CPU usage in Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: CPU usage in Live 10

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 pm

AWABI wrote: Reaktor 6 on one MIDI track, Wavetable, Ping Pong, Grain Delay and Reverb on another... Playing a few chords on my Push 2 gets the CPU up to 65% which causes audio to break up. Granted I didn't have Wavetable in 9 but I never noticed CPU usage this high before.

Audio buffer setting?
Make some music!

OLO

Post by OLO » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi,
did you check your Bufferzize?
I have my problem solved with increasing the Buffersize.
I'am not sure but i think the Bufferzize by default is one Vector / 64 samples.
Maybe this is to strong for some systems.
When open Live 10 without anything @Bufferzize 64 samples i have 2% CPU usage.
Same with Live 9.x
Hope that helps.
greetz...

vechung

Post by vechung » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi

I had the same problem. So I turned off SpeedStep in the bios and the problem went away. :D

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm getting Crackles as well.

Particularly using Reaktor 6 when opening GUI. CPU use isn't that high but it is crackling. Didn't have this issue with the Beta.

IMac Retina 5K Late 2015
4GHz Core i7
32GB Ram 1876 ghz
2048 AMD Radeon Graphics

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

UAD Apollo Thunderbolt at 44100 128 buffer size

Raising Buffer size to 2048 gets rid of crackles. Raising to 256 works as well but I used to be able to use 128 with no issues. Interestingly CPU use meter doesn't seem to matter it stays about 20% even with POPs and Clicks.

I think they decided to make some last minute change that didn't apply in the beta as performance was pretty good in the beta for me.

OLO

Post by OLO » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:14 pm

jlgrimes wrote:I'm getting Crackles as well.

Particularly using Reaktor 6 when opening GUI. CPU use isn't that high but it is crackling. Didn't have this issue with the Beta.

IMac Retina 5K Late 2015
4GHz Core i7
32GB Ram 1876 ghz
2048 AMD Radeon Graphics

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

Raising Buffer size to 2048 gets rid of crackles. Raising to 256 works as well but I used to be able to use 128 with no issues. Interestingly CPU use meter doesn't seem to matter it stays about 20% even with POPs and Clicks.

I think they decided to make some last minute change that didn't apply in the beta as performance was pretty good in the beta for me.
Hi,
i use nearly the same Config. the only difference is that i have 8GB Ram and High Sierra 10.13.1 and my UAD Satellite Thunderbolt @192samples
When you close the Reaktor window stop the crackling? Did you have a look to the Activity Monitor ( Kernel Task )?
Did you try a PRAM reset?
I figure out on my old Mac Mini ( 10.8.5 ) with Live 9.x, when the Hard Drive is > 60-65% workload the whole system slows down ( sporadically ) and the Kernel Task explode up to 800% CPU usage. My first thought was the old system, then i switch to a fresh installed El Capitan but the same problem. Nothing helps, in this/my case the only solution was a new Mac :(
hope you can fix
best....

andrepires

Post by andrepires » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi!
I'm having the same problem. Any news on this?
My PC is an I7 4720 @2.6GHz, 32GB RAM and 2TB of SSD, fresh windows 8.1 installation.
I have only Live 10 installed in it and I couldn't even run the sample project that opens the first time you open Ableton...
I created a simple project using a single Wavetable track a drum set and a violin from Orchestral Strings pack. The CPU keeps bouncing between 40 to 70%!
What is wrong?
My previous Ableton Live 9 installation never reached 30% CPU usage running in the same computer...
This is not good news... :(

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:57 pm

andrepires wrote:Hi!
I'm having the same problem. Any news on this?
My PC is an I7 4720 @2.6GHz, 32GB RAM and 2TB of SSD, fresh windows 8.1 installation.
I have only Live 10 installed in it and I couldn't even run the sample project that opens the first time you open Ableton...
I created a simple project using a single Wavetable track a drum set and a violin from Orchestral Strings pack. The CPU keeps bouncing between 40 to 70%!
What is wrong?
My previous Ableton Live 9 installation never reached 30% CPU usage running in the same computer...
This is not good news... :(
Stromkraft wrote:
Audio buffer setting?
As a side-note I halved buffer settings in Live 10 with my RME audio inerface (macOS 10.11) with the same or improved performance.

If it goes the other way something is wrong I'd say.
Make some music!

buj818

Post by buj818 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:01 pm

I been having same issues. Lots of crackling and high cpu load no matter the buffer setting. Ran everything through ASIO4ALL V2 and all crackling from current and previous projects disappeared, and my cpu load went from 60's back down to high 20s to low 30s tops. Although i think it should still be a bit lower for only running 4 tracks, 3 midi, 1 audio, its a start for me. Just glad to get that God awful crackling out of there. Not saying this is a permanent fix, but it makes it bearable for noW until Ableton gets it together and fixes the true issue with 10. I had zero issues like this in 9.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:35 pm

OLO wrote:
jlgrimes wrote:I'm getting Crackles as well.

IMac Retina 5K Late 2015
4GHz Core i7
32GB Ram 1876 ghz
2048 AMD Radeon Graphics

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

Hi,
i use nearly the same Config. the only difference is that i have 8GB Ram and High Sierra 10.13.1 and my UAD Satellite Thunderbolt @192samples
When you close the Reaktor window stop the crackling? Did you have a look to the Activity Monitor ( Kernel Task )?
Did you try a PRAM reset?
I figure out on my old Mac Mini ( 10.8.5 ) with Live 9.x, when the Hard Drive is > 60-65% workload the whole system slows down ( sporadically ) and the Kernel Task explode up to 800% CPU usage. My first thought was the old system, then i switch to a fresh installed El Capitan but the same problem. Nothing helps, in this/my case the only solution was a new Mac :(
hope you can fix
best....
I’m thinking it’s something graphics related. Haven’t done Pram reset before. I plan going to High Sierra. They probably tweak their software to the latest OS.

My next Mac will probably get the better graphics card as I’m thinking most issues I’m having is graphics related. Because my CPU use is only getting to 20%. I understand Live meter isn’t that accurate but 20% shouldn’t be bad for any system.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:52 am

jlgrimes wrote: I’m thinking it’s something graphics related. Haven’t done Pram reset before. I plan going to High Sierra. They probably tweak their software to the latest OS.

My next Mac will probably get the better graphics card as I’m thinking most issues I’m having is graphics related. Because my CPU use is only getting to 20%. I understand Live meter isn’t that accurate but 20% shouldn’t be bad for any system.
My experience with a 128-256 buffer is 80-90% before any hint of crackling. Occasionally certain plug-ins can give a short burst of odd sounds when opening up in Live, but this is rare.
Make some music!

Athaphian

Post by Athaphian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi There,

Just wanted to chime in. I also experience the crackling noises especially when Live is running in the background and when Im browsing in Firefox while playing some VSTs.

I had the exact same behavior in Live 9 when I enabled multi-core CPU. Once I disabled that setting I concluded that Live 9 ran much quieter and more stable so I never touched that setting again. Now with Live 10 it seems multi core is always enabled and I have that crackling again.

I already submitted an issue to Ableton asking if they could bring back the setting to disable multi core. Live 10 is pretty useless at the moment. I would definitely not trust this software for on stage use at this state..

Im on Windows 7 64bit on a Core I7 4770K @ 3.5ghz - 16gb mem
Using RME Fireface UCX (96k, 192 buffer size, but in Live 9 single core the 96 buffer size worked flawless)

I tried to disable SpeedStep in the bios, does not change anything.

Kind regards,
Last edited by Athaphian on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Athaphian wrote: I also experience the crackling noises especially when Live is running in the background and when Im browsing in Firefox while playing some VSTs.

Live 10 is pretty useless at the moment. I would definitely not trust this software for on stage use at this state..
Yeah it sux when things fall apart at a gig while you check your emails

Athaphian

Post by Athaphian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:06 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Athaphian wrote: I also experience the crackling noises especially when Live is running in the background and when Im browsing in Firefox while playing some VSTs.

Live 10 is pretty useless at the moment. I would definitely not trust this software for on stage use at this state..
Yeah it sux when things fall apart at a gig while you check your emails
Obviously that's not the reason. When this thing crackles like crazy when just opening a browser that does not feel very solid does it? Im not opening firefox on stage, but its not giving me a very good feeling either.. Live 9 had none of these issues whatsoever, so that feels more solid and Im less afraid it will crash or stop working mid session.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:25 pm

It's ok buddy, it was a half joke. We know you wouldn't check emails, that's very 90s. It's all twitter now.

Tried lowering your playback rate or increasing your buffer? I haven't experienced any of these audio issues myself. I have had hiccups when running at 96k with loaded projects under 9 on occasion but at 48k or 44.1k it's problem free.

Athaphian

Post by Athaphian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:40 pm

jestermgee wrote:It's ok buddy, it was a half joke. We know you wouldn't check emails, that's very 90s. It's all twitter now.

Tried lowering your playback rate or increasing your buffer? I haven't experienced any of these audio issues myself. I have had hiccups when running at 96k with loaded projects under 9 on occasion but at 48k or 44.1k it's problem free.
Yeah well increasing the buffer size fixes the glitching but introduces more latency... currently I have found a setting which 'works' for me with not a lot of cracks and still no noticeable latency... however I still feel this is going backwards coming from Live 9. So I hope they can re-introduce the setting to force it to single core.