Typo in live 10 very eye-tireing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yentzee

Typo in live 10 very eye-tireing

Post by yentzee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:20 pm

hi,
i am running live 10 on a dell xps 15 without 4k display.
now live 9 was blurry until i changed settings in compatibility mode but for live 10 this doesnt seem to change anything. maybe it is the typeset but it doesnt look sharp at all. any ideas?
Last edited by yentzee on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jestermgee

Re: weirs display in live 10

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:49 pm

there should now be options in Live Prefs to handle this kind of thing. Check release notes.

yentzee

Re: weirs display in live 10

Post by yentzee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:16 am

No unfortunately it is the font itself. Just installed live 10 on my macbook and it is looking the same. Not sure why they had to "develop" a new typo instead of just sticking to helvetica or whatever it was they used before. I cant see myself working with that for a longer time. Hope lots of people will complain so there will be an option to choose the old font instead in the next update.

pottering

Re: Typo in live 10 very eye-tireing

Post by pottering » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:27 am

-
♥♥♥

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:13 am

pottering wrote:-
Would this really be a problem for you if there was an option in settings to switch back to old typo? Great that you obviously like the new typo. I find it eye-tireing and would have thought twice before updating as I think about switching to bitwig for a while. If I had known about the typo I would not have upadated. So I am kind of screwed and now please explain your reasons to showthat you are against this option. Thanks in adavance.
Jens

daizok

Post by daizok » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:40 am

Font option would be the nicest option, as it's kind of personal. Having said that, give it a little time, my initial response was very much like yours, but after many weeks working in the beta, it really grew on me, and i don't want to go back anymore (the L9 font really feels heavy now). Not saying this will be the case for you as well, but it may be worth giving it a try.

strangedaysuk

Post by strangedaysuk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 am

Just to say during beta testing this was mentioned a lot, I personally like it, but others don't and its personal. They may very well develop a few different font types to keep everyone happy.

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 am

yes I have ti give it a go. Cant keep using live 9 after paying for the update really. and also i am looking fwd to the workflow improvements (not fuzzed about new devices)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Just to be pedantic; a typo is a "typographical error" which kind of fits the problem description.

But what Ableton have changed is the font, "a complete assortment of type of one style". Which indicates "type" may be the word the OP wanted to use.
Anyway Ableton didn't replace one typographical error with another. Unless that is the message here.
Make some music!

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Sorry I am not an English native speaker. I guess posting "Ableton hat die Schriftart geändert" would not have led to many answers. Working in healthcare I am not into those kind of things except if a font is replaced with another which causes me to post in a forum instead of making music or treating patients.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:22 pm

yentzee wrote:Sorry I am not an English native speaker. I guess posting "Ableton hat die Schriftart geändert" would not have led to many answers. Working in healthcare I am not into those kind of things except if a font is replaced with another which causes me to post in a forum instead of making music or treating patients.
I wasn't not at all trying to criticize your language as much as trying to understand what was meant.
Make some music!

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:29 pm

No worries. Really hoping to get used to the new font.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:08 pm

The font was an issue since the beta was released and one of the reasons I decided not to upgrade. It just looks small and much harder to read. I ran the beta on a iMAC, Surface Pro, and older 1080 monitors and it just does not look as good as it should for a $300 "upgrade". I was excited about the beta for the first few weeks but the novelty wore off and when I went back to 9 I hardly noticed a difference. Sad to say Ableton doesnt get my money this time.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:08 pm

If you really don't like the font and you want to feel like an elite hacker you can change it.
First read the warning at the bottom, ignore at your peril and then go to your Ableton Live 10 resources folder In Windows that's probably at
C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 10 Suite\Resources\Fonts
  1. Close Live 10
  2. zip up the fonts you find there title and put them in an archive and save it in two places.
  3. Now go find an OTF font you like. Something quite bold I's suggest, because Ableton have gone for a more slender look which suits hires screens but falls between the pixels on older screens.
  4. Go an find an Otf which you'd like to try. Personally I enjoyed AdobeFanHeitiStd-Bold which found its way into my Font library from some kind of PDF or Photoshop install I guess. Anyway pick a font, let's use the example of "comic-sans.otf"
  5. Take that "comic-sans.otf" font and copy it into your Ableton\Live 10 Suite\Resources\Fonts folder
  6. now, with the Ableton fonts all safely backed up ... delete the 3 named "AbletonSans" fonts.
  7. rename "comic-sans.otf" (or whatever you chose) to AbletonSansBold-Regular.otf,
  8. copy that and rename it to AbletonSansLight-Regular.otf
  9. copy that and rename it to AbletonSansMedium-Regular.otf
  10. Start Live 10
You should now see that the Interface is lovingly rendered in "comic-sans.otf"
The screaming noise you hear is Ableton's design team in Berlin shouting at their 4k monitors.

When Live10 updates it is possible that these application fonts will be overwritten, so if you are happy with your font choice and combination then save your modified \fonts folder as a zip somewhere outside of Live's folder tree. that way you can re-install it in future.

Warning
I am not responsible for any actions taken by you, or anybody, even me. All advice is provided by an idiot, and should be taken as such. I am not a doctor, I don't know whose kidney this is. Any damage to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. If you mess up your Live install just remember those backups you made. You did make 'em right? Also not my fault.

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Awesome. Thanks