Perhaps I may be the only one who didn't upgrade to 10?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: Perhaps I may be the only one who didn't upgrade to 10?

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:21 pm

downfader wrote:
H20nly wrote:i'll take the lack of response to imply there are none.
If you want to know about the new features there is a couple of videos on youtube (including ableton's own). Just search "Live 10 new features" and something will pop up. I know mags like Fact and Pitchfork have also covered it all, and its been on the news page of Ableton's own site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Ku5ptjzKw
i appreciate you taking the time to reply. i've been on the forum for the last 6 updates, so it's easier to sort out the wheat from the chaff and the rose colored glasses from the bemoaning here... versus trying to decipher the personal reasons/motivations for omissions or turd polish that an article writer may or may not be applying. But having said that, there don't appear to be as many threads/opinions as usual on the forum*

*maybe Stromkraft finally fixed everything!

I did find one thread that gave me much of the overall sense that I was looking for.

thx again

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 am

Well, to sum it up quickly:

+ Multiple clip edit is handy, although a bit of a misnomer. It doesn't let you edit multiple clips simultaneously, it just lets you view multiple clips, which you can edit one by one.

+ Groups within groups is very nice, and exactly what it says on the tin.

+ The new devices are great, although chances are high you're already covered in this area with VSTs.

+ Max for Live baked-in has made the M4L experience a lot smoother. I used to almost hold my breath every time I loaded a M4L device or a set containing one, but it really does seem more solid now. It's also great not having to update Max independently.

+ The colour coding in the browser is a super-lightweight but super-handy feature. I use to keep my go-to VSTs and native devices in groups.

+ Capture is very helpful for those occasions when you strike gold while just playing around without recording.

+ I think they've finally made dark themes usable. Kudos.

- The "simplified" automation view has made a lot of users frustrated. In a nutshell: if you like to add multiple automation lanes to a track, you're not going to love it, because Ableton have removed the collapse/expand automation lane button, so you're stuck with actually deleting the lane or seeing it. Also, if you are of the above mentioned inclination, you will also see all automation on all tracks when you are in automation view. So potentially a lot of automation lanes, then.

- The multiple clip thingy seems a little half baked, considering that users have been requesting multiple clip transpose forever.

- The "show all tracks" command (S), which collapses all tracks to their minimum width is a one way trip, ie. not a toggle.

A lot of people have complained that it doesn't feel like a .0 upgrade, while others point out that if you look at the price for a single VST, like Serum, you're getting a great wavetable synth plus some great FX units plus a lot of new features and improvements. I think that you'd be perfectly happy staying on Live 9, but once I had played with the beta for a while, I just didn't want to go back.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:34 pm

excellent!

thanks for that sporkles. definitely some good-to-know tidbits in there.

Happy Valentine's Day
*hugs*