Live 9 to 10 Upgrade procedure

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spagbol

Live 9 to 10 Upgrade procedure

Post by spagbol » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 am

So like, i downloaded 10, installed, authorized. All good. New packs are being installed as i type, its all just wonderful.

However, Im not one for keeping old versions of software that will essentially just clog my drive up when I've invested in the new, i mean why would you want to keep 9 if you now have 10? Posterity?

So, now I have M4L and 9 sat on my hard drive taking up space where 10 also resides. Its a small SSD that is dedicated only for Live.

My question is.....can i happily delete these M4L and 9LIve 9 now? Or is that going to screw up something i don't know yet??

No info on the website that i can find (quickly at least). So i thought id hassle you lot:D
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

Stromkraft

Re: Live 9 to 10 Upgrade procedure

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:46 pm

spagbol wrote:…why would you want to keep 9 if you now have 10? Posterity?
Compatibility for collaborator projects. None of my collaborators will update.
spagbol wrote:can i happily delete these M4L and 9LIve 9 now? Or is that going to screw up something i don't know yet??
Likely not. Zip them and delete the originals, reboot and see what happens. You likely also want to delete all the Live 9 folders in ~/Library/Preferences/Ableton as well as in ~/Library/Application Support/Ableton. Make sure you start Live 10 once so you get any specfici templates and what not.
Make some music!

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:27 pm

Ok thanks, that worked without any hassel.

Wavetable is sooooo nice........

Im really impressed with this upgrade, the whole thing with Push 2 feels so much more polished....
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

wayne.rudd

Post by wayne.rudd » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 pm

spagbol wrote:Ok thanks, that worked without any hassel.

Wavetable is sooooo nice........

Im really impressed with this upgrade, the whole thing with Push 2 feels so much more polished....

Wavetable on Push2 totally scratches my 'hardware synth' itch (having sold all my hardware gear, including OP-1) - shows the true potential for Push 2 going forward

Razz CE

Post by Razz CE » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 pm

I'm not 100 percent sure but I don't think you can uninstall max for live. It starts up with Live 10 and works more seamlessly with it but you still need to have Max installed - it's not a part of Live or anythin AFAIK. When I installed the beta I needed to install a new version of max to get the LFO and Shaper devices, so check that your Max is working. You might need to update it with the download link in your ableton account. Otherwise knock yourself out and uninstall previous versions of Live. The only reason I keep them around is for collaborations with people who might not have bought 10 yet.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:59 am

Razz CE wrote:I'm not 100 percent sure but I don't think you can uninstall max for live. It starts up with Live 10 and works more seamlessly with it but you still need to have Max installed - it's not a part of Live or anythin AFAIK.
Well, the Live 10 beta sure didn't use the MFL 7 on disk. It's MFL 8!

Exactly what "internal MFL" or MFL being part of Live means here I've yet to discover, but there should be no reason to keep MFL 7 unless you keep Live 9 (I will). I wonder if MFL 8 will also work with Live 9?
Make some music!

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:24 am

I deleted M4L and Live 9 Applications, Preference and Application Support files and Live 10 runs without problems as far as i can tell.