Does anyone here use CleanMyMac?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
cpyatak

Does anyone here use CleanMyMac?

Post by cpyatak » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to clean out as much as possible on my MBP before going full install on the Live 10 Suite Upgrade. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with CleanMyMac, and if so, should I be worried about any files it may assume are "okay" to delete? I'm thinking about files from packs and projects that I've haven't used but want, or haven't opened in a long time.

Any feedback welcome. Thanks!

miyaru

Re: Does anyone here use CleanMyMac?

Post by miyaru » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:17 pm

I don't know the mentioned application, but I am not fond of such apps..... I'm a Win10 user myself, but have seen software doing wrong so many times when it comes to cleaning. The most beautifull way is to install a fresh OS of course, but that may involve a lot of extra work though. See how much space you use now, and after the installition of Live 10. See what software you can remove, what you don't use anymore. Then delete libraries you don't need anymore.

But stay away from cleaning software is my advice - though said I'm not a Mac user......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:44 pm

I've read a lot of people saying they have issues with that app, personally I would just stay away and delete all the Live files manually if you want to do a clean install.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 pm

i use it occasionally.

i've never had an issue with it, BUT i never let it have it's own way. i will let it scan and then i check everything manually before letting it nuke anything.

even so, i don't recommend it unless you have enough knowledge to know what it is doing under the hood, and how to recover from a screw up.

for finding big files on your Mac, i think Daisy Disk is the best. and Gemini 2 is good for finding duplicates.