Article> In Conversation: Quincy Jones

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Stromkraft

Article> In Conversation: Quincy Jones

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 pm

I ignored another episode for my coffee break and read this article about one of the greats, in my mind despite very little being in my style, Quincy Jones.

Some fav quotes from an article that I read in full:
“All I’ve ever done is tell the truth,” says Jones, seated on a couch in his palatial Bel Air home, and about to dish some outrageous gossip. “I’ve got nothing to be scared of, man.”

Putting aside the quality of contemporary songs, are there any technical or sonic production techniques that feel fresh?
No. There ain’t nothing new. The producers are lazy and greedy.

How does that laziness manifest itself?
Listen to the music — these guys don’t know what they’re doing. You’ve got to respect the gift God gave you by learning your craft.

Is there innovation happening in modern pop music?
"Hell no. It’s just loops, beats, rhymes and hooks. What is there for me to learn from that? There ain’t no fucking songs. The song is the power; the singer is the messenger. The greatest singer in the world cannot save a bad song. I learned that 50 years ago, and it’s the single greatest lesson I ever learned as a producer. If you don’t have a great song, it doesn’t matter what else you put around it."

"Musical principles exist, man. Musicians today can’t go all the way with the music because they haven’t done their homework with the left brain. Music is emotion and science. You don’t have to practice emotion because that comes naturally. Technique is different. If you can’t get your finger between three and four and seven and eight on a piano, you can’t play. You can only get so far without technique. People limit themselves musically, man. Do these musicians know tango? Macumba? Yoruba music? Samba? Bossa nova? Salsa? Cha-cha?"
>>In Conversation: Quincy Jones
Make some music!

stringtapper

Re: Article> In Conversation: Quincy Jones

Post by stringtapper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm

I've been sharing this since I read it yesterday.

Quincy is obviously getting old to let loose with some of the things he's saying, but I have to say that I agree with every bit of what he said about modern musicians not learning the craft.

The part where he talked about Coltrane's "twelve-tone music" was all fucked up though. He was clearly confused.
Unsound Designer

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:39 pm

stringtapper wrote:I've been sharing this since I read it yesterday.

Quincy is obviously getting old to let loose with some of the things he's saying, but I have to say that I agree with every bit of what he said about modern musicians not learning the craft.

The part where he talked about Coltrane's "twelve-tone music" was all fucked up though. He was clearly confused.
Nevertheless I had to listen to Jazz at Massey Hall (Apple Music link).
Make some music!

downfader

Post by downfader » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 pm

I think there are still people trying to push the envelope. I know a couple of experimenters shall we say. However these sorts of people rarely make it big or get a bigger audience as its not commercial material. Its probably true to say that every broad sound and genre has been done now. Its going to take a real genius to create something where everyone's mind is blown and says "this is new/radical" though

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 pm

It was a very entertaining interview, that's for sure!

The part that resonates with me, re: music, is the part about the Song being more important than anything else, and how many people seem to miss the point.

I think this is often especially true in electronic music. So much emphasis on the tools and the production, and not enough on actually writing a memorable song.

And yet, from an audience perspective, a memorable song is the only thing people will ever truly remember and seek out again... DAW, Analog or Digital, software or hardware, synths new or old, vocals or instrumentals, modern or retro... nobody really cares. They just want to hear memorable song full of personality. Everything else is interchangeable. Where's the song in your song, is what we need to be asking ourselves...
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:20 am

... I was around the White House for eight years with the Clintons, and I’d learn about how much influence Big Pharma has. It’s no joke. What’s your sign, man?
Pisces.
Me too. It’s a great sign.

Today I learned there are levels of DNGAF which are beyond understanding.

This whole interview reads like an excellent scripted satire. Except it's real, and we shouldn't really be talking about this but ...