Live 10 System Requirements ... can't find anywhere.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
StewD

Re: Live 10 System Requirements ... can't find anywhere.

Post by StewD » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:41 am

Can any of the beta testers comment on CPU use in 10 compared to Live 9?
I'm on an older Win10 laptop right now and won't be updating that until later in the year. Wondering if I should put off upgrading to 10 until then too?

Jluxo

Post by Jluxo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:23 am

I too am on 10.10.5

So there is no chance that Live 10 will work on this os X?

How is high Sierra? I'll update tomorrow if all is well on High Sierra.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am

Jluxo wrote:I too am on 10.10.5

You need 10.11.6 minimum. Try to find an El Capitan install, High/Sierra seems to be quite shitty. El Capitan runs perfectly.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 pm

[jur] wrote:

You need 10.11.6 minimum. Try to find an El Capitan install, High/Sierra seems to be quite shitty. El Capitan runs perfectly.
macOS 10.12 "Sierra" is perfect and have fixed long standing CoreAudio bugs. I wouldn't get macOS 10.13 "High Sierra" any time soon.
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:01 pm

...i think some other usb audio related bugs were fixed with high sierra, but yes...zero problems with sierra here...in fact it feels like an up-to-date version of el capitain...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

meltboro

Post by meltboro » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 pm

I posted a workaround for older OSX versions at the thread below. I dont know if it can be trusted yet...but it seems to run fine. I wish someone would ableton would chime in and tell us if the version requirement was arbitrary or function based.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=229168&start=0

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:52 pm

I was on Mavericks also and was hesitant.. but to my surprise (atleast on my system), there have been no issues except for my slate digital VBC giving me a ESR file error.. not that big a deal for me as I can use other compressors.. I did back up my whole system just in case I needed to roll back, but High Sierra has been good to me.. Actually, Ableton starts up so much faster now..

iMac 4K
high sierra

djloomer

Post by djloomer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:02 pm

meltboro - tried your workaround on Yosemite 10.10.5 and doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 am

nuxnamon wrote:...High Sierra has been good to me...
Over here too.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) - only 8GB.

svebur

Post by svebur » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
[jur] wrote:

macOS 10.12 "Sierra" is perfect and have fixed long standing CoreAudio bugs. I wouldn't get macOS 10.13 "High Sierra" any time soon.
Greetings!

I wish I had taken a look into the forums earlier, but before upgrading from Yosemite to High Sierra everything worked flawlessly here.
So this is the first time for me I hear about these CoreAudio bugs. Do you have any more info for a newbie like me where I could find out more about it?

Thx in advance.

---

Oh, and just for sharing my personal experience with others:

My setup isn't the biggest or latest.
- Macbook 13" Late 2009, 4GB and a 256GB SSD plus 1TB external USB for finished stuff and data.
- Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Generation
- iConnectMIDI4+ for external synths
- Beatstep Pro, nanoPad2
The audio interface plugged in directly, the rest via active USB hub.

Previously this setup worked like a charm with Live9, but well... I wanted Live10 and since there's no support for Yosemite I took the path of least resistance, opened the app store and hit upgrade to High Sierra (10.13.3 now).
First I was like "Neat!" since High Sierra seemed to occupy less disk space, but then I opened some projects in Live9 and soon noticed a slight distortion after like 10min which evolved into a full "bitcrusher".
I started a test project with 3 tracks (1 Audio, 1 drum rack, 1 operator) and even the CPU load was around 3%ish the "bitcrusher" sneaked in after a few minutes. Changed buffersizes and such, but still the same result. Then I checked the internets for some info and tutorials and behold! The bitcrusher even sneaked in watching a video on Youtube. Same result for iTunes and VLC player. And always like listening to audio over USB for like 10 to 20min.

The 6i6 is still working fine in stand-alone, but over USB from my MacBook there's no chance making music. Audio over the Macbooks' headphone jacks is normal as well.

Not really sure what's going on here, but I kinda wish I had upgraded to El Capitan earlier maybe, but hey! Everything was fine with Yosemite and why change a running system, right? :D

Anyway, good luck to anyone upgrading. Hope everything will be fine for you guys.

sadfay

Post by sadfay » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Yeah, I'm also not happy about having to upgrade OSX, especially considering Apple being exposed as deliberately slowing down older software, along with reading about apps failing to work with the newer OSX.

Meh... No thanks. I'm a bit fed up with Apple overall, but I like my current system and it works.
It's not broke so I don't want to fix it.

I'm surprised Ableton aren't offering a version that's compatible with operating systems that are only a couple of years old.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:42 pm

sadfay wrote:I'm surprised Ableton aren't offering a version that's compatible with operating systems that are only a couple of years old.
I believe Live 10 is compatible with El Capitan, which was released in 2015. I have a Power Mac G5 that I bought like 12 years ago, it still works, it'd be cool if Ableton supported it too but I guess they need to draw the line somewhere.

FWIW, High Sierra has been fine on my mid-2014 MacBook Pro, I don't use a Firewire interface though, and also tend to do the bulk of my noodling outside the box, so YMMV.