OSX Push2DisplayProcess CPU usage

Discuss Push with other users.
jomtones

Re: OSX Push2DisplayProcess CPU usage

Post by jomtones » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:40 am

Hah, OK! But will Push 3 fix it? ... not from what I've seen of the response so far from Ableton. It's like they're just waiting for Moore's law to speed up their crappy code.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:53 am

Don, t need the push screen on live gigs because of a second controller with visual feedback so i use this mfl device....http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/ ... r.amxd.zip
Thanks hoffman2k
Saves my livesets otherwise they would be useless... audiodropouts, glitches and the tempo slowing down.
Mfl device turns off the push 2 screen and the cpu goes from 30+ % to 1.5% ( mbp duocore)

Ableton is still not clear on the website about the high CPU
they should mention this under system requirements that you need at least a recent quadcore to run thiss small push2 screen. Therefore I also feel miss sold

jomtones

Post by jomtones » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:25 am

Amazing that we have to resort to such hacks, running top of the range gear.

1988: In 20 years, we'll be making incredible new music with our minds, with neural links!

2018: Err yeah, so if you add this custom script I made, it'll turn off the 6" screen on your MIDI controller, so your audio will run without glitches.

Imag;ne

Post by Imag;ne » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Really hope this will be solved in Live 10, the Push2DisplayProcess CPU usage is ridiculous in Live 9

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Not fixed in L10.
The screenshot I posted earlier was from the last beta before the official release of L10

Maybe Ableton will address this if everyone takes a screenshot of their system with Push 2.
With empty set, click 'Add Track', scroll to 'Instruments' and scrolling fast up and down in the 'Instruments' category.

Not sure why the display couldn't be rendered with the GPU...

udolinsky

Post by udolinsky » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Just found this in the new features of 10. Didnt have the time to give it a closer look. But hope that fix the noisy fan when i use push 2 on my macbook pro.

Enabled the Push 2 display process to run on the integrated GPU on dual-GPU hardware on macOS.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Push2DisplayProcess is started only with Push 2, so the fix you listed is general for Live 10 and it has been keeping my fan noise down.

FYI - discrete card will kick on if a vst uses the dgpu :(

gfxCardStatus will override this behaviour (for L9 and L10) if it is set to 'Integrated only'

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:19 pm

udolinsky wrote:
Enabled the Push 2 display process to run on the integrated GPU on dual-GPU hardware on macOS.

Here's the source:
Push 1 & 2: New features in Live 10

This is amazing news and mind-boggling too as I suggested using the GPU some years ago. Not for Push2 though, but other things. At that point they said it was not feasible. But in this case they control everything so could obviously exploit what's there.

As I understand it though the display isn't necessarily driven as any other display. Exactly how though I'm hoping Ableton will share.

Now I feel I must look at a Push 2 with new eyes.
Make some music!

udolinsky

Post by udolinsky » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:27 am

A cant see a difference. I played the same Track and Push2 in Mixmode on Live9 and Live10. Push2DisplayProcces CPU is in both cases arround 24% … on MacbookPro Late 2013

tnussb

Post by tnussb » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:52 am

The newly added eye-candy stuff in EQ-8, Wavetable and similiar takes quite a hit on the latency/performance on slower machines. I'm running a Win7 dual-core which shows spikes in latency monitor up to 6 milliseconds in the usb driver (just push2 connected via usb2 port, nothing else, using onboard sound for output with 512 samples buffer).

I wonder why they don't implement an option to turn that kind of heavy animations off. Even for the other animations it would be nice to turn at least the refresh rate turn by my own ...

... example: for level meters it would be enough (for me) to get min/max values with a quite slow refresh rate ...

In the end most of the stuff going on on the display is simply not neccessary and in live performance situations even evil.

jomtones

Post by jomtones » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 pm

FFS Ableton, I wish you'd live up to the name of your product. It's supposed to work LIVE

tnussb

Post by tnussb » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:53 pm

I wonder if the push2 is still connected to live via their customizable controller scripts. This way I could customize its behaviour by myself.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:00 pm

udolinsky wrote:A cant see a difference. I played the same Track and Push2 in Mixmode on Live9 and Live10. Push2DisplayProcces CPU is in both cases arround 24% … on MacbookPro Late 2013
Do you have a second graphics card then? Is this process running on it?
Make some music!

udolinsky

Post by udolinsky » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am

Stromkraft wrote:
udolinsky wrote:A cant see a difference. I played the same Track and Push2 in Mixmode on Live9 and Live10. Push2DisplayProcces CPU is in both cases arround 24% … on MacbookPro Late 2013
Do you have a second graphics card then? Is this process running on it?
yes, i have. according to the osx activity monitor ableton live runs on the nvidia geforce. but there is no (display) process shown for the push2display.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:42 pm

udolinsky wrote:according to the osx activity monitor ableton live runs on the nvidia geforce. but there is no (display) process shown for the push2display.
Could you make a screen dump please? imgur is free for hosting images, though you need to register these days to be able to share, I think.

Specifically I don't understand if you mean you have a live process both on the CPU and on the Geforce. How do one even see the latter? I'm on macOS 10.12.

I was assuming that if there was no Push2DisplayProcess visible and the Push 2 was working then this must be running on the graphics card. It's possible this is abstracted in Live 10 though. Graphics cards are unfortunately not my forte, though I'm very interested in understanding them so I can use them better.
Make some music!