Ableton Live 10 - whats your favourite new features?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Ableton Live 10 - whats your favourite new features?

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 am

Tarekith wrote:It does not remember an interface as the default sadly.
bummer.

thx

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 am

Yeah, I was really pulling for this one myself.

The more I use the release version of Live the more I appreciate how much easier it is to arrange things now. Having a larger area to grab when moving clips feels weird at first, but now I like it as you don't have to be so precise when grabbing things. Ditto the new fades, looks so much nicer and just more intuitive to use.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 am

... i'm getting the sense that i might be whipping out the credit card soon.

what about Looper? did it get any love?

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Machinesworking wrote:They did a remix of the intro video, worth watching even if you have already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3UlKCqtZrc
That made my day. I was in tears...

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 am

Synthbuilder wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:They did a remix of the intro video, worth watching even if you have already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3UlKCqtZrc
That made my day. I was in tears...
:lol:

cheakypawl

Post by cheakypawl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Tarekith wrote:My favorite new feature personally though it probably just the way Live 10 looks now. With the new font and better graphics all around, it's like a breath of fresh air looking at the same software I've been using for many years.
Really? I'm surprised you say this.
The font is now smaller, less bold, and so even harder to read than it already was, IMHO.
It's less defined, kinda flimsy looking.
Time will tell...
Changing the way an operating system looks is a fairly common way to give the illusion of an update, I'll give you that.
OSX 11.7.2, MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2015), Live 11

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm

...capture + the new 32 step sequencer + the new midi clip view on push 2 = awesomeness!!!
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:54 pm

^^ I keep forgetting about the new step sequencer mode - it really is a great feature.

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 pm

H20nly wrote:^ :lol:

Angstrom wrote:Will a hiphop artist make use of a Bassoon? No. The Bassoon does not have utility to that musician, so to that Hiphop artist it would be a bad investment of capital.
my brain instantly went to this track by Casual of Hieroglyphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLFvWE72YM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ritsch, ratsch, klick

dlwhite

Post by dlwhite » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:35 pm

CAPTURE. This is what I have wanted for years. I do live looping starting with a drum trigger kit. Previously, I would sit down at the kit, play a beat, trigger a looper device to record the audio out of the drum VST. Looper did a good job of figuring out the tempo, then I could move on to playing guitars, bass, keys using normal clip recording. However, using Looper meant I couldn't edit the midi notes. Capture lets me do the same workflow but now I get the midi notes and can edit or switch drum samples as I please. Capture does an amazing job of figuring out the loop end points - though not perfect for longer playing before hitting capture, it's easy to change the loop length in the clip once captured. This was worth the price of the update.

I have been playing with Pedal effect. It's a better distortion fx than many of my Guitar-specific VSTs (Amplitube, Line6 Helix Native, etc).

Drum Buss is also already in heavy use as well.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:27 am

H20nly wrote:... i'm getting the sense that i might be whipping out the credit card soon.

Nope, personally I'm back to my normal thing, waiting until the upgrade is mature before buying, probably next November when it's 25% off like it usually is around Xmas. I participated in the beta and gave feedback so I'm not holding back from my duties as a fan in helping it to get stable.

Plus maybe they get a few new features that couldn't be added in the initial release. :)

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:07 pm

The beat repeat memory per channel on the push.
pfew, makes life a bit easier playing live.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
H20nly wrote:... i'm getting the sense that i might be whipping out the credit card soon.

Nope, personally I'm back to my normal thing, waiting until the upgrade is mature before buying, probably next November when it's 25% off like it usually is around Xmas. I participated in the beta and gave feedback so I'm not holding back from my duties as a fan in helping it to get stable.

Plus maybe they get a few new features that couldn't be added in the initial release. :)
yeah that might be the wiser play. i noticed that the upgrade price isn't anything i would call 'special pricing'. i also think that i like the look of the upgrade enough that 25% off would tip the scale.

having Live as a re-wire slave and still being able to use Push (1) puts a lot of my Cubase tracks back on the menu. that feature alone is pretty cool. Looper polishing would be welcome.

we'll see how long i last...
:x

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 pm

All three new effects are pretty good and the Wavetable is a nice instrument.

I also like Capture, as well as nested groups.

Caligula Cuddles

Post by Caligula Cuddles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:41 am

Just got L10 earlier this week, so I haven't taken a deep-dive into Wavetable yet (to be completely honest, I never got too deep into Serum because 90% of the features were too "active" for me and didn't have the organic feel that worked in my mix without infinite tweaking).

I'm really impressed with the Drum Buss, though, even if I did anticipate it to be redundant. It's actually really practical and really helps me with making the kick and hats feel a little better in the mix. I have a question, though: does anyone know what the "fixed" values of the compressor are on it? I'm assuming it's based off of the Glue comp, but it seems to be much more dramatic than anything I was ever able to dial in using either that or the basic compressor.