Ableton Live 10 - whats your favourite new features?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Ableton Live 10 - whats your favourite new features?

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:44 pm

H20nly wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
H20nly wrote:... i'm getting the sense that i might be whipping out the credit card soon.

what about Looper? did it get any love?
Nope, personally I'm back to my normal thing, waiting until the upgrade is mature before buying, probably next November when it's 25% off like it usually is around Xmas. I participated in the beta and gave feedback so I'm not holding back from my duties as a fan in helping it to get stable.

Plus maybe they get a few new features that couldn't be added in the initial release. :)
yeah that might be the wiser play. i noticed that the upgrade price isn't anything i would call 'special pricing'. i also think that i like the look of the upgrade enough that 25% off would tip the scale.

having Live as a re-wire slave and still being able to use Push (1) puts a lot of my Cubase tracks back on the menu. that feature alone is pretty cool. Looper polishing would be welcome.

we'll see how long i last...
:x
lol! same here. I'm deep into Reaper lately, and relearning Logic to save some old songs.. so I'm busy for a while, but at some point I'll jump on it! From what I could tell the drum racks with Push feature is pretty awesome, but it's a bit of a hit on the CPU.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:26 pm

After some decent use I have to say the absolute best feature (for me) is the new capture feature. It is just so fricking handy and such a time saver to noodle around then just press a button and have your idea on paper. It's actually really inspired me since I like to find a piece of music in movies/tv shows that sounds good and play some ideas to it while I watch. I no longer have to pause, setup a clip and constantly stop, reset and try and record again. Just keep playing until i have the idea and it's done.

Lots of other cool stuff but that single feature for me is worth the price of admission.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:30 am

I was like "Meh" when we first started testing Capture, it was interesting but I didn't really need it.

Or so I thought.

The last few weeks it's helped me get stuff that otherwise would have been lost, and I'm using it more often than I ever thought I would. Just pop open Live, and let it sit there if you want while you mess about. Very convenient.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Tarekith wrote: The last few weeks it's helped me get stuff that otherwise would have been lost, and I'm using it more often than I ever thought I would. Just pop open Live, and let it sit there if you want while you mess about. Very convenient.
That's exactly how I felt... I use to have a good system where I use a foot pedal to start/stop recording for a clip and overwrite so I could just punch but after having many sessions where I would do my usual playing around hunting for ideas I can click on something I heard maybe a few patterns ago, dump it in and check if it was good or use it as a starting point.

It's really sped up getting the first few ideas down. Is there a way to dump a capture to a new clip from Push? Haven't looked into that yet.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 pm

I think there is a way to do it from Push, but I forgot the button combo.
Tarekith

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:35 pm

...it's "record" + "new"...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Cheers.
Tarekith

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:17 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Tarekith wrote: The last few weeks it's helped me get stuff that otherwise would have been lost, and I'm using it more often than I ever thought I would. Just pop open Live, and let it sit there if you want while you mess about. Very convenient.
That's exactly how I felt... I use to have a good system where I use a foot pedal to start/stop recording for a clip and overwrite so I could just punch but after having many sessions where I would do my usual playing around hunting for ideas I can click on something I heard maybe a few patterns ago, dump it in and check if it was good or use it as a starting point.

It's really sped up getting the first few ideas down.
my setup is the same way... with a 3 button pedal. i noodle until i think i have the idea somewhat memorized, then hastily arm the track and hope i don't run into technical issues or other sidetracking factors and capture the melody before it's lost forever...

... so... WOW! nice to hear that it works so well. i'm beginning to feel the credit card wiggling loose in my wallet.

i can also see where this might be really useful for vocals when i'm alone... instead of stop start do-over, it seems as though just keep going may be a more viable option than it has in the past.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Keep in mind capture only works with MIDI currently.
Tarekith

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Yeah, MIDI only. I'd think a similar feature for audio would be very demanding on the system. There is a M4L device called Hindsight which kind of does that, but it does require quite a bit of resources, and it really is more like a beefed-up Looper.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 pm

:cry: of course.

it makes sense that MIDI would win in this scenario.

that does take bass licks out of it too though... so the credit card is holding fast :P

still, i bet this KICKSFUKINASS with Push and other [MIDI] instruments.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Yeah the funniest thing about capture is, you still kind of forget it's there, and it's a repeatable pleasant surprise :D ... Play something nice while noodling, then go through the mental pattern of "Oh, that was good, better record it... oh wait! Ta-dah. Coool."

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Nokatus wrote:Yeah the funniest thing about capture is, you still kind of forget it's there, and it's a repeatable pleasant surprise :D ... Play something nice while noodling, then go through the mental pattern of "Oh, that was good, better record it... oh wait! Ta-dah. Coool."
this.

i want this...

my 2006 self should have had it. :(

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:09 am

...it's also fun/interesting to skip through the capture recording and change loop start, loop end, loop length...i got some nice patterns with this method that i otherwise wouldn't have been able to create...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

papawise

Post by papawise » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:38 pm

I'm missing a modular approach in this version.
I was expecting to be able to move the different windows to different screens and not just the arrangement view and clip session. Specially the MIDI roll and the plugins properties panel, would be great to be able to unttach them to a third screen.