Timestretching midi clips freely?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gcp99900

Timestretching midi clips freely?

Post by gcp99900 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Hey guys. I'm having trouble figuring out a way of timestretching a midi clip in simpler (or any other way) without pitch shifting.

The warp mode sort of does it but only to a regimented bpm (x2 and a few other settings) which is no use.

I basically want to be able to load a midi track, say a vocal of someone speaking or even a pad sample, and time stretch it freely to fit with the tempo of the track or to suit your preference without shifting the pitch, and still play it as various notes up and down the keyboard.

I know you can timestretch audio this way but then you cant play around with they keyboard and use chops of the vocal in the same way.

Hopefully this makes sense, I've transitioned from FLstudio where it was super easy to manipulate samples, just select pro transient and adjust time mul and you had complete freedom over samples and could make new sounds and completely stretch out or shrink vocals without leaving artifacts or adjusting pitch at all.

If there's any device or pack that does this effectively then great!

Nestleo

Re: Timestretching midi clips freely?

Post by Nestleo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:00 pm

gcp99900 wrote:Hey guys. I'm having trouble figuring out a way of timestretching a midi clip in simpler (or any other way) without pitch shifting.

The warp mode sort of does it but only to a regimented bpm (x2 and a few other settings) which is no use.

I basically want to be able to load a midi track, say a vocal of someone speaking or even a pad sample, and time stretch it freely to fit with the tempo of the track or to suit your preference without shifting the pitch, and still play it as various notes up and down the keyboard.

I know you can timestretch audio this way but then you cant play around with they keyboard and use chops of the vocal in the same way.

Hopefully this makes sense, I've transitioned from FLstudio where it was super easy to manipulate samples, just select pro transient and adjust time mul and you had complete freedom over samples and could make new sounds and completely stretch out or shrink vocals without leaving artifacts or adjusting pitch at all.

If there's any device or pack that does this effectively then great!

first you need to differentiate terms midi and audio for yourself. Vocal samples and pads are audio, not midi. So your question is a little nonsense
peace!

gcp99900

Post by gcp99900 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:19 pm

The audio sample in an ableton midi track (rather than an audio track), ie. when you load a new midi track into ableton and drop audio in to simpler. I thought this might be obvious, maybe think before you start claiming nonsense just because you don't understand something.

Nestleo

Post by Nestleo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:51 pm

gcp99900 wrote:The audio sample in an ableton midi track (rather than an audio track), ie. when you load a new midi track into ableton and drop audio in to simpler. I thought this might be obvious, maybe think before you start claiming nonsense just because you don't understand something.
Okay, bro. Sorry (though you are stretching audio sample, not midi clip in simpler, but anyway)
Anyway, warp function in simpler or sampler is available from latest versions of live 9. Anyway preparing a sample on audiotrack first and then consolidating it and draging into a sampler looks good idea
Last edited by Nestleo on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

resident_m

Post by resident_m » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:30 am

You might need to check Simpler's warp mode.

When dropping a sample into an empty instance of Simpler, it analyses the sample and tries to set a suitable warp mode for you. Make sure it is not set to Re-Pitch, instead set it to Complex or ComplexPro.