Panning Mono reverbs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Subtonic

Panning Mono reverbs?

Post by Subtonic » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 am

Hi there,

I have been wondering about the correct way to make a reverb mono and pan a reverb on a return channel.
For example I have a mono guitar signal panned all the way Left and I am sending it's signal to a return channel with my "go to" reverb, Valhalla Room on it. I would like the reverb to be mono and panned all the way right.

Would it be correct to put a utility plugin after the reverb, with width set to zero, then use the pan on the channel to pan hard right?

I was wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages to this method, or if there is another way I could be doing this.

Thanks!

2pauluzz2

Re: Panning Mono reverbs?

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:50 pm

Yes, that would be totally fine. You could also leave it stereo and pan it, but you are the judge of what sounds best. There is no right or wrong.

Another technique that I like gives you the advantage of having both the dry signal and the wet reverb signal on the same channel. In my brain this kind of overview works nicer.

– Add a reverb to your guitar track.
– CMND or CTRL G to group it into an Audio Effect Rack. Name the chain "Wet".
– Create an extra chain (right click). Name it "Dry".
– Now you can add a utility after the reverb and pan it, either via the utility device or in the chain itself (the latter was done below).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99jx4ibt1ftvw ... w.png?dl=0

* Edit: if want to be a true minimalist, you could also leave out the utility device and instead set the "stereo" knob on the Reverb all the way to 0 (assuming you use Ableton's native reverb or another reverb that has this functionality). But that's just being picky – again, there is not right or wrong here, both techniques have the same result.

Subtonic

Post by Subtonic » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks a lot for the reply! Good to know I wasn't doing anything "wrong".

Yes, I've been playing around keeping the reverb stereo and panning it. Again, I wasn't sure if this was the best method, or if I should make it mono first. As you said, I suppose it depends on what sounds best for the track. To my ears making it mono before panning seemed to make it a bit smaller and controlled sounding.

Thanks!

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:18 am

You're welcome.

(Making it mono before the reverb sends the guitar's mono signal through the reverb, so the result is an effected mono signal with a stereo reverb.
Making it mono after the reverb sends the guitar's stereo signal through the reverb, so the result is an effected stereo signal with a stereo reverb which is then made mono).

I might add this little tip, which I think applies to anything audio/music related – you might or might not agree and I'm just some guy online, but here goes: although there are a few industry-standard techniques and approaches to sound, there really is no "right" way of doing things. The only thing that will ever truly matter is whether you think what you did sounds cool. If you think something works, commit to it and move on. If you come up with an FX chain that doesn't make sense to anyone else but you think the result kicks ass, use it. That can help in training your confidence in what you do. You'll find 100 different opinions online on what the "best" way is to do a certain thing, and of course it can be helpful to learn a few new techniques here and there, but in the end those artists who grow are the ones that learn to rely on their own judgement.

/ rant

Subtonic

Post by Subtonic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks Man, that explanation is really helpful and definitely clears things up for me :)

And yes, I totally agree that the important thing is that it sounds good, it just bothers me if I don't understand a bit about the mechanics of what is going on when I do certain things!

Thanks again!