moog sub37 hooked up to my computer via a usb port. It is recognized by Ableton and when I play notes, they can be registered via midi mapping on ableton (with the external instrument). However when I click play on the midi clip, it does not play the notes on my sub37. In other words, I can't play my synth from ableton.

The sub37 is connected to my saffire pro 26 (sound card) for the audio input.

I tried all the combinasions of parameters for the external instrument (track, sync and remote). Nothing works! I have other synths that are connected via a usb connection and that I can play via ableton's midi feature (it works)

Help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Skayem

Shift Gorden

Re: Midi on Ableton does not play notes on my Moog Sub37

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Adrian&Skayem wrote:Hello,

I have my Moog sub37 hooked up to my computer via a usb port. It is recognized by Ableton and when I play notes, they can be registered via midi mapping on ableton (with the external instrument). However when I click play on the midi clip, it does not play the notes on my sub37. In other words, I can't play my synth from ableton.

The sub37 is connected to my saffire pro 26 (sound card) for the audio input.

I tried all the combinasions of parameters for the external instrument (track, sync and remote). Nothing works! I have other synths that are connected via a usb connection and that I can play via ableton's midi feature (it works)

Help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Skayem
Hey mate - you got your audio routings right? While the MIDI is playing the notes on the Moog, Ableton needs to receive the audio from the Moog too - what do you have selected in the Audio From section of External Instrument?

Does the Moog transmit audio via USB? My Prophet 6 transmits MIDI only via USB, and audio the old fashioned way through cables.

Screenshots might help, mate!

Adrian&Skayem

Post by Adrian&Skayem » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Hey! My moog is connected to my soundcard and the Audio has been properly selected on the external instrument. I have many hardware and usually it works. But this time I just dont understand why. Yes it should work like your prophet 6

Skayem[/quote]

Hey mate - you got your audio routings right? While the MIDI is playing the notes on the Moog, Ableton needs to receive the audio from the Moog too - what do you have selected in the Audio From section of External Instrument?

Does the Moog transmit audio via USB? My Prophet 6 transmits MIDI only via USB, and audio the old fashioned way through cables.

Screenshots might help, mate![/quote]

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:16 am

That’s really weird. Can you route any of the Moog audio to an audio track at all, mate? You know, create an audio track, select the inputs from your Saphire that your Moog’s plugged into and change the input to “in”. I’m wondering if that would pick up anything?

I wonder if the Moog has a funky setting somewhere?

EDIT - just looked through the sub 37 manual, doesn’t look like it has any hidden stuff. Should work exactly like my Prophet. Wtf.

jreber

Post by jreber » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm able tp trigger my Sub37's patches with MIDI clips in Ableton 10. The way I do it is:

1. On an Audio Track select the proper "Audio From" Input were you Sub37 is connected to. Play some notes on the synth to test the input.

2. On an empty MIDI track select the "MIDI To" to go to the proper MIDI input that you have selected on your Sub37. I selected channel 2 on my Sub37 so on the MIDI track I select "Moog Sub 37" on the first dropdown menu and then "Ch. 2" on the second dropdown menu. Any clip in this MIDI track will trigger sounds from the Sub37 on the Audio Track in Step 1.

By adding the Sub37 Editor plugin on the Audio Track you can automate many Sub37 parameters from within Ableton. I know that you can combine the Audio/MIDI tacks by using an "External Instrument" rack but I always have difficulty setting this up so I avoid it.

If you don't see your Sub37 as an option for "MIDI To" ensure that in "Preference-->Link MIDI" you have "Track, Sync and Remote" turned on for your Moog Sub 37 for "Input and Output." You probably don't need to have all of the above turned on but it works for me so I don't mess with it.

lwpweb

Post by lwpweb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:46 am

i have the same problem with the MODX as external Instrument.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:14 pm

The very first thing you guys should do is plug headphones into the synth and see if there is audio there when you play clips.

-- If so, check the audio routings into Live.

-- If not, check the MIDI routings out of Live.

This is super basic stuff...read the Live manual, it walks you through it all.