To push or not to Push

Discuss Push with other users.
tilliod

To push or not to Push

Post by tilliod » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Hello all,
I've been considering getting an Ableton Push 2 controller but the price puts me off a bit. Basically, I'm just wondering have other people found it to be worth the price even if you don't perform live?

Thanks!

8E

Re: To push or not to Push

Post by 8E » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 pm

What will you use it for?
How do you see yourself using Push?
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:48 pm

What part of the price puts you off? If you were to say "it's a bit expensive", what are you comparing it too that is more cost effective and offers the same kind of function? If price is the main hurdle my first response would be that you do NOT need it so look at something else. People that do not need something will question the price and it is then something you "want" and that is very different.

Price is a subjective thing.

If you are unemployed or living at home with your parents and have a limited amount of pocket money then looking at 60+ weeks of saving for it may make it appear as expensive and your mileage may vary on how useful you find it.

I come from a time though where a synth (or any hardware) was an actual investment and people that bought music gear did so because they knew they needed/wanted it and had probably spent years gushing over it, researching and after a year if they still wanted it would have sold themselves on it. Now it's just another product that flashes up in your facebook feed and makes you wonder (or ask random people on forums) if you should buy it. It's a question you need to really ask yourself, do I need it (and can I save the funds for it) or do I want it (and can I save the funds for it).

Why do you need/want it at all? You can do everything in Live without Push, in fact I used Live for years and created hundreds of tracks and ideas without Push so certainly not something anyone needs.

A new version will be released at some point in the distant future, you could also add that possibility into the mix and wonder then also if you should buy now or wait for the new version.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Mixed feelings about it.
Don't use it to produce but i use it for playing live with 2 (of the 3)bands i'm in.
Playing synths/drums on the pads and trigger samples clips and scenes.
For that it's brilliant but I wonder if a cheaper novation launchpad or push1 also can do the same trick.

Big let down is that the push little screen uses up 35% off my laptop CPU.
On a duocore MBP this gets me into CPU troubles with most live sets so you need at least a fast quadcore to run it.
For the rest it's a beautiful device.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:34 am

I use my Push2 for almost everything it can. This way, I can avoid looking at the computerscreen instead of making music. Is it expensive? NO! Is it a lot of money? YES! But it is worth every € it cost!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:39 am

I have a Push 1 and its very useful in my opinion. I don't use it all the time but what I do use it for is pretty important. I write with it. I find jamming on the push is where a lot of my ideas start. Its not completely necessary but its definitely convenient and kinda a luxury. Ive been pondering getting Push 2 myself. That screen really is gorgeous and my recent upgrade to Live 10 makes me want it even more. It is a bit of an investment though. $700-800 is a significant amount of money. Plus, I just bought a Digitakt so not sure if I "should" be dropping that kinda cash on more gear.
That said, ill prob have one within a month. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:15 am

Depends on whether you only work in Live or not.
I'm a DAW slut, shameless user of DAWs like they mean nothing to me once I've gotten to know them.
Push 2 is pretty much completely useless in Digital Performer and Logic, but Reaper has an awesome javascript that makes it work almost as well in Reaper as it does in Live.

It's really freaking great with the Drum racks, presto you now have the hardware controller integration of Maschine or SparkLE with Drum racks.
I'll say it, the note playing is still lacking, it loses focus on some tasks so it can be easier to use a separate keyboard with Push or do your editing on the computer so you don't have to stop playing.
It's still jumping through hoops to instantiate a clip in Session View, then jump to notes to play said instrument etc. and I always forget how to do that, but once that's figured flawlessly, I believe it will be fantastic.

If Live is your only DAW and/or you plan on using Live for backing tracks and playing Push notes live etc. I would go for it, but for some things a Launchpad and a midi controller keyboard are much better. Like being able to fire off Session clips while playing soft synth. I mostly play guitar live so it's not a deal breaker that you can't do those two things without switching etc.

8E

Post by 8E » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:41 am

It seems that the OP, tilliod, doesn't care. Let him speak first.
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

login

Post by login » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Get a PUsh 1 second hand and try it, that way you don't lose much if you don't like it.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 pm

just looking at price, consider how much you paid for your cell phone? `those truly are expensive little devices

the Push doesn't seem expensive to me, I would say reasonably priced

The Live 10 upgrade is another story...oi! :evil: