Ableton Live 10 - whats your favourite new features?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Ableton Live 10 - whats your favourite new features?

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:57 am

Angstrom wrote:So I think the Wavetable synth is undersold by the name.
In agreement, but Ableton have a reputation of generic names for their plug ins to keep up, Sampler for their Sampler, Drum Rack for their Drum Rack, Analog for their analog synth, and like my mom with pet names where it gets so cutesy you throw up a little, Simpler for their simpler sampler.

Must have made for long hours in their marketing department.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Angstrom wrote: I agree Push is a good controller, but I have strong doubts it is good for me.
I might be wrong, but I'm not going to pay £600 to find out.
What one can do is to pick up a second hand original Push and play with that for a while until you sell it at a smaller loss to get a Push 2 or give up. Or stay with that like I do.
Angstrom wrote:
Will a hiphop artist make use of a Bassoon? No. The Bassoon does not have utility to that musician, so to that Hiphop artist it would be a bad investment of capital.
I couldn't resist sharing this: The Breaking Winds Bassoon Quartet: Hip Hop Bassoon,
Make some music!

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Angstrom wrote: I agree Push is a good controller, but I have strong doubts it is good for me.
What one can do is to pick up a second hand original Push and play with that for a while until you sell it at a smaller loss to get a Push 2 or give up. Or stay with that like I do.
Angstrom wrote:
Will a hiphop artist make use of a Bassoon? No. The Bassoon does not have utility to that musician, so to that Hiphop artist it would be a bad investment of capital.
I couldn't resist sharing this: The Breaking Winds Bassoon Quartet: Hip Hop Bassoon,

Automator samples the bassoon on the Lovage record. Check out the song "Pit Stop"
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

jaze22

Post by jaze22 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:10 pm

I think Push2 is a great tool. The isomorphic keyboard is a fantastic feature for jamming around, finding nice chord progressions, playing melodies when not so great on the keyboard in that particular key or not. Everything else it does is a bonus. I also have Komplete Kontrol S61, Maschine Studio (purchased before Push always boxed since), Novation SL37 Mk1, CME xKey37 but out of everything most useful tool is Push2.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Angstrom wrote: As for Push. Of course it's a good music device, as is a guitar or a bassoon. The value of every instrument is weighed by its utility to the individual. Will a hiphop artist make use of a Bassoon? No. The Bassoon does not have utility to that musician, so to that Hiphop artist it would be a bad investment of capital.

I don't have much spare cash so speculatively spending £600 on a controller which I may or may not gel with is outside my comfort zone. As a contrast - I bought the upgrade to Live even though it is quite expensive, I did it because I know for sure I will use it every day. The Live upgrade ibecomes a cup of coffee purchase over its 4 year lifespan.

But just like the Bassoon, the Push has the capability to lie untouched by a player who does not gel with it. How does a person find out if they gel with it? They spend a spare £600 and find out!
Many people bought a Push and found it didn't suit their needs, so they either stacked it in a corner or sold it at a loss.
No thanks.

I agree Push is a good controller, but I have strong doubts it is good for me.

As an aside, 25 years ago I bought a bass for £30 despite not playing bass. I found I like playing bass and still play that same bass today. I wonder if a Push controller will have the same lifespan. Or will it be more like the iOmega Zip drive I bought the same year.
My experience was/is that Push 1 sucked, no nice way to put it, the LED brightness was abysmal, the layout wasn't good, so everything was poking around to get somewhere, nothing was near Ableton's favorite buzz word, intuitive. I bought it used and upgraded when they did the traded in sale.

Push 2 is great though. I'm not a super fan of the Note layout, but it's good enough for a guitar player like me in terms of live use. IMO Push 2 improves the experience of Mixing , auditioning sounds, using the Drum Racks, and of course Session View clip and scene firing. At this point there are only a few things you can't do on Push, and an even smaller number of things that are more intuitive using a mouse.

Especially if Live is your only DAW I can't think of a good reason besides money not to get Push 2.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 am

[jur] wrote:L10 can certainly look like a "not so big" update on the surface. But lots of refinements, stabilization and tweaks have been made under the hood in order to make it as rock solid as possible and ready for future serious developments.
We can expect Live to stay awesome for a long time.

I love the new 10 changes (even though i find the update price should be more like 100-150 for existing customers.)

Group in Group, fades on clips in Arrangement is superb, Automation with one button click and more

As for stability even though it is probably not necessarily Live`s fault, i had quite a few crashes in 10 Beta. But to be fair mostly "caused by 3rd party Vst`s"

I had some issues for example while Live was Booting and had Error messages "can`t open Matrix 12 synth (arturia)" etc.
Or when i wanted to save a preset in the Sunrizer synth , Live would crash..

Small issues here and there but nonetheless, didn`t have them in 9.

That being said i am happy with the update and am curious what the future will bring. Like as i said in my post, being able to rearrange Drumpads in a Drumrack after slicing . with the corresponding recorded Midi notes in a clip following the Drumpad position change in the Drumrack. The way it is now i find it very weird and counter workflow-isch

cymatics333

Post by cymatics333 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:58 am

So far I'm pretty happy with the upgrade too, even though realistically it feels like more of a workflow update, along with some great new instruments and packs.

What I like the most is the new "Collections" feature. Some people seem to be pretty "meh" about it, but I think this feature could really set Live ahead of other DAWs, if expanded upon.

Some enhancements to Collections that would be awesome to see:

:arrow: More folders. You're gonna run out of colours pretty quick so why not some small icons as well?

:arrow: The ability to view Ranks/Colours, as well as add/remove them, from items via the Push. For example; holding down Shift and pressing Load while an item is selected in the Push Browser, then choosing a colour from the pads (or an icon from the selector buttons up top?)

:arrow: Actually even sub-folders in Collections would be great.

I could see it becoming a flexible folder system that can be re-arranged and organised without the need to change the actual filepaths of the items/samples/etc - which would be ridiculously time-consuming/impossible for a lot of users.
You could cut out the excess folder-hierarchy in the middle and expedite file navigation in a way that suits you.

At this stage I'm using it for plugin "genres" - Distortion, Reverb, Delay, Synth/Instrument, EQ/Comp, Mod/FX & Utility. Very useful but 7 options is still quite limiting.

granted

Post by granted » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:54 pm

My Favorite new feature is comping. Finally I can have multiple takes for vocal, guitar ... whatever. The new comping feature really makes Live seem like a full featured DAW.
My other new favorite feature is the new font. The new font is like staring into the eyes of angels. It's so relaxing to be able to look at my full featured DAW for hours on end with no eye strain at all. The new font is such a joy to use. I'm glad the new font works great for hidpi and HD users. What a well thought out feature. Thanks Ableton. Thanks. A. Lot.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:46 pm

granted wrote:My Favorite new feature is comping. Finally I can have multiple takes for vocal, guitar ... whatever.
8O Comping ! Er, do you have Live 11 ?

granted

Post by granted » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Angstrom wrote:
granted wrote:My Favorite new feature is comping. Finally I can have multiple takes for vocal, guitar ... whatever.
8O Comping ! Er, do you have Live 11 ?

I'm sorry I was off dreaming again. Please ignore.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:20 am

They did a remix of the intro video, worth watching even if you have already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3UlKCqtZrc

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 pm

^ :lol:

Angstrom wrote:Will a hiphop artist make use of a Bassoon? No. The Bassoon does not have utility to that musician, so to that Hiphop artist it would be a bad investment of capital.
my brain instantly went to this track by Casual of Hieroglyphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLFvWE72YM

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

can Live 10 finally remember the audio interface we last used or is forgetting that still a thing?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:19 pm

H20nly wrote:can Live 10 finally remember the audio interface we last used or is forgetting that still a thing?
Never had that..
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 pm

It does not remember an interface as the default sadly.