Is there a simple audio send point M4L device somewhere?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Nokatus

Re: Is there a simple audio send point M4L device somewhere?

Post by Nokatus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:56 am

jonbenderr wrote:I actually managed to extract the bpatcher for use elsewhere. You also have to include the attached send and receive objects outside of the bpatcher and you'll still need the extra outputs on the plugout~ object.

I'll see if I can get some patch code posted later with the stripped down routing basics of the surround panner if anyone is interested and if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Ohhh that rocks, thanks!
jonbenderr wrote:If you think that screenshot is confusing, you should have a look inside those RoutingObjects patches if you have not already. Yikes!
Yeppp :D

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 am

So I think the best thing is to avoid the craziness of the surround panner and focus on the basic goal...

Decipher the dictionary outputs of the API elements to observe and set receiving tracks...
Simultaneously control signal routing to the plugout~ object...

Deciphering the dict stuff is the biggest hurdle I have.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Thanks again for looking into these; for me, not having peeked at the innards of M4L devices in years, making sense of those outputs feels like jumping into the (too) deep end of this :)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm going to take a peek at it later today when I get a chance.

I had already built a device during the beta for routing signals to my audio interface outputs to be used as CV to control my Eurorack but it was very basic and didn't employ any of the new API routing features. So I want to figure this out too.
Unsound Designer

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 pm

Well until stringtapper gets back to us, or until I wrap my head around this dict object...here's that bare bones device I said I would hook up earlier.

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/45 ... audioroute

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:05 am

jonbenderr wrote:Well until stringtapper gets back to us, or until I wrap my head around this dict object...here's that bare bones device I said I would hook up earlier.

Thank you very much! Holy moly, that is pretty much exactly the M4L device I was hoping for :). Works very efficiently and cleanly, too. I'm sure this little utility will see a lot of use on plenty of systems!

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 am

Awesome! Glad I could help!

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:19 pm

jonbenderr wrote:Awesome! Glad I could help!
That might be interesting indeed... Cool!

Noticed they've updated the LOM in the new L10 Beta. Haven't had time to dive into it though.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:08 pm

Very cool indeed; you can for example add dedicated send channels inside a group with this one. Saveable as a template alongside the rest of the group. Stuff like that.

And I don't mean sending to the main return/fx channels in the project, I mean creating dedicated returns inside a group, then placing this little utility (with its output muted) in parallel effect rack chains on those group channels you wish to send from. Have a passthrough chain with nothing on it for the dry signal, and additional chains for these sender device instances. Set them to send into those channels in the group with effects on them, and then you can simply control these "local" send levels with the rack chain level controls -- EDIT: you must actually do the level control with a Utility device before the sender ;) as the rack chain level control sets the output level of the whole chain, so it doesn't effect the level the signal hits the sender, a slight brain fart there. Local send levels mappable to rack macros in any case, etc etc. All sorts of coolness and routing hacks doable with this one!

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:17 am

jonbenderr wrote:Well until stringtapper gets back to us, or until I wrap my head around this dict object...here's that bare bones device I said I would hook up earlier.

I'd forgotten about this, but it works fine.

I'll dive in to spot the difference with the device that's causing me problems...

MrBoogie

Post by MrBoogie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:15 am

Any progress? I have been staring at it all night and couldn't for the life of me discover:
  • How the picker is set to display input or output options.
  • How the picker sets the actual routing. (is it the 'setIO12channel' magic word in combination with plugout~?)
I see huge potential in this for my Eurorack setup with Push 2. What I'm trying to create is a simple utility with 8 knobs, sending out their values to 8 ADAT outputs, and receive 4 channels, from 4 ADAT inputs. The ADAT connections being my ES-8 Eurorack interface.

MrBoogie

Post by MrBoogie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:44 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:Download the Outist device here.
The latest update fixed every last bugs.
If you are answering my previous post, I think I wasn't clear about my intended question, sorry about that. I'll try to refrase.
My question is about the actual internal workings of the device. I'm trying to learn these new features and since people here seem to know a lot more about this, I thought it was the right place to ask these questions:

How does the picker know what to display - input or output options - and how does it communicate with the plugout~ module to set the choosen routing?

Apparently it has something to do with the send and receive modules connected to the picker, since I don't see further connections between the picker and plugout~.