How do you do pitch correction?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SvenH

How do you do pitch correction?

Post by SvenH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Being a new Live user, having realized that Live doesn't offer any integrated pitch correction solution, I want to know the best options for pitch correction. (I.e. subtle pitch correction, not the T-pain/Cheer autotune effect.)

Export audio and use a standalone Melodyne?...

Richie Witch

Re: How do you do pitch correction?

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Not sure what you're looking for specifically, but you can transpose entire clips or sections of clips using the transpose features in Live. This can be adjusted in either semitones or cents (as small as 1 cent), and can be adjusted in either direction.

It can sound a little wonky if you're using it on vocals, but on most other sources it works just fine.

I turn to Melodyne if I'm transposing notes in vocals, and it doesn't have to be the stand-alone version. I use it inside of Live as a plugin. No audio export required. Quick and easy.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 pm

SvenH wrote:Being a new Live user, having realized that Live doesn't offer any integrated pitch correction solution, I want to know the best options for pitch correction. (I.e. subtle pitch correction, not the T-pain/Cheer autotune effect.)

Not as a plug-in? If this is for vocals, I suppose it could be a good idea to also try the alternatives like Waves Tune Real-Time ($99 now) or something else that includes pitch correction like VocalSynth ($199). What tool to prefer is probably quite personal so trying them all out is what I'd do.

Manual pitch correction is of course possible in Live with some of the warp modes, but how good it sounds or how easy it is to use is another story.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:59 pm

There is a free max for live pack in the Packs section of the Ableton site. That is if you have Max for Live (Ableton Live 9 Suite).

Otherwise you could take your chances at kvr. I imagine there are 50 plugs that do it these days (quality can vary)

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Richie Witch wrote:I turn to Melodyne if I'm transposing notes in vocals, and it doesn't have to be the stand-alone version. I use it inside of Live as a plugin. No audio export required. Quick and easy.
Thanks a lot for reminding me - I had forgotten that you can use it as a plugin! Coming from Studio One with Melodyne integrated via ARA, I had forgotten "the old plugin way". Moreover, I have only installed the VST3 version, so it is not visible in Live.

I will install the VST2 version tonight, thanks!

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks for all your replies! I will stick with Melodyne for now, since I already got it. I may try the other suggestions in the future though!

Sven

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 pm

SvenH wrote:Thanks for all your replies! I will stick with Melodyne for now, since I already got it. I may try the other suggestions in the future though!
Melodyne seems like a safe bet. I understand there were some issues with it on Windows and Live some time ago (like 6 months). Maybe fixed now?
Make some music!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:50 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
SvenH wrote:Thanks for all your replies! I will stick with Melodyne for now, since I already got it. I may try the other suggestions in the future though!
Melodyne seems like a safe bet. I understand there were some issues with it on Windows and Live some time ago (like 6 months). Maybe fixed now?
I know it was a little wonky on the Mac a year or so ago, but seems to be pretty stable now.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:01 am

There is a free max for live pack in the Packs section of the Ableton site. That is if you have Max for Live (Ableton Live 9 Suite).
which MFL device is that and does it work okay?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:55 pm

complex pro mode + clip enveloppe window>> clip transposition

There you are on the right path :idea:

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:35 pm

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/max-7- ... -machines/

Can be resource heavy.

Probably not nearly as good as melodyne and other vsts dedicated to autotune.

Also, for people suggesting using warp tuning, that's not 'auto', that's just retuning manually..

Macilias

Post by Macilias » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:30 pm

I´m also quite disappointed not having a build in feature in Ableton 10 like the one in Logic X. Now I´ll still have to switch back an forth do edit vocals. :(

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:00 am

Live 10 is a great update! I would say that the only things really missig now (in addition to a few smaller requests) is

- comping and
-integrated pitch correction.

With the current functionality in Live, I would say that Ableton already have the building blocks to make a great pitch correction in Live. It would improve my workflow to have pitch correction with an interface that is consistent with the other editing functions in Live!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 pm

SvenH wrote:Being a new Live user, having realized that Live doesn't offer any integrated pitch correction solution, I want to know the best options for pitch correction. (I.e. subtle pitch correction, not the T-pain/Cheer autotune effect.)

Plenty of options.

Melodyne works but is probably overkill.

The bad news

Autotune is VST3 and AU only so if you have Windows you might be SOL unless you get an older version.

Gsnap is free.
I believe M4l has an Autotune effect.

Other avenues.

NI the Mouth. Does Autotune and other effects
Izotope Vocalsynth a more elegant version of the Mouth.
Izotope Nectar. Also good and with good Vocal mixing effects.

aeriform

Post by aeriform » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Waves Tune (not real time) is cheaper if you want post processing pitch correction with dedicated GUI. https://www.waves.com/plugins/waves-tun ... rted-hosts
Revoice Pro is another more expensive option. https://www.synchroarts.com/compatibili ... oice+Pro+4
SvenH wrote:Live 10 is a great update! I would say that the only things really missig now (in addition to a few smaller requests) is

- comping and
-integrated pitch correction.
Comping is easy with copy, paste into new track, and blend...
Manual and automated pitch correction is already integrated or downloadable. Just not one with a post processing GUI displaying audio changes.