Side Chaining a synth

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
clayton.dickmann

Side Chaining a synth

Post by clayton.dickmann » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Wondering how you can get multiple side chain timing on a single synth. Basically, I'm trying to make the pumping synth sound that louis the child and whethan use frequently. A lot of the time, their synths will have that pumping sound every 8th beat for the first two bars and then it will switch to pumping every 16th beat for the second two bars. Example is Whethans new bootleg of Stains by Brockhampton. In the begging, the synth is pumping every 8th note it seems and then switches to a faster pumping sound, presumably every 16th beat.

Stromkraft

Re: Side Chaining a synth

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:02 pm

clayton.dickmann wrote:Wondering how you can get multiple side chain timing on a single synth. Basically, I'm trying to make the pumping synth sound that louis the child and whethan use frequently. A lot of the time, their synths will have that pumping sound every 8th beat for the first two bars and then it will switch to pumping every 16th beat for the second two bars. Example is Whethans new bootleg of Stains by Brockhampton. In the begging, the synth is pumping every 8th note it seems and then switches to a faster pumping sound, presumably every 16th beat.
What you describe sounds to me more like automation or simply a modulated LFO, native or external. Side-chaining (SC) means sending a signal, MIDI or maybe more commonly audio, to an effect or instrument that reacts to this, but I don't see SC have to be used to get the effect you seem to seek. If you have got a good source signal with the right patterns possibilities you can of course use SC.

You have Max For Live? If so there's the LFO device and many others for complex interaction. If not, there is LFOtool. What synths do you want to use this with?
Make some music!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 pm

Get into the habit of using a Sidechain track in your productions (sometimes referred to as a "ghost kick") instead of driving it directly from an audio track (such as your drums).

You can create this in meer minutes and create a few default patterns for 4/4 sidechain etc then save as a channel strip to be recalled any time.

All you need is a kick sample loaded into something like Impulse (can even just draw it in Raw using simpler but a MIDI pattern is much easier). Create a pattern to trigger your kick when you need the ducking to occur. Make sure the audio of this sidechain track is NOT going to the master. Set your sidechain input to come from this track.

It's explained in this video in 4 minutes (though could have been easily explained in just 1):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTB3QaG4xyE

clayton.dickmann

Post by clayton.dickmann » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:37 am

Stromkraft wrote:
clayton.dickmann wrote:Wondering how you can get multiple side chain timing on a single synth. Basically, I'm trying to make the pumping synth sound that louis the child and whethan use frequently. A lot of the time, their synths will have that pumping sound every 8th beat for the first two bars and then it will switch to pumping every 16th beat for the second two bars. Example is Whethans new bootleg of Stains by Brockhampton. In the begging, the synth is pumping every 8th note it seems and then switches to a faster pumping sound, presumably every 16th beat.
What you describe sounds to me more like automation or simply a modulated LFO, native or external. Side-chaining (SC) means sending a signal, MIDI or maybe more commonly audio, to an effect or instrument that reacts to this, but I don't see SC have to be used to get the effect you seem to seek. If you have got a good source signal with the right patterns possibilities you can of course use SC.

You have Max For Live? If so there's the LFO device and many others for complex interaction. If not, there is LFOtool. What synths do you want to use this with?

Awesome, thanks! So you think its more oscillation/volume automation that makes the sound?

I typically use serum and a bit of massive.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:28 am

Yep usebthe ghost kick method. It doesn’t have to be a kick. It can be anything. Also. Xfer lfo tool.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:35 am

clayton.dickmann wrote:So you think its more oscillation/volume automation that makes the sound?

I typically use serum and a bit of massive.
I can't tell what makes a specific sound I haven't heard, but as to get non-regular effects would mean you'd have to have not straightforward patterns sent as audio SC you'd be working at some automation level anyway.

As you can run a complex and rhythmical LFO, for example, and change everything on the fly at any point and fit that into any new arrangement version, that seems to me to be more flexible.

I use Massive occasionally and I know it has great internal modulation as well, but in your case it may make more sense to keep it outside in its own device, depending mostly on how you want to work and the patterns you need. I don't know Serum, but many seem to like it.
Make some music!