MIDI Problems with vintage hardware synth Yamaha TX81Z

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spectre718

MIDI Problems with vintage hardware synth Yamaha TX81Z

Post by Spectre718 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi guys,

I'll preface this by saying I haven't upgraded...I'm still on Ableton 9 (last version). I'm having a weird MIDI problem with a vintage hardware synth, a Yamaha TX81Z I just picked up...cuz it was mega cheap.

Things to note: My Interface is a Focusrite 2i2 (no midi cable ports) the TX of course does not do USB MIDI. I am using an Axiom 25 as a controller.

When I play the TX (with MIDI out from Axiom to in on TX) I have no problems.

Axiom and Ableton speaking just fine. i.e., I can use Axiom to 'play' MIDI instruments in Ableton.

But, no matter what I try, I can't seem to get Ableton to route a MIDI signal out through the Axiom MIDI out, and into the TX. In other words, if I play a MIDI clip in Ableton, with MIDI out routed through the Axiom's out, the TX doesn't recognize the MIDI at all.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? I can't tell if Ableton or the Axiom are the culprit. Most of my hardware synths are newer, have USB midi link and no problems being recognized or utilized by Ableton. Most of my "go to" vintage synths don't have MIDI so this is the first time I'm encountering this problem. Was thinking maybe its because Axiom only has MIDI in/out no thru. But that seems illogical. Certainly Ableton doesn't recognize the Axiom 25 has MIDI out simply for it to be unusable.

Again, the synth was relatively cheap...but I hate to think I just sunk money into an oversized paper weight.

Richie Witch

Re: MIDI Problems with vintage hardware synth Yamaha TX81Z

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:34 pm

You don't mention if you changed the Axiom's MIDI mode. Page 32 of the Axiom manual says that you have to turn the USB-MIDI-to-MIDI-out feature on, and that then disables any keyboard actions from using the MIDI out port. So you would consciously have to switch back and forth, depending on what you're doing.

The only other thing that comes to mind would be if there was a mismatch on the MIDI channels, i.e. Live is sending MIDI on channel X, but your Yamaha is set to receive on channel Y. The Axiom apparently is sending on the right channel (or maybe all channels), but I would double check what channel that is and set the Live MIDI track to match.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Spectre718

Re: MIDI Problems with vintage hardware synth Yamaha TX81Z

Post by Spectre718 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks for your help. Didn't change anything on the Axiom though it makes sense that I would have to. I'll give it a go when I get back home tonight! Thanks